ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 08-11-08, 11:08 AM
ADDvanced Member

smileh1985 is on a distinguished road
Taking Adderall XR 1 hour after food

I've been reading posts here and I'm not sure if I'm taking my Adderall XR 20 mg correctly. I wonder if this has any relation to my weight loss? Probably not, but hey its worth a shot!

When I get up for work in the morning I always force myself to eat a bowl of cereal or a poptart and a cup of milk. Then I wait an hour and then take my Adderall. Am I doing this wrong ? Will I get a better effect if I take the adderall on an empty stomache? I just worry that the medication will wear off too soon if I take it really early in the morning.
Old 08-11-08, 10:44 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

wifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to behold
Re: Taking Adderall XR 1 hour after food

You'll do better with a high protein breakfast. The store with the red bull's eye logo has a store brand "high protein" cereal that's got 15 grams of protein per serving. Add milk and you're good to go. Or, Dr. Charles Parker has a recipe for a weird egg and oatmeal cookie. His blog on the importance of a high protein breakfast says,

"Said in a snapshot: a Protein Breakfastwill make the metabolic day work right. Breakfast directly helps with brain health.

"From a psychiatric medication perspective it works like this:
The psych meds are often helpful, but quite often create a problem if taken on an empty stomach. They hop directly into the blood stream and can create odd mental/physical feelings. They can kill the appetite all day.

"Further, psych meds only rearrange neurotransmitters ["reuptake inhibitors"], they don't build or create new neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters, in a word, come from protein. So if you only have a pop-tart for breakfast you are only poking the coals of a dying fire. Sure the carbs will carry you for the moment with energy, but we are using psych meds to actually have an effect on neurotransmitter activities, not carry you on fumes."

http://www.corepsychblog.com/2007/02...breakfast.html

Actual recipe:

http://www.corepsychblog.com/2007/02...eakfast_1.html
The Following User Says Thank You to wifeandmom For This Useful Post:
user123 (05-07-11)
Old 08-11-08, 11:31 PM

d2k1 is on a distinguished road

Try drinking protein shakes throughout the day. I usually make about 6 cups worth in the blender that I'll drink from whenever I'm passing through the kitchen. But yea, the addy will definitely suppress your appetite, for some its a temporary side affect, others will just have to get used to it or time their doses to wear off around dinner.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-08, 02:29 AM
Contributor

stealthology is on a distinguished road

I take my dose 30 minutes after eating. No need to wait an hour (for me at least). But anything less than 30 minutes and I can tell that the food I ate is interfering with the dose.

Why is everyone recommending a high protein diet? I personally eat a high protein diet (I regularly lift weights and stay in great shape) but I wonder what that has to do with the effectiveness of Adderall.
Old 08-12-08, 04:21 AM
ADDvanced Member

calvary1980 will become famous soon enough

the reason you go on a protein diet is to keep your weight up.

- Christine
Old 08-12-08, 07:34 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

wifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to behold

See third paragraph of the quote in my post above: protein is necessary for the production of neurotransmitters. The meds have to have something to work with.
Old 08-12-08, 07:55 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,475 Times in 750 Posts
SuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant future

it says, take with, or without food on my bottle.
.....I eat sometimes before, sometimes not....and it works the same way.

Syd Barrett
Old 08-12-08, 10:21 AM
Contributor

I can forget about effectiveness if I take adderall with food or within an hour or so of my dose. This isn't true for anyone else? I must be weird then.
Old 08-12-08, 11:47 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,475 Times in 750 Posts
SuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant future

I might be weird!
...............in fact I AM!
so they say.

Syd Barrett
Old 08-12-08, 02:57 PM

El Cid is on a distinguished road

afhjopie44, nice to meet you.

I also feel that when I take adderrall XR after I eat breakfast (lets say 2 boiled eggs or a bowl of oatmeal) It takes more time to feel the effects. This might be explained by the food physically reducing the absorption surface of the stomach, and therefore the absorption rate of the drug gets a bit delayed. On the other hand, If I take Adderall one hour or even half an hour before I eat anything, I can feel the drug kicking in my system faster. regardless of taking the drug after or before meals, it will get absorbed by the stomach and the amount of drug in blood will be the same in both conditions. So potency and effectivity of the drug do not get affected by taking the drug with or without food. It is recommended though that after taking adderall we eat something in the next hour of taking the drug since adderall reduces appetite. The only diet complement that have been mentioned as possibly having interactions with adderall is vitamin C (Contained in some citrics) but I have not been able to find any clinical or experimental studies supporting this (If anyone knows of one, please share)

Your lost of weight might also be because you are not balancing your daily protein/carbohidrate intake. You could talk to your Primary care to set a good diet regime. Also if you reverse your routine by taking adderall first and eating half or one hour later, you might feel that the drug is entering your system in a rate that helps you start the day better and hopefully that does the trick for you.

