ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-08, 02:12 AM

Tweetie411 is on a distinguished road
I have no control over my emotions

I've come to accept the fact that I'm powerless to control my emotions. I no longer judge myself for it. It isn't true that everyone can just control their emotions.
Old 07-25-08, 02:23 AM
ADDvanced Member

merlin8015 will become famous soon enough
Re: I have no control over my emotions

You can't really control how you feel in a situation, you can though control your outward expression of those emotions.
The Following User Says Thank You to merlin8015 For This Useful Post:
Grafter (07-25-08)
Old 07-25-08, 02:25 AM

Mer, I have to respectfully disagree. It has not been my experience that everyone can control the outward expression of their emotions no matter what.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-08, 02:42 AM
Forum Guru

meriellyn has a spectacular aura aboutmeriellyn has a spectacular aura about

Unmedicated I have very little to no control over my emotions and their impact. Medicated, I have moderate control and medicated + meditation + therapy + a lot of effort to change my thinking I have a significant bit more.

Sometimes I still have little to no control though, but thankfully those periods are more short lived as of late.
Old 07-25-08, 03:47 AM
ADDvanced Member

merlin8015 will become famous soon enough

Tweetie, I have no problem with you disagreeing what so ever. I've always had a problem with not expressing my emotions or having delayed emotions to a situation. I guess I'm seeing this situation from a different side. I should have provided more information stating this is my personal reaction. I apologize I made a generalization that was incorrect based on my emotional reactions.
Old 07-25-08, 05:10 AM
Contributor

Sickle has a spectacular aura aboutSickle has a spectacular aura about

Okay, my sister has bipolar and she has a mood swing problem and she goes out of her way to separate her mood swings from her emotions.

You may not be dealing with just bipolar disorder and I would see the doctor about the emotional problem.
Old 07-25-08, 06:19 AM

Sickle, I hear what you're saying. I've told my doctor everything that's going on with me including my emotions. I don't really know what your sister's deal is, but my dr. said that bipolar is the reason I cannot control my emotions. So, my dr. said that ability to control your emotions is not a separate thing from bipolar. He said that the part of your brain that controls emotions doesn't work when you're bipolar. So, basically bipolar disorder is an emotional problem. This is also what all the literature I've read has said. It is a crippling, debilitating illness because of the inability to control your emotions. If you get treated right after the first or second occurrence of a mood episode, you may never have a serious recurrences. However, if you're like me and don't get diagnosed and get the correct treatment, medication and therapy outcomes are not as positive as they are for those who receive the correct treatment during the first mood episode. I wasn't diagnosed properly til about 10+ years of mood episodes. Unfortunately, my dr. can't do a thing about the fact that my illness has significantly progressed because it went untreated for over a decade.
Old 07-25-08, 06:19 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 20,437 Times in 8,303 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

On more than one occasion it has been noted that my response to sudden unpleasant surprise has been "primary".
Your emotions can easily get the better of you. After all, the limbic system is a more fundamental system in the brain than the cortex. Control of emotions is, therefore, an illusion.
I have been struggling with this problem all my life, hence the name Sarek. It is appropriate for more than one reason.

Humans are caterpillars who do not know they can become butterflies.
Old 07-25-08, 11:23 AM

Sarek, it's like being in a mental prison.
Old 07-25-08, 11:34 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,558 Times in 770 Posts
Grafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweetie411 View Post
Mer, I have to respectfully disagree. It has not been my experience that everyone can control the outward expression of their emotions no matter what.
I would say that everyone has the ability to control their outward emotions. Of course, that doesn't mean they have mastered that feat.

edit: Although my sister is BP, I don't profess to know much about it. My statement ^^^^ is solely based on MY OWN experience.
Old 07-25-08, 12:02 PM
Contributor

Sickle has a spectacular aura aboutSickle has a spectacular aura about

Tweetie, I can't imagine having that problem and I think you are a survivor. I just know that since my sister was like 15 before she was diagnosed with bipolar 2 disorder from the outside perspective it seemed like she was a different 'person' as she switched between up, down and normal and I asked her once if it was some sort of emotional problem and she said it was deeper than that, like it affected her whole being and when she isn't up or down she said she has more control over her emotions but everyone is different I guess and maybe that was my error in my previous post, elaborating on the little that I know being a sibling of someone who has bipolar disorder. I am a psych major in school and I think part of that was that I always looked up to her and we had a normal family until her breakdown and I guess I felt left out because we had to help her and I want to understand what happened to her and how she felt. ADD sucks to deal with but I can't imagine what bipolar disorder feels like, she said she wonders sometimes which one is the 'real' her and that must be terrible.
Old 07-30-08, 01:42 PM

Sickle, I don't feel like a survivor. I'll feel like a survivor once if I ever am able to control my emotions.
Old 07-30-08, 03:36 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 20,437 Times in 8,303 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweetie411 View Post
Sarek, it's like being in a mental prison.
Yes, but in a sense that we are both the inmates and the wardens of our own prison. Thus we serve our lifetime sentence.

Humans are caterpillars who do not know they can become butterflies.