ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 09-22-08, 08:51 PM
Jr Member

Laurenzartsy is on a distinguished road
Re: drinking from the ritalin comedown

I do the same - need a drink after i get home. I taper off my dosage at the end of the day - 20 mg in morning 20 mg early afternoon and then 1/2 pill (10) around 5-6. If I don't do the 1/2 pill, I drop as low as you can get - horribly depressed. Dr and I discussed it and this is the solution. If I don't do 2 doses a day, regardless, I taper off the last dosage 1/2. I get to sleep better when I take the 1/2 dose at 5-6 too. I still like my one beer when I get home but trying not to tonite. I too drink less now even tho i usu drink a beer a day.
Old 09-23-08, 03:41 AM
ADDvanced Member

tree oh tree will become famous soon enough

A beer a day is much better! I don't drink at all now. Generally I better.
Old 09-23-08, 08:19 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,476 Times in 750 Posts
SuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant future

I already know what yesterday was like.
....and I also know your tomorrow if you continue this path....I am you, in 30 years..
and I have nothing against mushrooms..
...it's the one drug you can not get addicted to, because you simply can't trip, every night....but I have a good sense of intuition, and I feel like you're headed for trouble.
....... you got a shrink with a prescription pad, that can adjust your meds.
life is LOOOOOOOONG when you make the wrong choices my friend.

Syd Barrett
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-08, 11:00 AM
ADDvanced Member

tree oh tree will become famous soon enough

You don't know my yesterday, actually I was at college taking up extra lessons, now I'm doing three extra lessons. And further more I havn't ingested any mushrooms this season, we only went picking.
Quote:
...it's the one drug you can not get addicted to, because you simply can't trip, every night....but I have a good sense of intuition, and I feel like you're headed for trouble.
What are you chattin' about? It can still be addictive. Maybe not everyday, but more 'I need to experience that' and blah.

Jeez-us, what is with all the fullstops? Having not drank for over twenty days or not smoked I thinK I'm actually doing quite well.
Old 09-23-08, 11:38 AM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 750 Posts
SuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant future

my apologies..
.....I get very afraid when I feel someone with potential, like me, is gonna be
wasted, like me.
....and have so much regret, like me.

I'm sorry if I was impulsive, but, you understand impulsivity right?

*smiles hopefully*

Syd Barrett
Old 09-23-08, 11:57 AM

carriie will become famous soon enough

Hi There,

I take Adderall and at the end of the day all I want is a few beers and it has been bothering me lately. I tend to go in cycles where the come down isnt so bad for several months, then it gets bad. Sometimes I have found that taking a small does of meds helps the come down and wont interfere with sleep.
I dont think there is anything wrong with a drink in the evening, but since we are on meds, there may be a negative synergistic effect.
Old 09-23-08, 04:51 PM
Banned

RoboticPaper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyADDmike View Post
I dont know if anyone else can speak for me but the comedown of ritalin makes me want to drink alcohol to prevent the aftermath...anyone have similar effects????
I personally don't, and the reason for this is that beer is a depressant, and when thats combined with the depressive effect of me coming down from the meds...not good. So no, I dont.

I will light up a J though.
Old 09-24-08, 12:27 AM
ADDvanced Member

browneyes_326 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyADDmike View Post
I dont know if anyone else can speak for me but the comedown of ritalin makes me want to drink alcohol to prevent the aftermath...anyone have similar effects????

Soooo glad that I randomly found this posting. I've only tried one drug, ritalin. I have no insurance and so stopped taking it ... am about to sort that out but was having a hard time deciding if I wanted drugs again ... because of the side effects I had.

1) The comedowns were bad ... from what I hear, quite similar to the comedown from a 'non-prescription' (no not over the counter ... the other kind of 'non-prescription') drug ... grouchy, irritable and wanting to drink

2) I had a very bad reaction ... first week of taking ritalin, I had drank the night before, had taken half my prescription, was coming down and had a couple beers ... heart rate and blood pressure went through the roof ... my roomy called 911 and I got a very expensive ride to the E.R. They kept me a couple hours, gave me an IV ... they suggested that being very dehydrated may have played a role ...

