ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-08, 10:52 PM
Contributor

anonone will become famous soon enough
I can't read with out daydreaming

I can't read books. I love the internet, I've been on this forum all day infact. I learned to program independantly. But all those novles we got assigned in school (where's the picture of the smilyface trying to whistle innocently?) out of all those assigned books -in fact in my entire life i've only read one novle and I even skipped the introduction and a few middle chapters in that. I love to write, but I just can't read. Even on the forums I skip the longer looking posts =/ (yes, I'd skip this one too -if not for the title)

When ever I sit down and start reading... first off, I can only make out 4 characters accurately, and the rest are sort of messy looking or something like theres a blind spot there almost (but I've never been diagnosed with any eye things at all, nor do I think that's my problem, i'm just trying to explain what it's like). Does this sound about right, 4 characters with in your scope of literate vision? To illustrate, when I see a word like "independantly" I can clearly see the "inde" and even the "p" because it's so destinct a shape, and by judging by the last few letters which I can only sort of see, I just assume the word says something like independantly.

Often times, when reading a sigle, when I shift my eyes to the next 4 letters, I lose track of where the next 4 begin and I have to start at the begining again.

My second set back is that I daydream as I'm reading certain kinds of text. Most posts are fine, but every academic text i've ever tried to read sends me off on a daydream before I've finished two sentences. The worst part about this is that even though I get really determined and really frustrated, I go back and try again, but I just happens again and I can't figure out what to do.

Sometimes the words just don't seem to form sense for me. I'll get all the words read, and not have daydreamed, but the sentence doesn't tell me anything / idk what it's talking about. This sort of thing can happen for me on exams often too, but i've gotten used to eat. On read about half of the exam questions once and it works out fine, but the other half I have to read and re read up to as many as 5 times. I remember back in highschool, I used to just skip the questions that containtaind more than three lines of text because they just weren't worth enough points to justify the amount of time I would have to spend on them in order to answer them.

Also, I notice floaters in my eyes. They're little black hair looking things that drift about my eyes. Sometimes they will drift right in front of the text i'm trying to read and block out a character. The glasses sales man guy who was wearing a professional looking white overcoat dissmissed this as normal so I don't know (he sounded in a rush a little bit and didn't ask for any of the details).

Is there some way to get around all this so I can read my texts? Is any of this something you guys can relate to? I ran a quick search for daydreaming and I couldn't find too many posts oriented on it, though a couple that brushed on it. For me, I think its my most detrimental quality (with regaurd to acedemics of course) and creates an attention deficit when reading. Please post if you don't have this lack of daydream control problem too, i'm curious if it's rare, or synonomous with us guys.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to anonone For This Useful Post:
anamaxy (08-10-10), Bottomimpulse (12-31-09), meridian (12-30-09), simpleblue (09-19-08), Tetrahedra (08-17-13), Tony Stark (10-14-12)
Old 09-18-08, 11:13 PM
Contributor

anonone will become famous soon enough
Re: I can't read with out daydreaming

Oh, I should post some of the things I've tried to do for myself.

I take adderall every so often which at least gets some attempts to read out of me.

I bought some readers / reading glasses a while back and they can help with the navigation of longer words like "independantly" but they may be responsible for mild head ache developement.

There was a program called eye Q on those infomercials (which I hate endorsing here) and I tried it out but did not see the benafit advertized. Big surprise... I saw a marginal increase, which is an increase none the less, for those of you who are sharing the boat I'm stuck in i'm sure you'll check for a free distribution (at school or where ever). I tried a similure aproach called eye arobics where you look at a far away object and then near, and though it may have helped me with a squint problem, I'm still stuck at this reading barrier.

