ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 07-19-08, 04:40 PM

failurebydesign will become famous soon enough
concerta vs ritalin

heyas,

I was taking ritalin 40 mg per day (10 mg every 3 hours), and it was working. My psych switched me to concerta (36mg), as i wanted something longer lasting, and she said it was identical to ritalin in ingredients but 12 hour action. However not only do i not feel it working, but i am getting moody and cranky on it. Concerta is no way relieving my adhd symptoms and i have difficulty concentrating on anything. over the last week i have supplemented it with some left over ritalin since the dose only lasts 6 hours even when i drink loads of coffee with it. I see a vast improvement in my mood/ attention when i do so. I'm considering switching back to original ritalin because of this. My question is has anyone experienced better results with a 54 mg dosage (should i consider asking for a higher dose?) or should i go back to what works??

thanks

ally
Old 07-19-08, 11:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,309 Times in 595 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: concerta vs ritalin

I think your doc is wrong in the ritalin/concerta conversion. You need a higher mg of ritalin to get the same effect as ritalin ....so for 40 ritalin, you would definitely need 54 or so of concerta ....don't ask me to fully explain the math ... but here it is ...
http://www.addadhdblog.com/concerta-...he-right-dose/

So the answer is yes, you should consider 54 or concerta before giving up on it .....
Old 07-20-08, 03:11 PM

Rdm3000 is on a distinguished road

Also, The time release concerta is only releasing half of the dose. 36 divided by 2. So your really only getting 18 Mg of ritalin at two different times a day. Thats a a huge difference and your going to get moody when your only getting half of what you use to get. Also, Dont increase you dose on your own. Always consult a doctor before doing so on adhd meds. they're very dangerous drugs when abused.

hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-08, 10:04 AM

failurebydesign will become famous soon enough

thanks for the replies guys. i admit i did try out a higher dose without consulting my doctor because she couldn't see me till friday. i was really cranky, had a horrible headache and was still tired after sleeping for 12 hours the night before. I told my dad that i was going to have another one 3 hours later because he was getting annoyed that i was irritable. but he agreed because he said if it didnt work we were going to switch bak to ritalin neways. So i had what i thought was a whopping dose 2 x 36 but for some reason it wasnt so whopping. it didnt make me feel high or like i was abusing drugs- just normal and happy and the bad side effects disappeared. Now of course i realise the consequences- if i tell my doc that 72 mgs worked she will think im abusing, but my dad wants me to stay on 2 concertas a day till i see her to avoid me going bak to my usual self. (i never realised what a ***** i was till i took them and thought of the consequences of my actions to others!). But i have to say i prefer two doses of this now than the ritalin because overall its smoother and i feel more normal- just able to concentrate and not binge/purge when the dose runs out (im bulimic as well). but cos of the expense i may just consider going bak to ritalin annyway. ahh decisions. the thing im worst at!
Old 07-21-08, 02:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

failurebydesign-

I read your post. I don't think that your doctor has prescribed you the right amount of medication that you require . First off , when you were initially rx'd 36mg of concerta that is only like taking 7.9 mg of ritalin three times daily so it makes sense that you were not experiencing much return from that dosing regiment as compared to your previous ritalin ir tablets. You should also know that since concerta releases 22% of the medication initially and then the rest throughout the day in three equal doses. It doesn't surprise me to notice that 72mg of concerta gave you a good response, as that would be about 15.8mg of ritalin 3 times daily, and probably gave you a little bit more benefit than your used to if your body is used to 10mg three times daily. You should call your doctor and tell him this and that you need to have your dosing increased.
Old 07-26-08, 10:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,309 Times in 595 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what you can do ... just meet with the doctor and say you sort of like the Concerta, but you're wondering if you need a "little" higher dosage because ...

Often the doctor will then take the hint and increase your dose ... but there's nothing wrong with say, "i wonder if I do better with a higher dosage."
Old 10-17-11, 06:21 AM

MrsPbio is on a distinguished road

I can't drink coffee shortly after taking concerta. I get the shakes real bad.
I've been on various meds for over 30 years. I switched to Concerta
When all the pharmacies in town ran out of Ritalin for several months. I like it.
It seems to last longer, but again, it is a fussy med- I can't tale any other
Med with it except my thyroid med- not even a single benadryl or cold med--
Try switching to tea or have your coffee half-caff or an hour later.
Old 10-17-11, 01:20 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

String has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud of

I agree with the poster who said that your doc didn't make a good conversion. If you were taking 40mg of IR, a Concerta prescription of 54mg would have been much better considering the release mechanism (and I've even heard some of the medication often doesn't get released).

