ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-12, 10:03 PM
Jr Member

chekingurl76 is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

All the time, especially when I'm on a drug holiday, because my adhd symptoms come back with a vengence and it totally shows in my work.
Old 03-18-12, 09:11 AM
ADDvanced Member

DeathMetal2000 is on a distinguished road

I don't know.
Old 03-18-12, 09:38 AM
ADDvanced Member

Ravenstar is a jewel in the roughRavenstar is a jewel in the roughRavenstar is a jewel in the rough

I am now... because I'm sick of this disorder being so 'invisible'. There's so much misinformation and bad stereotypes out there.

If I can help raise awareness by being vocal and visible then I will. Especially in adults.

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. ~Douglas Adams
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ravenstar For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (03-18-12), TobiMum (03-18-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-12, 07:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

YOUCANCALLMEAL will become famous soon enough

Most people that have known me for a long time already knew I was ADD LOL. It's not like it's not obvious a lot of the times. My wife, friends, etc would always say "you're soooo ADD" in a fun jovial manner, but it was obvious.

I would be more curious if you guys tell people if you're on Adderall or any meds
Old 03-23-12, 04:44 PM

musiclvr2675 is on a distinguished road
Re: [b]Do you tell people you have ADD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCruiser View Post
I'm pretty open about it with friends. Honestly, I'm not ashamed of it - I think I've made some huge strides in my life since my diagnosis, and I'm not ashamed that I have ADD. I'm proud of what I've done and overcome.

I've been with my current company for 3 years, and have received a promotion and transfer recently. Both my former boss and my current manager know about it. My former boss, I told her out of respect because I was going back on Strattera after pregnancy and breastfeeding, so I wanted her to know that if I seemed 'off', hopefully, things would level out soon.

My current boss, umm, well, I was drunk at a bar with him after a staff meeting . I was switched to Adderall from Strattera yesterday, and ended up telling him - the funny thing is, I found out he's also on Adderall and is ADD - I should have recognized it with his behaviors because we are very much alike. He also gives me hope that I'll make as much as he does one day .

I don't feel like I need to tell them, but for me, it's just a part of who I am. And I don't use it as an excuse - if I screw up something at work, I screw it up, ADD or not. So I've made sure that both of my managers are aware that I'm not using it to excuse anything, but if I'm not acting like myself, it may be a result of a medication adjustment and not just that I'm weird. Or I could just be weird .
Took the words right out of my mouth. I feel accomplished for getting this far in my life WITHOUT meds or knowing I had ADD. Now that I know and I'm starting my journey to find the right treatment I feel excited that I will make bigger and better strides in my life. I have so much relief for finally finding out what was wrong with me all this time because I could never figure it out on my own and I didn't even truly know what ADHD was, just one of the many that assumed it was a trend, I was in denial. As difficult as it is to embrace all the things I could've done better in my past had I known, I'm glad I know now and am just moving forward.
Old 03-24-12, 12:05 PM

HayesConor is on a distinguished road

I used to try and hide it but then I thought "WHY?" This was around the time I learnt the value of laughing at yourself, so pretty much everyone in school knows and if I feel like i need a ritalin I take it openly. And as you stop being so cautious you realise, No-one cares! They're all pre-occupied with their own lives. But yes, telling people, especially friends is very important. They will realise when you are out of control and give you the excuse to go for a walk or take your meds
Old 04-03-12, 01:04 PM

deeinsun is on a distinguished road

only a close friend & my dad as both of them are not opiniated & wont push their arguements of how I should deal with this. it is not a public topic i want to openly discuss so to the people i am not talking to sorry need to deal with me first then your wordly advice )
Old 04-14-12, 06:12 PM

Yes, I'm Trying is on a distinguished road

Depends on who I'm talking to. I generally refer to it as a "learning issue" (I don't think it's technically a "learning disability", but certainly affects learning) or, if I need to be technical, "executive functioning issue".

To close friends and family - yes, ADHD.
Old 04-14-12, 06:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,962 Posts
Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute

mostly just family and close friends, though im sure people suspect it >.<
Old 04-14-12, 06:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

PookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to all

lately I have told my Sups at work. Last one I had laughed at me everytime I reminded her of it. As if I was using it as an excuse for when I under perform. I know a lot of people I know don't believe ADHD is real which can be so frustrating because its hard to prove to people .
Old 04-14-12, 06:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

PookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to all

There was a period about a year and a half before I was diagnosed that I would get such bad anxiety before going to work every night that I would be crying constantly
Old 04-14-12, 08:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,050 Times in 7,239 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

NO WAY! My close family knows but I would never in a million years tell an employer unless in dire circumstances I needed accomodations. I want to be evaluated for me and my accomplishments, with or without adhd treatment. I wouldnt dream of telling anyone I take stimulants because the less educated will think of a toothless prostitute from 'intervention' and not the average american with a chronic disability.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (06-08-12)
Old 04-14-12, 08:51 PM
Contributor

demuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes, I'm Trying View Post
Depends on who I'm talking to. I generally refer to it as a "learning issue" (I don't think it's technically a "learning disability", but certainly affects learning) or, if I need to be technical, "executive functioning issue".
::nodnod:: A similar but even vaguer way I've head it put is telling people "I have some medical issues that sometimes make it hard for me to concentrate", which I really like for explaining things in a workplace or professional setting. It pretty much tells people everything they need to know and nothing they don't. Too, it's nonspecific enough that you could apply it to a lot of different mental health issues: depression, anxiety, etc.
Old 04-14-12, 09:02 PM
Contributor

demuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
NO WAY! My close family knows but I would never in a million years tell an employer unless in dire circumstances I needed accomodations. I want to be evaluated for me and my accomplishments, with or without adhd treatment. I wouldnt dream of telling anyone I take stimulants because the less educated will think of a toothless prostitute from 'intervention' and not the average american with a chronic disability.
Different strokes for different folks -- I'm actually not as worried about the performance end of things because I know that when I can focus, I rock at my job, and once I can get on top of this ADHD, I should actually be able perform at that high level consistently. So while that's a concern for me on some level, if word got out widely, I'd be more worried about people assuming I had stimulant meds in my possession, and trying to mug me or rifle through my desk for them. I don't know how big a thing stimulant abuse is in this neck of the woods -- it doesn't seem to make the news very much -- but it's not uncommon here for people who are on Oxycontin or other strong painkillers to have their homes broken into by people looking for the stuff.
Old 04-14-12, 09:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I never used to be people have asked more often that not because I lose focus so easily.