ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 09-24-08, 04:25 PM

Scatteredbrain is on a distinguished road
Unhappy I think I need a Vyvanse break, I'm afraid I'm becoming addicted.

I've got two children under the age of 3 and it's so hard for me to get things accomplished during the day with them. It frustrates me to deal with small tasks during the day without ADD medication and I end up feeling like a failure.

Back in July, my Dr. started me on 50mgs of Vyvanse. I had already tried Adderall, Concerta and Ritalin and nothing really lasted a long period of time. The 50mgs didn't do anything, so she moved me up to 70mgs a day. I was a functioning person for the first time in my life. My housework would get done without the 5 million distractions to interupt me, my kids were happy because I was on the ball with them and for the very first time ever I was getting organized. I was keeping up on my chores and felt as though I could finally balance life.

Not only that, but I felt optimistic and was able to stick to a diet to lose weight. Then, 70 mgs started wearing off after about 5 hours or so and I've found myself upping my own dosage to be able to stick with all of what I mentioned above. I like the optimistic, organized, on the ball, focused girl I am, but am now trying to chase that feeling by increasing my own dosage. I'm probably up to about 85ish mgs a day some days maybe 95mgs and that worked. Now, I'm noticing that tapering off again.

I'm afraid that maybe this is a sign that I might have a problem. The meds wear off, the optimism, energy to get things done and organization wear off..and it makes me want to boost up my meds again..and I can't do that.

I think I need a break but am unsure how. Do I have a problem or is anyone else experiencing this??
Old 09-24-08, 05:42 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

WarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the rough
Re: I think I need a Vyvanse break, I'm afraid I'm becoming addicted.

You can build up tolerances to medication, but raising the dosage by yourself is very risky. You should talk to your doctor. Perhaps s/he can suggest a different medication. The goal is to find one at such a dosage that you don't need to keep raising it.
The Following User Says Thank You to WarPhalange For This Useful Post:
Woman on the Verge (09-24-08)
Old 09-24-08, 05:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

Woman on the Verge will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarPhalange View Post
You can build up tolerances to medication, but raising the dosage by yourself is very risky. You should talk to your doctor. Perhaps s/he can suggest a different medication. The goal is to find one at such a dosage that you don't need to keep raising it.

I agree with WarPhalange, although I did mess with my dosage myself...I was only on 30mg (not that a low dosage makes it right). I think it would be best to call your Drs office to get an appt.
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes 'Awww!"
- Jack Kerouac
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-08, 06:25 PM
Forum Guru

sloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of light

How long did 70 mgs work well for you ScatterBrain? Has it been like a couple of years or a couple of months? If you wish to continue taking Vyvanse, I would suggest looking into ways to avoid building a tolerance. Maybe you could ask your doctor about that - if there is a way to avoid this tolerance building. Is this how it's been with ALL of those meds you tried?

Sorry this is happening to you. Best wishes for a good solution.

Sue
Old 09-24-08, 07:15 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Captain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the rough

When you start to get tolerant, it's frustrating but the only way to break it is to take less, not more. That is, take some breaks. That does wonders for tolerance.
Old 09-24-08, 08:48 PM
Jr Member

Brizzle is on a distinguished road

Just tell your doctor and they will help you take a medication holiday
Old 09-24-08, 09:41 PM

Scatteredbrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppitty-sue View Post
How long did 70 mgs work well for you ScatterBrain? Has it been like a couple of years or a couple of months? If you wish to continue taking Vyvanse, I would suggest looking into ways to avoid building a tolerance. Maybe you could ask your doctor about that - if there is a way to avoid this tolerance building. Is this how it's been with ALL of those meds you tried?

Sorry this is happening to you. Best wishes for a good solution.

Sue
It worked well for about about 2 months. After that is when I noticed it tapering off more and my tolerence started in. As far as the other medications go, Adderall made me an emotional mess, Concerta was alright for helping control distractions, but never gave me the skill of organization and feeling like I could get things done. Same thing with Ritalin. Vyvanse has been the most helpful out of all of them, it's just the tolerance level that's becoming the problem.
Old 09-26-08, 12:57 PM

maggieh is on a distinguished road

You get tolerant of ADD drugs? How long does it take to build up a tolerance?
Old 09-27-08, 03:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

ikgbixcal has a little shameless behaviour in the past

yea i had to move up to 90mg the second day i got em cause one didnt do anything and 90 is i would say is sumwhat good for me. dont worry about addiction keep taking the meds like the docs says and talk to them about it.

(Lisdexamfetamine was developed so that the psychostimulant is released and activated more slowly as the prodrug molecule is hydrolyzed—consequently cleaving off the amino acid-during the first pass through the intestines and/or the liver)

it's a pro-drug therefor it cant be abused.A pro-drug means that the active medicine is bound to a protein, so it doesn't work as an amphetamine when it is first taken. It only starts to work after it is swallowed and goes through the liver (the first step a medicine takes when leaving the stomach). When it goes through the liver, the liver cuts off the protein, and then it becomes an active medicine

So if you take it as perscribed you will not get addicted to it. i hope this changes your mind about vyvanse. Thanks For Reading and i hope you read it. Peace Joe D.
Old 09-27-08, 03:46 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

WarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the rough

Actually, that's not entirely accurate.

It can't be abused the way drugs like Ritalin are, in that you can't just crush them and snort them, or inject them, or get a huge boost from taking a lot at once. You can't really do that with Vyvanse because there is a cap on how fast your liver can digest the medicine, so if you just kept increasing the dosage to get a bigger high, you'd get diminishing returns and eventually no improvement. But you can still OD on Vyvanse if you're not used to it and take a big dose. So if you aren't used to it you can take pretty big doses and still get a "high" from it. It's just that you won't be able to keep taking more and more because your body just won't be able to transform it fast enough.

