ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 07-17-08, 02:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

Bonnieboo will become famous soon enough
Question Bad med day. Help! (Vyvanse, Lamictal)

OK...this is my second week on Vyvanse 50 and second day on Lamictal (25, I think)...

I took lamictal last night, and my vivanse with a banana this morning (which has been ok in the past). The lamictal gave me pretty bad diahhrea yesterday, it's fine today. Also, my three year old is out of state with her father, and I'm anxious about that. I also had two cups of coffee last night when my focus went to hell and I had to finish my work.

This is what's going on.

Today, I am very anxious.

My focus is shot. I just screwed up a work task because I was trying to remember if I locked, or even closed, my door this morning. I was hyperfocused on that, and obviously I was hyperfocused on something else this morning, since I can't remember if I closed or locked my door.

I'm craving coffee to wake my brain up.

I'm starving.

I thirsty.

My vyvanse dose goes up to 70 monday...is this just evidence that that's good news because 50 isn't enough? Is it the lamictal? Am I dehydrated and short on potassium from the diahhrea? What could be going on?

Thanks for your help, guys. It means lot to me.
Old 07-17-08, 06:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

Re: Bad med day. Help! (Vyvanse, Lamictal)

So I just had an anxiety attack. It's really not over yet, just a little more manageable. Fun.
Old 07-17-08, 07:18 PM
Forum Guru

meriellyn has a spectacular aura aboutmeriellyn has a spectacular aura about

Personally, I wouldn't up the Vyvanse until the anxiety subsides. Higher doses of stims just make it worse for most people.

It's certainly possible that you got dehydrated or needed more protein. If you're thirst and hungry, you're not getting enough water or substantial food. I feel like crap and a half if I don't get enough water and protein when I take stims. Gotta watch that closely.

And I'm sure the coffee didn't help.
The Following User Says Thank You to meriellyn For This Useful Post:
Bonnieboo (07-17-08)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-08, 07:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

Thanks...

I really think it's my baby being gone, so I'm witholding judgement on my meds till she gets back, kwim? And I'll eat and drink more. Good advice. Thanks!
Old 07-20-08, 04:38 AM
Forum Guru

curseandablessi is a jewel in the roughcurseandablessi is a jewel in the roughcurseandablessi is a jewel in the rough

Sometimes we tend to forget that just because we're on the meds doesn't mean that ordinary life stressors won't still affect us, just like they do the rest of the world. Having the baby away, plus the stress of adding a new med doesn't help you i'm sure.

Def keep hydrated. If your symptoms keep up after the baby gets back call the doc and ask him what he thinks.
Bonnieboo (07-22-08)
Old 07-24-08, 03:43 AM
Jr Member

catseye is on a distinguished road

VITALLY IMPORTANT to take stimulant meds/psych meds with HIGH PROTEIN meals!!! This will drastically affect the metabolism of the medication. Eat first, then take your meds. Get up a little earlier if you need to, but really important to eat healthy high protein meals. For more info check out http://www.corepsychblog.com
Old 07-26-08, 06:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

Thanks. I am learning that, and your reminder and link are very helpful. I am not a breakfast eater, but now I manage to have breakfast every day. It makes a big difference. Since breakfast is hard for me to manage, I'm eating a high protein/fiber breakfast cereal with milk, and I find my days are even better if I have a banana. Coffee is out of the question, which is interesting, sinec pre-meds I might as well have had a coffee I.V. I took a lamictal break, and started again earlier this week. I'm up to vyvanse 70, and have been all week. I have had probably the most focused and stable days in my life this week. The second day on vyvanse 70, I felt a little speedie, but since then I've been great.

Thanks for all your support and help, all of you! It has meant a lot.