ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 09-28-08, 10:18 PM

Jubb is on a distinguished road
Re: How to Lessen/Avoid Adderall Crash (IR)

You can't trick your body out of the crash by micro dosing right before the crash, just as you cant trick your body out of a good nights rest by taking a cat nap

The more you take, the more you crash. Micro dosing right before the crash only delays the crash temporarily but ultimately makes you crash harder.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jubb For This Useful Post:
selby (07-17-09)
Old 09-28-08, 11:52 PM
Contributor

bobC has a spectacular aura aboutbobC has a spectacular aura about

If the small dosage does not push your levels above the previous peak it does not make rebound effects worse. It will delay rebound for later, but well timed dosages can lessen rebound effects.

Kidney PH dramaticly effects how fast amphetamines are removed. A low PH can make rebound effects worse. A high PH will leave ampheatmines in your system for too long. Ajusting kidney PH can be done by changing your diet.

Many rebound side effects can be attributed to an inflamtion type effect. First stimulants cause vaso-constriction. Followed by vaso-dialiation as the stimulant leaves your body. If this process is to rapid it can be quite painful.

BobC
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobC For This Useful Post:
NeaneB (12-28-09), selby (07-17-09)
Old 09-29-08, 01:50 PM

chemvibe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarius8821 View Post
Hi,

I was prescribed the 30 MG IR pills. I do not take them regularly just when I need to study or want a boost haha.......but when I do take them my crash is terrible. I usually break the pill in half and try taking a 15 mg IR dose first but even this hasn't helped. The effects start to kick in after about 30 min-1hr for me and they are great. I am usually kind of hyper but in a productive way (and very social which may limit my level of productivity). Anyway I usually don't even take the full 2nd dose (30 MG IR) until after the crash has begun and sometimes I don't take it at all. I love the effects of the medication and it helps me a lot with concentration while studying, etc. BUT THE CRASH MAKES IT SEEM LIKE IT'S NOT EVEN WORTH IT SOMETIMES. I FEEL TERRIBLE. IRRITABLE, NO APPETITE, NO MOTIVATION TO REALLY DO ANYTHING. I USUALLY GET INTO REALLY BIG ARGUMENTS WITH PPL OR DEBATE THINGS FOR NO APPARENT REASON DURING THE CRASH PERIOD.
The 30 MG IR that I have been prescribed lasts about 3 hours (maybe a little longer sometimes) but the peak seems to be the first 2 hours. This is hardly enough time for me to begin studying a chapter much less finish it.

My question to you guys IS:

****WHAT HAVE YOU GUYS DONE (TIPS/TRICKS) TO LESSEN/AVOID THE ADDERALL CRASH SYMPTOMS? ******

-I read somewhere that Magnesium supplements would help but when I asked the pharmacist she said that their is no proof that they work.

-Also, would taking adderall with energy drinks such as red bull help to lessen the crash because while the adderall may wear off one could continue drinking the energy drink to "soften" the fall. I have never had any bad reactions to energy drinks, even when taken with adderall.

-I have noticed that although adderall ABSOLUTELY KILLS MY APPETITE most of the time the only things I can bear to eat are fruits (usually sour fruits like Kiwis and Strawberries). Is it possible that eating fruits can help to lessen the crash symptoms?

-Third would music help with lessening the crash? I love hip hop music because it alone is usually enough to stimulate me and give me a 'boost'. Theres nothing better than some Weezy/TI/Jeezy/kanye/T.I. lol to get you pumped up. But it definitely does not make me want to study....just flirt with girls. When I listen to that stuff while on Adderall all I want to do is flirt with girls (even ones I'm not particularly interested in loL)

I really need to find a way to handle the crash symptoms because they are terrible for me. I do not want to change to other drugs such as Ritalin because adderall seems to work for me and I read about a lot of the BAD side effects of Ritalin.

**BTW I am 5'9 and weigh about 150 lbs. I am very athletic and work out a lot so I guess my metabolic rate is too fast for any of the lower doses of adderall (ie. 10 mg IR) to be effective.