By the way, I've been able to stay with IR. Often 4x10mg spaced every three hours like you. I like the flexibility, like on weekends, a lot better.
Old 10-17-11, 10:37 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

No. 54mg concerta is not equivalent to 40 ir Ritalin . Concerta 54mg is 12mg released 3 times daily and 10 mg released initially. It's about 40 mg total actually because 22 percent does not usually get the initial boost. Totally off actually. Concerta is weak, it stays in the blood stream forever and is inferior to Ritalin, Ritalin la, and focalin xr. Only after 8 hours was it shown to work better. It sucks period.
Old 11-03-11, 07:15 AM

captainEO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
No. 54mg concerta is not equivalent to 40 ir Ritalin . Concerta 54mg is 12mg released 3 times daily and 10 mg released initially. It's about 40 mg total actually because 22 percent does not usually get the initial boost. Totally off actually. Concerta is weak, it stays in the blood stream forever and is inferior to Ritalin, Ritalin la, and focalin xr. Only after 8 hours was it shown to work better. It sucks period.
I knew it. Concerta sucks
Old 11-03-11, 07:55 AM

Thanked 16,579 Times in 7,495 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Op ; another option is concerta with a Ritalin booster. Alot of people have had success with that combo. Bring your dad to back you up for trying the higher dose so the doctor wont see it as abuse.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 11-03-11, 08:39 PM

I was have been considering adderall my only issue us that while trying it , I seen sleepier and it's more difficult to write sentences and organize internal dialogue, this is initial response though , I winder why that would be though.
Old 06-20-14, 07:16 AM

gmolah is on a distinguished road

Concerta Dose: Getting It Right

By Dr. Kenny Handelman on October 15, 2006 514 Comments
Concerta is a newer, long acting preparation of Methylphenidate – which is the medication name for Ritalin.

It has been out for several years in the USA and Canada, and many other countries in the world.

Despite the fact that it has been around for quite some time, I still see dosing mistakes in patients who are sent to my office.

Allow me to explain to you how Concerta should be dosed.

To start off, we need to go back to the original Ritalin.

Here are the dosing guidelines for Ritalin:

Recommended daily max = 60 mg
Timing: as each dose only lasts 3-4 hours, it is generally dosed 3 times daily – i.e. morning, noon and 4 pm
It is not dosed too late in the day, as it may lead to insomnia
Children would be started at 5 mg twice to three times daily, and the dose would be increased upwards as needed.

When Concerta was developed, they used a fascinating technology called OROS. OROS refers to: osmotic-controlled release oral delivery system. What OROS does, is use the water in the gut to cause the medicine to be absorbed gradually, through osmosis. Suffice it to say that this new pill takes a medicine that has to be taken 3 times daily, and makes it once per day. You can see a short video of how this works here.

Concerta comes in 4 doses:

18 mg
27 mg
36 mg
54 mg

The way to convert Concerta doses into the equivalent of Ritalin doses is this:
Take 22% of the Concerta dose, and that becomes the effective Ritalin dose, three times daily. In other words, the initial 22% is quickly released, and the whole rest of the pill supports that dose.

You need to remember that not all of the medicine is released from the Concerta pill – about 10% is not absorbed.

Why?

Just picture a ketchup bottle – can you ever get the last bit out?

So, here is a conversion:

18 mg Concerta = 4 mg Ritalin 3 times per day
27 mg Concerta = 6 mg Ritalin 3 times per day
36 mg Concerta = 8 mg Ritalin 3 times per day
54 mg Concerta = 12 mg Ritalin 3 times per day

Here is an example of how some people get into trouble:

Let’s say that a teen required 60 mg of Ritalin per day – i.e. 20 mg three times daily.

If the doctor converts the dose of 60 mg Ritalin to 54 mg of Concerta – because they seem close, this can have dire consequences.

54 mg of Concerta is like 12 mg of Ritalin 3 times per day, so there would be a significant dose drop from 20 mg 3 times per day to 12 mg 3 times per day (i.e. a 40 % dose reduction!). It would be no surprise if the people noticed a change and felt that Concerta wasn’t working.

In the recent past, there has been approval in the US for 72 mg of Concerta for teenagers if needed.

Recent ADHD practice guidelines published by CADDRA – the Canadian ADHD Resource Alliance, suggest that teens and adults with ADHD may require up to 108 mg of Concerta daily.

To put these doses into perspective:

72 mg Concerta = 16 mg 3 times per day
90 mg Concerta = 20 mg 3 times per day
108 mg Concerta = 24 mg 3 times per day

To achieve these doses, you can use:

72 mg Concerta = two 36 mg tablets, or 54 mg + 18 mg
90 mg Concerta = 54 mg tablet + 36 mg tablet
108 mg Concerta = two 54 mg tablets

What’s the bottom line ?

If you or your loved one was switched from another form of methylphenidate to Concerta, and it seemed that Concerta didn’t work, please consider the information above.

You may even want to print this article, so that you can take it with you to your next doctor’s appointment.

Concerta is a great preparation of methylphenidate, and can work very well.
Don’t give up on it unless you are sure you have had the right dose.
The Following User Says Thank You to gmolah For This Useful Post:
donnac55 (08-16-14)