Glad others hate the 'side effect' of this drug and now I know that maybe other drugs would suite me better ...

Be careful & thanks again!

Old 10-16-08, 05:15 PM

MarshallB is on a distinguished road

alcohol usually made my comedowns even worse. I just turned into a zombie. From my experiences, the severity of your comedown increases with increasing dose of ritalin.

A better way to manage the problem is to try to decrease or eliminate the comedown effect. I was taking 20mg bid, and the comedowns were miserable. I started cutting them in half and taking 10mg 3 to 4 times a day and the peaks and valleys of the drug's effect were much more level.
Old 10-23-08, 01:02 AM

patrickbateman is on a distinguished road

Woh, until I came across this forum I thought I was the only one who craved alcohol during a ritalin comedown. I've been taking ritalin daily since I was around 6 years old, and only resently (i'm 21 now) i've been getting really bad side effects. I've tried numerous drugs to ease the comedown (xanax, valium, codeine etc) but the only thing that actually helps me is alcohol. During the comedowns I become bored, emotionless and I can't sleep.
Old 11-22-08, 05:43 PM

akamatheri is on a distinguished road

i used to feel the same way, dreading nightime when the cumulative effects of the days pills catch up. try taking st johns wort, its used to treat mild depression and it increases seretonin levels that help level you out bringing you back to a sort of equillibrium
Old 11-23-08, 07:47 AM
Banned

steven d will become famous soon enough

I think I have found a solution. Soy milk reduces the metabolism of Ritalin.
Old 02-12-09, 09:14 PM
Contributor

attention is an unknown quantity at this point

Methylphenidate=strong Dopamine RI+
Ethanol=
Ethylphenidate, A MORE POTENT DRI-'Wiki'

I now understand my journey Stemming from scripted supervised Ritalin and occasional Alcohol use to alcoholism better now.
Old 02-12-09, 09:29 PM

Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,006 Posts
Driver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I used to get back comedowns from Ritalin, but it doesn't seem so bad after taking it for a while. Never drove me to drink though I do enjoy to imbibe.

I take 10mg doses, so maybe my peaks and valleys aren't as bad as others.
Old 07-08-09, 12:10 PM

newbieadd is on a distinguished road

Hi ! My ritalin comedown lasts for 2.5 hours and is horrible and I've been searching a lot for the perfect cure because I really need R as a medicine. Here are some of my experiences for ritalin comedown cures, not in any particular order. It depends on the individual of course, but these work/don't work for me:

Zolpidem (Ambien) 10 mg = Comedown completely gone in 20 minutes,
Zopiclon 7.5mg = Comedown turns significantly easier within 20 minutes
Alprazolam (Xanax) 1 mg = Complete recovery within 1 hour
Codeine 30 mg = Decent wellbeing in 30 minutes, doesn't always work for some reason.
Temazepam = No effect regardless of dose, it just doesn't work for ritalin comedown. It's a mystery since it's a powerful sedative in other situations.
Diazepam (Valium) 10mg sublingual = Comedown goes away for 1.5 hours within 10 minutes and then comes back for a while but as much more tolerable
Lorazepam 1 mg = Eases the comedown but takes ages to work
Clonazepam 1 mg = Eases the comedown within 1 hour, sometimes fires a blank and doesn't help at all. Reason unknown.
Nicotine, 1 cigarette 1 hour after comedown began = Seems to balance the dopamine levels for the rest of comedown making life tolerable, only works for non-smokers though.
Kratom 5 g leaves chewed, comedown erased in 15 minutes. Used to be legal, but nowadays illegal in most places and as such out of my reach.

Most of these cures are addictive, but so is alcohol. Not for daily use, but when you really need to cut the comedown for some reason and have a prescription for them.