Your not taking that much stimulant compared to what doses other people require for therepeutic effects. If your doses aren't carrying you through to your next dose and you are crashing you need more stimulant 90% chance . I take 240mg of ritalin a day where most people take 30mg-80mg a day. I took adderal too and I was taking way way way over the 90 mg maximum suggested dose! Some add meds wont work for you but i'm sure that you will find the right one. try a longer acting stimulant such as dexedrine. Your doc may even add a controlled release stimulant in conjunction with your immediate release adderal if I got you correctly. Anyways this is a long response... There are many options. You could even look at a benzodiazepines to cushion your crash's if they are still unresolved. Anyway, hope I've helped.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-08, 03:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

DarkCode is on a distinguished road

Whatever pharmacist you asked about magnesium supplements that gave you the response that there is no proof they work, they need to go back to school. Magnesium is an N-Methyl-D-Asparate (NMDA) receptor antagonist, along with the following chemicals: Memantine, Amantadine, Dextromethorphan, Dextrorphan, Ethanol, Ibogaine, Ketamine, Nitrous oxide, Phencyclidine, Tramadol, Methadone. All of the aforementioned chemicals can regulate the receptor. And in the case of Magnesium, it acts in a voltage-dependant manner. "Magnesium ions regulate calcium ion flow in neuronal calcium channels, helping to regulate neuronal nitric oxide production." (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16542786) Magnesium can stem the flow of glutamate through the calcium ion channel, and decrease tolerance development, similar to other NMDA receptor antagonists.

Tolerance, cravings, etc, can all be attributed in part to the activity at the NMDA receptor. And beyond the activity which Magnesium can aid in the ceasation or reduced rate of, ie: tolerance, it also can assist in the reduction and elimination of such side-effects of amphetamine and other stimulants that cause magnesium deficencies which include: jaw tension, constipation, etc.

So don't tell me that it doesn't do anything, because I have a bottle of the stuff sitting next to me and I can attest, just as the studies will conclude, contrary to your pharmacist, that it works.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DarkCode For This Useful Post:
Moo86 (05-17-11), oddjobace (01-14-09), selby (07-17-09), xraylady33 (01-14-09)
Old 11-18-08, 07:26 AM
ADDvanced Member

ikgbixcal has a little shameless behaviour in the past

mr darkcode is 100% correct
Old 12-05-08, 07:56 PM

aquarius8821 is on a distinguished road

DarkCode -

how much magnesium do you need? i bought the 250 mg supplement from walgreens the other day and I took a pill during the 'crash' phase but it did not really have much of an effect.
Old 12-05-08, 08:11 PM

cwonderig is on a distinguished road

Aquarius, which type of magnesium did you buy? There's many options available and people here have different preferences. My understanding is that mag oxide is the cheapest and has the least bioavailability. I'm taking Chelated Magnesium (400mg tab) before bedtime. The good stuff is available at vitamin shops.
Old 12-05-08, 08:19 PM

aquarius8821 is on a distinguished road

i just bought a random magnesium supplement from walgreens i think the brand is called "nature's ...." or something.
do you take 400 mg in anticipation of a crash or during it?
Old 12-05-08, 08:41 PM

cwonderig is on a distinguished road

You probably got mag oxide (check the back of the bottle). Oxide never helped me much. Get the good stuff next time you're near a vitamin / health store.

I take the Magnesium on a nightly basis as part of the routine.

As for crashes, I rarely experience them anymore. If I get too much stimulation during the day, there will surely be a crash sneaking up later. So I eliminated coffee from my diet and reduced the amount of caffeinated soda I drink (still need some amount to avoid a headache). Mainly drink water now.