And addiction is always a possibility, but the way the body usually gets an addiction is because the chemicals to get you "high" leave the body really fast. For example something like crack cocaine has a very short half-life, meaning it leaves the body very quickly. Your body has a hard time going back to normal chemical levels since the change is happening so fast and that's why you get a craving for it. On the other hand something like marijuana (THC) or prozac stay in your system for quite some time, so your body slowly adjusts to getting rid of the chemicals and you don't feel a craving (at least physically).

This is why with some anti-depressants and stimulants if you take them daily and forget to take them one day you feel like crap. Vyvanse is better suited for it because it slowly ramps up how much is in your system and also slowly stops supplying it instead of abruptly, so it's easier to adjust.

Moreover, the doses that are prescribed aren't meant to give you a giant boost like Speed would, so it's easier for your body to handle.

So in conclusion it's not likely for you to get addicted. Building up tolerance is normal, so you have to talk to your doc if it's better to up the dosage or switch to a different med.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WarPhalange For This Useful Post:
425runner (05-10-12), demo3210 (06-09-10)
Old 09-27-08, 03:52 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieh View Post
You get tolerant of ADD drugs? How long does it take to build up a tolerance?
You can build up tolerance to most drugs if I'm not mistaken. Even something like arsenic*.

ADD drugs are stimulants, similar to caffeine, so you can definitely build up tolerance. How fast you do it depends on the drug and it's also possible to get to a point where your body isn't building up anymore. I'm not quite sure how that works, though.

*I read a story that a lady was slowly poisoning her husband with arsenic and he built up tolerance to the point where she was giving him lethal doses and he was sick, but still alive. I would NOT do this, ever, though. Not a good idea.
Old 09-27-08, 08:16 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough

Have you tried Focalin XR or Daytrana? Focalin XR won't last you longer than 5-6 hours but maybe your doctor would allow you 2 capsules a day.

Daytrana takes a good hour or two to kick in but once it does you have up to 15 hours of continuous dosing with no ups or downs. Either you remove the patch or it runs out. The patch dosing is a bit misleading because the advertised dosing is if you wear it for 9 hours. The fine print on the packaging tells the total patch content if you wear it all day. Shire (via Noven Pharma.) has an amphetamine patch in early trials but that is probably about 3 years away from market (at least).

Have you tried regular Dexedrine? Usual standard dosing with Dexedrine IR is 10mg 3x a day. Extended release spansules (about 6 hour length) are also available too. Same amphetamine isomer that is in Vyvanse but much cheaper.

Anyways, that 70mg of Vyvanse really isn't a large dose (only contains 21mg of amphetamine). Keep working with your doctor and keep us informed!

J
Old 10-13-08, 12:34 PM

rbianco3 is on a distinguished road

Raising the dose yourself could be an indication of addiction. I personally find Vyvanse to be very low on the list as far as being a reinforcing type medication that would cause addiction, but everyone is different. I just don't get any urge take more than I am supposed to-- beause there is no euphoria or positive feelings to be gained.

I wonder if you might have been above the therapeautic dosage and therefore were starting to feel euphoric feelings associated with stimulants. Oddly a reduced dose might have been better. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-08-10, 01:20 AM

decala is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: I think I need a Vyvanse break, I'm afraid I'm becoming addicted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikgbixcal View Post
yea i had to move up to 90mg the second day i got em cause one didnt do anything and 90 is i would say is sumwhat good for me. dont worry about addiction keep taking the meds like the docs says and talk to them about it.

(Lisdexamfetamine was developed so that the psychostimulant is released and activated more slowly as the prodrug molecule is hydrolyzed—consequently cleaving off the amino acid-during the first pass through the intestines and/or the liver)

it's a pro-drug therefor it cant be abused.A pro-drug means that the active medicine is bound to a protein, so it doesn't work as an amphetamine when it is first taken. It only starts to work after it is swallowed and goes through the liver (the first step a medicine takes when leaving the stomach). When it goes through the liver, the liver cuts off the protein, and then it becomes an active medicine

So if you take it as perscribed you will not get addicted to it. i hope this changes your mind about vyvanse. Thanks For Reading and i hope you read it. Peace Joe D.

I am not sure why, because it doesn't work as an amphetamine at first, that means you wont get addicted. It IS an amphetamine so whether it happens right away, or two hours from when taken, it is an amphetamine! This drug can be abused. You will get addicted to it if you keep raising the dose. Already doing it by yourself is a red flag. I felt exactly the same way you do. It made me able to do many things during the day, get organized, I was in a better mood. It started to wear off after awhile so I began taking more than one. it started as 1 and 1/2, then two a day. Then I didn't have enough to last until the next prescription. Eventually I was more depressed when I couldn't take that much and I ended up trying to alter the prescription to get more. That is a sign of someone who is addicted so don't let this medication fool you.
I am a normal person who never took any drugs, now I am trying to get more that I have tried to alter a prescription. I never thought that would be me. It is too easy to think that because it is given by your doctor that you will not get addicted. I know this is not good news, but I promise you will end up like me if you do not stop taking it.
The Following User Says Thank You to decala For This Useful Post:
425runner (05-26-12)
Old 06-09-10, 12:42 AM
Contributor

demo3210 is an unknown quantity at this point

Scatter, I can empathize, but don't raise your dose on your own. That should be rule #1 - for your own safety and to avoid any reflections on whether you're an addict. Often when people pass that point of doing something 'wrong', they tend to self-rationalize more easily and become too clouded in their own mind to make a truly rational judgment. In other words, it's a slippery-slope. But you can still change that right now.

Just talk to your doctor about it and they should raise your dosage or switch meds.

Personally, I will never worry about addiction as long as I keep my dosage at the dose prescribed by my doctor. That's just my principle.