I hope this helps.

peace.
Old 08-12-08, 04:21 PM
Contributor

I would have to disagree with the part "the only diet complement that have been mentioned as possibly having interactions with adderall is vitamin C".

Acidic foods do this as well. I especially notice this with Adderall XR. The second release of beads doesn't hit me as hard if I eat something 3-4 hours into my dose. And I need to eat every 4 hours or so. I think some people are more sensitive to this than others though.
Old 08-12-08, 05:59 PM

El Cid is on a distinguished road

dgessler,

Amphetamines enter the stomach and will get ionized (Charged with protons by the acidic environment or high pH) An ionized amphetamine is not well absorbed (Less lipid soluble) and therefore barely any of the drug will get absorb in the stomach (I realize I mention absorption in the stomach, I really meant intestine, sorry) When the "charged" drug reaches the intestines though, where the pH is higher (less acidic) the amphetamine gets deionized (uncharged) and is more absorbable by the Intestine lumen.

It would be logical then to think acidic food in combination with Adderall will tend to delay absorption by affecting deionization but this will not prevent the drug from eventually reaching his maximum potency.

Thanks for your comment and nice meeting you.
Old 08-12-08, 07:05 PM
Contributor

Well here's a quote from Adderall's wikipedia page:

Quote:
Co-administration of acidic substances (e.g. citric acid) causes an accelerated excretion of DL-amphetamine while co-administration of alkaline agents (e.g. antacids) causes a marked increase in both retention and absorption of amphetamines potentially resulting in dangerously high serum amphetamine levels.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderall

It's also known that fatty foods increase absorption of Adderall. Also, from personal experience, taking in baking soda (mixed with water) after you take a dose GREATLY increases the potency of the drug. This is not something I recommend people trying at all though as it may be dangerous.

http://www.google.com/search?q=acidic+food+adderall
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stealthology For This Useful Post:
SpartanWoman (05-28-12), SuzzanneX (08-13-08)
Old 08-12-08, 08:49 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Tylerlee17 will become famous soon enough

Taking Urinary Acidifying (Cranberry Juice for example) agents Increases excretion of adderall, Urinary alkaline agent's Decrease excretion of adderall.

Stomach Acidifying Agents (ex. citric acid) Reduce Absorption of Adderall, Stomach Alkaline agents (Sodium Bicarbonate or Baking Soda, most antacids) Increase Adderall absorption.

Eating Fatty foods will delay Adderall Absorption and Prolong the eventual peak plasma concentration (when the medication reaches max bloodstream levels) of Adderall XR by an extra 2.5 hours.

Yeah I wouldn't mix baking soda or antacids unless it was accidently with Adderall. It will turn you into a jittery wreck. The only advantage I could see to mixing the two would be if you wanted to use it to stay up really really late and study (meaning you wanted it to potientially have insomniatic effects after 12 hours so you could study that night). - I'd rather mistakenly mix it with citric acid, atleast I won't feel nervous then heh.
Old 08-13-08, 03:57 PM

adddustin is on a distinguished road

hey afhopie44, i find my 20mg xr works far better on an empty stomach. it seams to me if i take it after food i really dont feel (by feel i mean see positive effects) the first dose(10mg) kick in but i do the second in the late morning. when i take it on an empty stomach i see positive changes within 35 min. you said your scared to take it to early in the morning in fear it will wear off too early, well i would suggest don't worry about it. get up in the morning and take your med on an empty tummy, in an hour preferably two, then have your breakfast. your probly not going to want to eat much now but eventually you will able to eat like you use to. as for wearing off too early in the day well unless you wait until two in the afternoon to take your pill then its going to wear off too quickly anyways, talk to your doctor about taking an early afternoon booster. i find i feel a 10mg xr in the afternoon just as strong as my 20mg xr in the morning, if i take my morning on an empty stomach and i dont wait too longin the afternoon to take the second pill. i hope this helps. i know it goes against all these scientist in here but this is just how it works best for me.