So long story short, try t a better type of magnesium and take it daily to see if crashes still happen.
Old 01-14-09, 10:13 AM

EvenSteven is on a distinguished road

For myself, I found that Phosphatidyl Serine and Phosphatidyl Choline help if I take it an hour before my scheduled crash. I take 20mg XR in the morning and usually crash early evening. PS and PC help me but they do not work like a stimulant, in fact, I believe they are the opposite.
The Following User Says Thank You to EvenSteven For This Useful Post:
selby (07-17-09)
Old 01-14-09, 12:01 PM

chanateros77 is on a distinguished road

Hi There,
I've also dealt with crashing issues. I have found that Cacao helps with the crash. the name of the product is CACAO POWER (Raw Chocolate Nibs) which you can find at the Vitamin Shoppe or order it online from Amazon.com
Old 01-14-09, 12:28 PM
Contributor

oddjobace has a spectacular aura aboutoddjobace has a spectacular aura about

i have found 72 percent cocoa chocolate makes me feel real good. without any meds.

Perception is 9/10ths reality

Those who define others define themselves.
Old 01-14-09, 12:41 PM
Forum ADDvocate

xraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud of

NO BOOO'S from the crowd.....OK

Why are you taking this medication randomly?
It takes 14 days for magnesium to build up in your system...
FRUIT! UGH...yes this is good, but its sugar...yes, natural but sugar.
PROTIEN, is the answer!

The crash from IR is horrid....
Have you thought of asking for XR?

I understand the loss of appetite, but understand this...
Your body needs fuel, for every amount of energy exerted. Reading, walking, talking, and eating.
If you are just randomly taking the meds, then picking at your food, you are cutting all energy supply to a dull roar! You must consume protien...to help your body convert energy more efficiently! By only eating the fruit, or carbs, you are asking the body to work twice as hard....which in turn mixes with the stimulant, which equals CRASH! You can't expect the body to compensate for you not eating properly. It pulls from other resources, and during the crash, it pulls from muscles, brain power, and kidneys. Trust me on this one....Work with what you have, and don't believe a pill can counteract, what you have total control of.

If you choose to take meds at a whim, at least feed the body! PROTIEN is the key...

Best of LUCK!

Lady X

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xraylady33 For This Useful Post:
Moo86 (05-17-11), selby (07-17-09)
Old 01-14-09, 01:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

eat a chocolate cake an two hours before your projected rebound and counter that with a gallon of Dr. Pepper. I hear Wilt Chamberlain ate a chocolate cake at halftime at every game and we all know the legend of how much energy that man had off the court. "kidding"

xray,
did the op mention he wasn't eating? now you've got me wondering about my protein intake ... worry of the associative mind. I eat good carbs " bowl of pasta salad and half bowl of diced chicken and black bean stew for lunch with one apple and a snack pre workout and a good dinner usually with one meat + one vegetable and i workout all the time. Now I'm wondering about my caloric intake -
Old 01-14-09, 08:57 PM
Forum ADDvocate

xraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud of

Hollywood,
Seriously, you and should share a seat on the debate-worry team.

Yes, he stated the meds killed his appetite, and he is eating fruit.

I am a true believer in the protien at each meal concept! Now, from our history, you are an athlete, you exercise, and yes, you love the high energy drinks! See, xray forgets nothing..ha..
I think you're probobly 6ft.? and lean, so yes...you need more protien..
Your diet sounds fine..and I assume you are a maintenance guy...?
4-6oz. protien...with each meal is optimal.
I would suggest fruit and cheese before your workout, if you had protien mid day. Always have protien after the workout for continued metabolism increase.

C'mon, You know all this!
I know you workout all the time..be sure your caloric intake is not less than what your burning.
This is what I was doing...OH NOT GOOD! I eat about 1000-1200 daily...and Zumba can burn up to 1300, per workout...so I had to increase dinner calories...VERY HARD FOR ME, but it helped. So I am up to 1400..but I am a girl, so its all about the result...YOU KNOW!
Lady X

Last edited by xraylady33; 01-14-09 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: .
The Following User Says Thank You to xraylady33 For This Useful Post:
Moo86 (05-17-11)