I have a pair of high quality shades that my uncle bought me, and I realized today that they can help mask the floaters in my eye greatly decreasing that distraction, but not eliminating it.
The Following User Says Thank You to anonone For This Useful Post:
Debra12345 (01-18-13)
Old 09-18-08, 11:38 PM
Contributor

amu_d is on a distinguished road

I was only able to read the first few lines of the thread

Meaning, your experience is normal for ADHD/ADD
The Following User Says Thank You to amu_d For This Useful Post:
gracenotes (07-08-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-08, 03:46 AM
Contributor

Johnnny will become famous soon enough

-just keep forcing yourself to read, when theres a will theres a way. Its good you know the problem and want to solve it and thats a start. I remember the same thing,In my case at first i found that i liked reading the descriptions of pictures i was interested in, then i would follow up on it with more information about it from another source. The first couple of times i read this much from the other source, the second time i read a little more, then the third some more etc etc.... then if i saw something else i liked i found myself reading more about it, then the last item i was interested in.... i found this was training my brain,

-another thing i found that was helpful for me, when i was totally lost daydreaming i would write out what i read in point form in a notebook, and that was just about anything from a story, to science, to learning another langauge i would make notes about everything i read and wanted to read... That way when i was more relaxed i culd come back to my notes and get the jest of what i needed to know

-dont get me wrong there are still many cases were i dont read everything, i read most of your post to be honest but not the 100% entire thing, and thats ok no ones perfect.. Glasses do help alot

-also i noticed that you say words dont make sense to you sometimes, in my mind i act out the sentences if its john doe walking down the street in the book, im walking down the street in my mind. Whether its atoms bonding to each other in the science text book, im bonding to the atom in my mind, i visualize holding them.. i just try to visualize things as best i can, and if i totally dont get a word i pass it off as a synonym of another word i think it could be and make a mental note of not knowing what it is...

i hope this helps you
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnnny For This Useful Post:
Debra12345 (01-18-13)
Old 09-19-08, 06:45 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

chamaleon has a spectacular aura aboutchamaleon has a spectacular aura about

i cant read the thread either.

I will try and read back in a while.
Old 09-19-08, 06:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,483 Times in 752 Posts
SuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant future

I gotta use a book mark and put it under each sentence, with a bright light on the book
and no noise, except the fan.

otherwise, I can't read either.
....I can read the net....but it's more intuition than actual words.

Syd Barrett
Old 09-19-08, 07:11 AM

toodistracted is on a distinguished road

I can't either.
I totally understand what it's like.

Old 09-19-08, 07:36 AM
ADDvanced Member

ArtfulDodger will become famous soon enough

While difficulty reading is definitely a hallmark of AD/HD, the severity of your inability to make out individual words makes me wonder if you have a problem beyond ADD... You may want to consider having that checked out, and also about the floaters, as that doesn't sound normal to me (at least, I don't get them, not black things).

I do have the daydreaming issue/mental block which makes it quite impossible for me to get more than a few sentences through a textbook or any other book I'm not extremely interested in. Have you tried listening to audiobooks? Obviously, not every book is available as an audiobook, but you might be surprised how many actually are. I have "read" a number of classic novels by listening to audiobooks which I would never have gotten through in book format. Some good links for them: http://librivox.org/ (free public domain books) learnoutloud.com (lots of fiction and non-fiction both).

If you're still in school and have assigned reading unavailable in other formats I'm afraid you'll just have to keep trying... but you should make sure that your educational establishment is aware of your difficulties. Often they are required to make provision for students with such difficulties/handicaps, and they may supply you with someone to help you study/explain the contents of books to you, etc.
Old 09-19-08, 07:50 AM
Jr Member

allaboutvin will become famous soon enough

Thank you so much for posting - all of you!

It gives me a glimpse of what it must be like for my 8 yr old son.

I get so frustrated trying to help him with his homework. I'll have his attension for 2 seconds, then he is off in his own daydreams!!

I totally get it now. This is a wonderful forum!!
The Following User Says Thank You to allaboutvin For This Useful Post:
Debra12345 (01-18-13)
Old 09-19-08, 07:55 AM
Contributor

Mantis is a jewel in the roughMantis is a jewel in the roughMantis is a jewel in the rough

Lol, I didnt read any of the post I'm afraid, but yeah, don't worry about it, reading is overated anyway : P
Old 09-19-08, 11:56 AM
ADDvanced Member

johnnyx will become famous soon enough

Yeah I get floaters too its normal for everyone. Check out this link for more info: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/eye-floaters/DS01036

If you have medical insurance go to a good eye doctor so they can proscribe you some glasses, it worked wonders for me. I can still read without glasses but the glasses just brings thing into better focus. So maybe with the correct prescription you can read all of "independent" instead of the first 4 characters.

I daydream also, sometimes read the same paragraph like 5-6 times. Take a reading break and go do something else for a while then go back to reading. Usually it takes me a good few hours to get into the reading.

