ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 08-20-08, 12:14 PM
Forum Guru

Prusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation My friend's OCD is out of control - have meds stopped working after 10+ years?

Hi everyone!

My friend has severe OCD and has had since puberty.
I've known him for about 6-7 years, and he has never been so disturbed by compulsive thoughts and actions as he is now, not in the time I've known him.

I'm afraid his meds have just stopped working.
Is that possible at all??

He's had some really bad experiences with psychiatrists in the past, so he goes to his GP for help, and used to do all his medical research on his own, after which his GP has treated him.

He's on 100mg Citalopram (has been on Citalopram for 10 years and on the current dose for a little over a year) and takes pills to help him sleep.
He does not respond well to Oxazepam and the like, so he doesn't take those, but sometimes he takes half a sleeping pill during the day to stop the thoughts. I don't like that, I'm afraid he gets dependent.

He has been other some emotional pressure the past year that has eased up within the past few months, and has been getting worse for some time, but still "holding on" but within the past few days he has totally lost grip, his OCD is completely out of control. He is terrified in a way that I've never seen before - right out onto the edge where he is not even sure if he believes "there's something to it" in the middle of the day when things are worst. He told me yesterday he's felt borderline psychotic some of the time (fyi he's not psychotic, never been, but some of you may know the way he feels)

This "free fall" is about a week old by now, and doesn't seem to lessen it's tempo.

He is currently living in an institutional facility, from which he has been absent for about two years, because he did good on his own and was pretty stable and in control, but now he had to go back.
He tells me they've taken away his sleeping meds.
I'm not sure if they've just taken them during the day or if he gets one to help him sleep. I hope for the last, because I really think he needs to have a break from his brain at least just once every 24 hours to have a chance to bounce back.

He has had two long courses in Kognitive therapy which has helped him a lot to keep himself stable for 5-6 years, but he seems beyond the ability to make use of the methods he learned right now.
He's simply too far off.

What can he/we do?
Should he change meds?
How does he get a hold on things again so he can start "working" things out kognitivly again?
Is there anything I can say to help him?

What has helped you in his situation?

I'm hoping one or more of you have some experiences, thoughts, theories - anything - to share with me on this subject, as I am quite nervous on my friend's behalf. I feel for him, he is very strung out now, and is not able to seek help for himself.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 08-20-08, 06:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
Re: My friend's OCD is out of control - have meds stopped working after 10+ years?

Your friend needs to get to a doctor. In the meantime he needs to do what he can to minimize stress and anxiety. This includes making sure he is getting plenty of sleep.

ME
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
The Following User Says Thank You to speedo For This Useful Post:
Prusilusken (08-20-08)
Old 08-20-08, 07:26 PM
Forum Guru

Prusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to behold
Re: My friend's OCD is out of control - have meds stopped working after 10+ years?

Hi Speedo and thanks for your reply.

I'm sure he would be happy to sleep through all of this, but they took his meds and he can't sleep cause he's brain is racing with compulsive thoughts and anxiety. Should we - I mean as friends and family - talk to the people at the care center where he's at about maybe giving him back the sleep meds? (They are not doctors, not even nurses, and the place is actually for patients with Tourettes and Asbergers, so they do not specialize in OCD)

Is med induced sleep of any benefit at all?
I'm asking since I've never taken sleep meds, so I really don't know.

When you say he needs to minimize stress and anxiety, do you mean he should stop trying to fight his compulsions for the time being and let them "rule" him untill he gets to see the doc? It seems that and his sleep meds are the only things that can give him a momentary relief from bordeline panic. I mean he's obviously beyond anxiety now. He's downright afraid 24/7 and even as bad as terrified most of that time.

His worst problem right now has to do with magic numbers and symbols - should he fight against his compulsions at this time, or should he "work with them" to lower anxiety until he can get medical help?

Or are there other ways he could lower stress?
Meditation or something?
Any specific kinds?
Or something completely different?

His GP seems to be quite ignorant when it comes to OCD, but I have trouble getting my friend to see a psychiatrist instead, (and I understand why - it's a long story).
So we have to make do with that GP - and it would be good if we could conjure up some suggestions medwise for that meeting.
I know it's not in any way optimal, but I'm afraid it's the reality right now.

When he gets better again I'll do anything in my power to help him find a good OCD wise pdoc he can feel safe with if this should ever happen again.

Does anyone have experience with OCD meds that stop working after being somewhat effective for a long time?

Or is it maybe that he has just been under so much stress that those 100mg just doesn't cut it right now?
(I think it's 40mg over the recommended max dose used for depression but sometimes OCD needs more, and it should be safe.)

I'm sorry if some of my questions seem ignorant, but I'm at a loss.
I've never experienced my dear friend in a state where he seems almost unreachable before.

Last edited by Prusilusken; 08-20-08 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: Forgot the Q about sleeping meds.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-08, 10:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prusilusken View Post
I mean as friends and family - talk to the people at the care center where he's at about maybe giving him back the sleep meds? (They are not doctors, not even nurses, and the place is actually for patients with Tourettes and Asbergers, so they do not specialize in OCD)
He needs to talk to his doctor, or the people at the care center do. His doctor and the care center are the experts so maybe leave it to them? Maybe they know what they're doing...I can understand your concern though.

Coming off sleep meds. can sometimes be dangerous (depending on dose and type)...why did they take away the meds. if he's prescibed them?

Quote:
Is med induced sleep of any benefit at all?
I'm asking since I've never taken sleep meds, so I really don't know.
It's of some benefit if you're sleep deprived and can't sleep no matter what. The sleep you get on sleeping meds is very poor, you don't get any REM sleep which is the one you want.

He might have some real troubles getting off the sleeping pills at first. That should fade in a week or so depending on the type of med used and how long he's been on it.

Quote:
When you say he needs to minimize stress and anxiety, do you mean he should stop trying to fight his compulsions for the time being and let them "rule" him untill he gets to see the doc? It seems that and his sleep meds are the only things that can give him a momentary relief from bordeline panic. I mean he's obviously beyond anxiety now. He's downright afraid 24/7 and even as bad as terrified most of that time.
That sounds like a horrible situation..it could be withdrawls from the sleep medication but this is really something he needs to talk about with his doc.

Quote:
His worst problem right now has to do with magic numbers and symbols - should he fight against his compulsions at this time, or should he "work with them" to lower anxiety until he can get medical help?
I'm not an expert firstly. Do his compulsions harm anyone, including him? If it provides temporary relief till he sees his doctor and doesn't harm anyone, I don't see the problem. (again, not an expert!)

Quote:

Or are there other ways he could lower stress?
Meditation or something?
Any specific kinds?
Or something completely different?
Benzos are one of the main classes used to lower anxiety, this class of meds include vallium, xanax, clonazapam etc.

Another option might be an anti-phycotic..these are things his doctor should be worrying about though.

Exercise can help stress but it doesn't sound like he's in the best place to do that.
Quote:

His GP seems to be quite ignorant when it comes to OCD, but I have trouble getting my friend to see a psychiatrist instead, (and I understand why - it's a long story).
So we have to make do with that GP - and it would be good if we could conjure up some suggestions medwise for that meeting.
I know it's not in any way optimal, but I'm afraid it's the reality right now.
Maybe phone around and try to find a phychiatrist that deals with OCD. We can't give much good advice but a phychiatrist might be able to.

Quote:
When he gets better again I'll do anything in my power to help him find a good OCD wise pdoc he can feel safe with if this should ever happen again.
You sound like a good friend. This should be your priorty for sure.
Quote:
Does anyone have experience with OCD meds that stop working after being somewhat effective for a long time?
I don't have any experience with OCD meds but it's no uncommon for phychitric-type drugs to stop working.

Quote:
Or is it maybe that he has just been under so much stress that those 100mg just doesn't cut it right now?
(I think it's 40mg over the recommended max dose used for depression but sometimes OCD needs more, and it should be safe.)
Quote:
I'm sorry if some of my questions seem ignorant, but I'm at a loss.
I've never experienced my dear friend in a state where he seems almost unreachable before.
It must be scary for you. The best thing you can do is find a good pdoc that has worked with OCD people before, asking on the internet what medications would be good is a really bad idea.

If he's prescibed the sleeping pills then I don't see the harm of trying to get them back...unless they've taken them away for good reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to ozchris For This Useful Post:
Prusilusken (08-25-08)
Old 08-21-08, 12:55 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of

Sometimes if you confront people who are a bit autistic with too much change it will cause them a lot of stress and you start seeing things like increases in; anxiety, stimming, worsening of OCD, temper tantrums etc, etc.

If he has stopped taking his citralopram it is likely that he is experiencing SSRI discontinuation syndrome. Whomever is supervising his medication schedule needs to know that he is on citralopram.

Me
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 08-25-08, 09:18 AM
Forum Guru

Both of you thank you for your replies.

I'll be calling him in a few minutes.
I so hope he's better!

I wish I could get him to loose that fear of psychiatrists, but I do understand it.

See, both of us was misdiagnosed with schizophrenia back in the days and treated accordingly, and that hurt us both very much.
We have both been through years of therapy after being mistreated.
I myself have only now overcome that fear (one of the things that cleared up immensely when I found out about ADHD), and my friend has a long, long way to go, especially now when he is really ill.

So he's not going to see a psychiatrist right now no matter what we tell him.

Speedo: He could be a bit autistic. He's not diagnosed with it, but I've thought about the possibility before. And I have not thought about asking him if he maybe forgot to take his meds for some days on row. He may have.