ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-08, 12:34 AM

alkaloid is on a distinguished road
long winded posts

So I've been lurking here a while, and I just joined up. I'm undiagnosed (hopefully find out something in Nov.), but I'm pretty sure I've always been ADHD.

Is it just me, or are there a lot of really long rambling posts here? What is it about ADD/ADHD that allows people to write these essays, but makes me want to close my browser window 1/4 the way through reading it?

Maybe those posts are for the medicated, because I sure can't read them.

I'm kind of just playing around, but it does seem odd that people write such long posts for people who can't pay attention.
Old 09-22-08, 12:41 AM
ADDvanced Member

jmchamp has a spectacular aura aboutjmchamp has a spectacular aura about
Re: long winded posts

I was thinking the same thing the other day, I honestly just skim a lot of them or don't even bother unless they are talking about something that I find of interest.
Old 09-22-08, 01:56 AM
ADDvanced Member

johnnyx will become famous soon enough

Yeah guess with ADD you just kind of ramble, their is no focus to your post.

If you could focus you could write a short and too the point post.

Also since it is the most people just tend to start typing without organizing their thoughts so while they are writing their thoughts come to them just like a stream of consciences form of writing.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-08, 02:11 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,231 Times in 8,581 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

That is really the beauty of our forum.
Everyone is free to read or not read what they want.
Imnapl (09-22-08)
Old 09-22-08, 03:09 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkaloid View Post
So I've been lurking here a while, and I just joined up. I'm undiagnosed (hopefully find out something in Nov.), but I'm pretty sure I've always been ADHD.

Is it just me, or are there a lot of really long rambling posts here? What is it about ADD/ADHD that allows people to write these essays, but makes me want to close my browser window 1/4 the way through reading it?

I'm kind of just playing around, but it does seem odd that people write such long posts for people who can't pay attention.
I tend to agree, but the easy answer to your question is the high IQs a lot of the people around here have, most of which have no reservations about "showing their stuff."

Oh, and I guess the rambling/scattered nature of ADHD might be a contributor, as well.
Old 09-22-08, 04:01 AM
ADDvanced Member

lollypop has a spectacular aura aboutlollypop has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkaloid View Post

I ramble a great deal in my posts, but I feel there are 2 reasons for this.

Obviously the ADD nature of struggling to keep to the point affects us in both verbal and written communication but for me personally I feel I ramble on this forum a lot because there is a huge sense of relief being involved in conversations where you truly realise everyone else 'gets you' they understand your quirks and why you are what you are and this creates the overwelming urge to blurt years of pent up 'stuff' we spill out in our posts.

On that basis I suspect this habit to ramble will settle over time as I get used to having this place and personally beleive this is the same for many others.

Of course the funny thing is reading other threads and scanning the page because I'm faced with a wall of text I cant take in, and when seeing this reminding myself I've done the same thing to others lol. As others said above in this instance if I read on or not depends entirely on the subject and my involvement in the convo (if any) otherwise I move on
The Following User Says Thank You to lollypop For This Useful Post:
ArtfulDodger (09-22-08)
Old 09-22-08, 04:44 AM

Can'tregister will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyx View Post
Yeah guess with ADD you just kind of ramble, their is no focus to your post.

If you could focus you could write a short and too the point post.

Also since it is the most people just tend to start typing without organizing their thoughts so while they are writing their thoughts come to them just like a stream of consciences form of writing.

Thats just how I used to describe my essay writing before I learn't ( time consuming ) strategies how to better organise wriiten material .I imagine its partly a working memory thing ,
Old 09-22-08, 07:56 AM
Contributor

Mantis is a jewel in the roughMantis is a jewel in the roughMantis is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, sometimes I get overwhelmed by this forum.
I want to know what everyone has to say but I just can't bring myself to read those long posts!
Old 09-22-08, 08:35 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,349 Times in 1,288 Posts
mADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond repute

As one of the foremost windbags, I'll say that I get long winded because I like having people to talk to. In my daily life, most people don't get me, and I don't have anyone to talk to in that way. So, coming to a place where people understand what you're going through, and where you can vent, really helps me to get things out. Additionally, I like to help people, and I think that the more details a person has, the more they can potentially identify with.

Oh, and it is also difficult to stay on one subject when your mind tends to run free on you.

As long as a post is broken up sufficiently into paragraphs, or even individual sentences, I can read the long ones without problem.

This is probably the shortest post I've ever written on here.