ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 08-13-08, 08:13 PM
Forum Guru

INaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of light
Biphentin

Has anyone heard of this med or tried it? My son's ped says she usually starts with this one with her patients. The only side effect she mentioned is with mild facial tics, loss of appetite, and difficulties going to sleep.

My son also had to do an ECG to check his heart because people with heart conditions should not take this med.

Anyone?
Old 08-13-08, 09:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,558 Times in 770 Posts
Grafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant future
Re: Biphentin

No, I've never heard of it, and that appears to be because it's not available in the States. It seems that it is very similar to Ritalin, Ritalin SR, and Concerta.

Dr. Kenny Handelman has a good write-up on it, though. Lot's of information at the link.
Old 08-13-08, 09:55 PM
Forum Guru

INaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of light

Ya, I realized that after I posted. Any Canadians here who have tried this? It's a stimulant ..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-08, 10:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

calvary1980 will become famous soon enough

biphentin is exclusive to Canadians it's methylphenidate extended release like concerta but some differences.

biphentin comes in 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 80 mg capsules. concerta comes in 18, 27 and 54 mg capsules. biphentin releases 44% of it's medication within metabolization. concerta only releases 22%.

Canada has a ECG requirement before starting stimulants, not sure if it's mandatory my psychiatrist gave me the requisite form and the stimulants at the same time.

- Christine
The Following User Says Thank You to calvary1980 For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (08-20-08)
Old 08-14-08, 05:00 AM
Forum Guru

calvary, are you on this med? ECG is mandatory but my son's ped gave me the prescription today and advise me not to purchase it until she received the results from the lab.

Quote:
my psychiatrist gave me the requisite form and the stimulants at the same time.
what does that mean?
Old 08-14-08, 05:31 AM
ADDvanced Member

calvary1980 will become famous soon enough

i'm on concerta at the moment.

a requisite is a labatory form. they used to come in white, yellow, pink I think but now they just print them out on the computer. the test have physian name, labatory name and health coverage the test listed are biochemistry (glucose, creatinine, uric acid, sodium, potassium, chloride, ast, alk phosphate, billrubin) hematology (blood film exam, hemoglobin, wcb count) immunology (pregnancy test, rubella, vrdl) etc. they have checkboxes beside them the doctors checkmark which test they want done.

I had to do an ECG, Blood Work and Ultra Sound on my Liver. but I was too tired after my appointment to do the test so I did it like 2 weeks into my stimulant, what hes trying to do is check if your son has a heart condition this is something Americans don't do.

- Christine
Old 08-19-08, 04:25 PM
Forum Guru

Thanks Christine, ya I'm aware of all that. I was hoping to talk with someone who has tried this med so I can get a better understanding on some of its side-effects. I know each person will have varying side-effects, if any, but it's good to chat with someone who's experienced it. Thanks anyway!
Old 08-20-08, 01:32 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

I found some information about Biphentin that might help you.(I've highlighted some of the text with color.)

Biphentin is a new formulation of methylphenidate. Methylphenidate is the same medication that is found in Ritalin. Methylphenidate has been around for over 50 years. Despite many concerns and warnings discussed in the media, it is a safe medicine, when taken as prescribed and monitored by a physician. It also can work very well. Approximately 70-80% of people with ADD/ADHD will have significant improvement when they take this medicine.
In Canada, methylphenidate also comes as: Ritalin, Ritalin SR, and Concerta.

Biphentin is a capsule - with little beads inside. This allows the medicine to be ísprinkledí onto soft foods like: apple sauce, yogurt or ice cream. This can help with children who cannot swallow the pills. In Canada, this is the only medication option for methylphenidate that can be taken by children who cannot swallow pills.

Biphentinís side effects are the same as the side effects of the other methylphenidate products.

Phaedrus

Old 09-24-08, 02:13 PM

ghost_40 is on a distinguished road

I started Dex in December,2007,.Worked well but had some side effects that I just couldn't take...I started Biphentin 3 months ago.And this is how it works with me.I take it at 10 am.in (60mg).It starts to kick in an hour and a 1/2 later.The +'s are:it stabilizes my mood swings very well,as my wife really likes,.It has less affect on my appetite then Dex.My personilitly is less affected most of the time,I feel more like myself on it.I find I feel normal on it..I hate that word very much....but it is what most people tell me.
The -'s are:It makes me tired most of the time.But as one pointed out,in a post, it could be that i'm just aware of the way I feel.The mood i'm in is usually the way I stay when the med kicks in.So I try very hard to be "cool,calm and collective"..I know,not easy by no means,another battle for us...lol...It makes me a little paranoid at times,but not to the point I cannot fight it.It makes me have a little anxiety at times but that is easyly relieved with my other meds.It has less effect on my blood pressure and my extremities the Dexedrine.And it has much,much,much less - effect on my love live...with Dex i didn't want boom boom at all and with Biphentin it is back to the way it was..But keep in mind,we are all different and stimulants effect us all so differently...this is the way it works with me...and remember....god love everyone....he just love the A.D.H.D'S a little bit more,that's why he made us with alot of talants...lol...I hope this helps you others in so way.
Ghost
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghost_40 For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (09-24-08), wonderist (05-08-10)
Old 09-28-08, 05:01 PM
Forum Guru

Thanks everyone!

My son has been on 30mg now for two weeks. He's been on Biphentin for a little over a month now (on lower doses).

The first week on 30mg, I finally noticed a difference. He appeared to be calmer and less resistant. Transitions were going well and he wasn't arguing a lot. These past 4 days though, I haven't seen any differences at all. He's picking at his nails to the point that they bleed. He does well when things are going according to want he wants but when life deals him disappointments, out come the tantrums.

I'm guessing the meds aren't working anymore? The ped suggested to change his meds after this because she doesn't recommend him taking more than 30mg for his size. I'm frustrated!
Old 09-29-08, 03:54 AM
Contributor

bobC has a spectacular aura aboutbobC has a spectacular aura about

Stimulants can increase anxiety which I associate with picking/biting fingernails. I also found rebound (medication wearing off) uncomfortable and increased my moodiness.

Personally spreading the dosage thru the day helped reduce both of these problems.

FYI, my doc started me out on older release drug with about 8 hours of duration. I found it wearing off too soon and made afternoons difficult. At first we increased the dosage, but it had more side effects and still did not work long enough. I found better results taking a smaller dosage multiple times a day for about 12-14 hours of duration.

Also I notice things are worse if I dont/forget to eat enough during the day. Also my anxiety + adhd symptoms are worse when I get a poor nights sleep.

BobC

PS.
Finding a good treatment of ADHD can be very difficult/frustrating. As an ADD adult who missed out earily treatment I applaud your efforts.
Old 10-05-08, 11:38 PM

snowybluebird is on a distinguished road

Hi. We switched my son to biphentin about a month ago. The main reason we did this was because he was on concerta and ritalin toether and this offered a single pill solution. He needed the ritalin in the morning with the concerta to give him an extra kick. The concerta doesn't have as much of a kick as the biphentin does. So far it is working out ok.

Just wondering if anyone who is on this has tourette syndrome as well? If so, what do you do to treat the tics with?

P.S.
And the biphentin doesn't seem to increase his tics or his anxiety picking.
Old 10-06-08, 12:02 AM
Forum Guru

Update: my son had a rough 4 days (as I've mentioned) but since then, he's been doing really well. I haven't experienced any problems. I spoke with his teacher and out-of-school caregiver and they haven't had any issues with him either. We have an appointment tomorrow with his ped and I think I'm going to suggest to keep him on the Biphentin. The only time of day we have challenges is in the mornings (getting ready for school) and that's before he takes his med. I think it takes anywhere from 15-45 min to kick in which explains his morning behaviours.

He's still picking at his fingers and nails though. I dont know if it's anxiety related or a fixation. He claims they're 'bothering' him.
Old 10-06-08, 12:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough

It's just another bead-release form of Methlyphenidate. It's a balance between Ritalin LA and Metadate CD in terms of release profile.

J
The Following User Says Thank You to JR1973 For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (10-09-08)
Old 10-09-08, 12:38 AM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1973 View Post
It's just another bead-release form of Methlyphenidate. J
what is?