Persistance pays off. Keep at it.
Old 09-19-08, 12:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

jmchamp has a spectacular aura aboutjmchamp has a spectacular aura about

Read while you're, uh, sitting down in the bathroom. I almost always take a book in there with me when I have to defaecate, what else are you going to do in there?
Old 09-19-08, 12:20 PM

jreese86 is on a distinguished road

You and I both have similar issues when ti comes to reading anone. I too couldn't read anything more than 2-3 sentences without completely blanking out and losing focus. That's why I spend so much time on internet forums, the responses are usually short and to the point.

I recently started taking Concerta and the problem completely went away. I just read through a whole chapter of Principles of Management straight through, page by page. Before all I could do was read the vocab definitions and try to piece together concepts.

The great thing about it is that now that I can do it, I realize why I had such a hard time doing it without the medicine. My mind is in such a hurry due to the stress of thinking "I can't do this" that I try rushing and getting it done as soon as possible. My mind moves over the words so quick that I just don't take in what I'm reading. Now that I understand my problem I'm able to read a bit better when I'm not on the meds. I still have a hard time, and it takes me alot longer but in a pinch, I know I can do it.

I just have to constantly remind myself to slow down. I still go a little fast sometimes on the meds, but the difference is that I am able to catch myself starting to do it and tell myself to slow it down. So when I'm off the meds, I do it more often, but now I recognize the problem and take action to fix it.

Hopefully my experience can help you. Maybe try to take steps before you are trying to read to prevent you from rushing. Try and read during times where you aren't limited by time, and in make smaller goals for yourself rather than trying to read a chapter at a time. Tell yourself to worry about getting through the page first, and the chapter later.

Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jreese86 For This Useful Post:
anonone (12-11-09), MerryBe (09-09-12)
Old 12-30-09, 10:02 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Delboy31 is just really niceDelboy31 is just really niceDelboy31 is just really niceDelboy31 is just really nice

Glad to be aboard. I just read your story....you could put me right in there with you. I'm always the first one finished because I haven't read the words correctly(can't tell you how many times that happens) or I've skipped enough to be happy that it's all over.

And like you, when the posts are too long I read a word or two and move on to the next paragraph determined to read this part, and then, well, I just skip to the end.
Old 12-30-09, 11:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,891 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I can't read books.
I have had this problem with all but the most fascinating topics.

Quote:
When ever I sit down and start reading... first off, I can only make out 4 characters accurately, and the rest are sort of messy looking or something like theres a blind spot there almost (but I've never been diagnosed with any eye things at all, nor do I think that's my problem,
I have a friend who is legally blind and he describes his vision the same way. I assume you are not that impaired, but perhaps have an unusually narrow field of visual acuity, this can cause dyslexia -- which, broadly defined, means any problem reading. Your eyes might be great for sharpshooting, but perhaps not for reading books.

Quote:
My second set back is that I daydream as I'm reading certain kinds of text. Most posts are fine, but every academic text i've ever tried to read sends me off on a daydream before I've finished two sentences.
This is a major way my ADHD manifests for me. it has always been a problem, meds seem to be helping.

Quote:
Sometimes the words just don't seem to form sense for me.
I get this too. Weird, huh?

Quote:
Also, I notice floaters in my eyes. They're little black hair looking things that drift about my eyes. Sometimes they will drift right in front of the text i'm trying to read and block out a character.
It's normal to have floaters (I have always had them) but a floater that can block out a character seems like a really big floater!

Quote:
For me, I think its my most detrimental quality (with regaurd to acedemics of course) and creates an attention deficit when reading. Please post if you don't have this lack of daydream control problem too, i'm curious if it's rare, or synonomous with us guys.
Yup it is a BIG problem. Coupled with dyslexia, it is part of the reason I never went into law -- there was simply no way I could handle the workload.

Here's how I deal:

1. Audiobooks are a definite help! iPod is great for these.

2. I read Kindle books (free samples mostly) on my iPhone (iPod Touch does this too with both Kindle and Barnes and Noble eBooks) where I can set the type larger and control the width of the pages since narrow columns seem to work best for me. This has actually helped immeasurably.

But I'm afraid neither if these techniques will help you much with textbooks -- unless there are audio versions for the blind that you might be able to request.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi