ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 09-03-08, 10:42 AM

summersoff is on a distinguished road
what does it feel like when wellbutrin finally kicks in after 4-6 weeks?

well, the topic pretty much sums it up:
after about a month when the medication takes full effect, what should i notice? thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to summersoff For This Useful Post:
eleventeen (09-21-08)
Old 09-03-08, 06:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
Re: what does it feel like when wellbutrin finally kicks in after 4-6 weeks?

It worked for me on the first dose. But I am not taking it for depression so all I care about is the fact that it makes more dopamine available. You might have to wait a few weeks for it to kick in if you are taking it for depression.

ME
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 09-03-08, 07:17 PM

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

I noticed it first dose as well, and the depression seems to get better over the weeks, I expect it to get better... if I dont blow it... (that is, make this extra dopamine ****ed up by using more cannabis to feel "good") sigh.... sigh sigh sigh sigh.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-08, 01:46 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,309 Times in 595 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm one of those people who felt the effects of wellbutrin almost immediately. It's just that after 4 weeks or so, the side effects (being slightly irritable) declined.

You should feel better. If you're depressed, the med should help you feel better, sometimes a lot better. I felt more decisive, more energetic, more optimistic, less pessimistic, less hopeless, etc., etc. My recurrent depressions dramatically decreased. At a higher dosage, I felt more organized, less impulsive. I started to exercise more, eat more healthy, felt less impulsive, less addicted to chocolate and desserts of all kinds.

What's the condition you want treated?: addhd? depression? or both?
Old 09-04-08, 03:17 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Batman55 is a glorious beacon of lightBatman55 is a glorious beacon of lightBatman55 is a glorious beacon of lightBatman55 is a glorious beacon of lightBatman55 is a glorious beacon of light

The problems I'm looking for Wellbutrin to help with are:

inattentive ADD, anhedonia caused by former drug addiction, and mild depression/lack of interest in doing anything.

However, what complicates it is a co-existing anxiety disorder. I'm hoping that Wellbutrin won't aggravate it.
Old 09-04-08, 10:55 AM

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

Batman, I had bad anxiety and as far as I can tell it has been the Wellbutrin that has completely cleared it up!!!! and the depression.

The first day I took it I noticed that I was in control more... of my thoughts and more calm and such... its just gotten better and better. Now I'm in control more in social situations, I dont get emotional as much, and I don't have the real negative self-defeating thoughts, I look forward to the future somewhat a bit more.

I thought it would aggravate it too as I thought that was what it was doing before but I learned that was all placebo... it actually makes me calmer physically and mentally.

Edit: Oh yea, I have anhedonia too, and this has helped my days be more worth living if you know what I mean, and also like I WANT =, I finally have MOTIVATION to change things in my life so that I will be happy... working on it right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mincan For This Useful Post:
Batman55 (09-06-08)
Old 09-04-08, 11:45 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,309 Times in 595 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Well, give it a try ... and you may wanna try several dosages of it. For me, Wellbutrin XL has been great for my depression and impulsiveness, reducing both.
Old 09-05-08, 04:16 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Batman55 is a glorious beacon of lightBatman55 is a glorious beacon of lightBatman55 is a glorious beacon of lightBatman55 is a glorious beacon of lightBatman55 is a glorious beacon of light

The strange thing for me is I have a sensitive peripheral nervous system. I wonder if there is any chemical similarity between Wellbutrin and stimulants like ephedrine, as ephedrine gave me instant anxiety attacks, even at very low dosages...

I guess this translates to being sensitive to the adrenergic effects of stimulants??
Old 09-05-08, 03:35 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Captain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the rough

You get used to it in time. I felt like a puppy stomping maniac for a few days when I restarted wellbutrin, so if it makes you anxious give it a chance - you will probably get used to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Sanity For This Useful Post:
Batman55 (09-06-08)
Old 09-05-08, 05:02 PM

The first time I was on Wellbutrin, i thought it made my anxiety worse. Now going on it again, I realise it never affected my anxiety, it gets rid of it actually.
Old 09-07-08, 01:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

RecruitDir is on a distinguished road

Stick it out, I had taken adderall for a long time and never got a speedy feeling from it, but when I first tried Wellbutrin I felt like I was hyperactive on steroids, I ran about 3 miles to burn off the energy, and still was not tired. The speedy feeling lasted for about 2 weeks, then started to subside. A month later, no speedy feeling, just more motivated, energteic and focused (some feelings of euphoria that seem to come and go). The key is to give it time - it is unfortuante that Wellbutrin causes speediness in so many when started. I'll bet for those like me with ADHD, this causes a big drop-off factor as we are looking for immediate calm. It does come but it just takes time.
Old 09-08-08, 05:04 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

I wonder if Wellbutrin has a speedier effect on inattentives than it does on hyperactives..?

I'm ADHD-PI, so if some of you have the hyperactivity and still get speedy from Wellbutrin, just what would this stuff do to an inattentive?
Old 09-08-08, 03:17 PM

Wellbutrin never made me feel speedy this time around, it just made me calm and is making me more so as time goes on, I think Im almost at 3 weeks now... I actually have the ability to filter out some stimuli (but still register it, you know what I mean) and FOCUS! for instance this afternoon I was able to sit and watch a full movie with my girlfriend and only got up like twice (once for 2nd dose, once for peeing)
Old 09-08-08, 04:45 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

Mincan, thats great that your having success with wellbutrin. I think it has many positive attributes and strongly works against depression. Your experiencing all these benefits at 150mg ? Thats great -
Old 09-08-08, 05:36 PM

No, through a lot of effort, 'will', and CBT I am STARTING to feel these effects.