ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 09-30-08, 01:25 PM

legalize is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse side effect (heart rate/shrinkage)

Been taking vyvanse for about a month now, considerable difference in how I am able to manage all my responsibilities in college and its getting better but..

I've noticed a couple side effects.

The first one is my heart rate is considerably higher then it used to be. I'm on 40mg and I moved up from 20mg because the effects faded really soon but I'm not really sure if I should go back down. Normally my heart rate was prob around 65-75 but now my resting pulse is anywhere between 85-105. I don't really notice it much anymore but just wondering if this is cause for concern.

Also, I have noticed major shrinkage. I haven't read this under any of the side effect of the medicine so I'm wondering wtf this is all about. For every guy there, most of the time my junk looks like I just got out of a pool. It isn't that bad but its pretty similiar.
Old 09-30-08, 01:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

jmchamp has a spectacular aura aboutjmchamp has a spectacular aura about
Re: Vyvanse side effect (heart rate/shrinkage)

Definitely tell your doctor about your heart rate, but I don't think this is too bad. Stimulants will definitely increase your heart rate, but I think the 100 range is still pretty safe. But yah, tell your doc though for sure.

As for the shrinkage, I haven't taken Vyvanse, but Strattera did this to me really bad. It was much more shrinking than when you get out of a pool.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmchamp For This Useful Post:
legalize (09-30-08)
Old 09-30-08, 02:27 PM

legalize is on a distinguished road

yah I'm going to see someone in the next couple of days about my heart rate just to see whats up.

about the shrinkage is this just an externatlity that i'm gonna have to deal with?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-08, 07:58 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Tylerlee17 will become famous soon enough

It's a common side effect for nearly all ADHD stimulants (the shrinkage). It's not perminant and if you have an erection it's normal size, don't lose sleep over it.
Old 10-02-08, 06:51 PM
Jr Member

inkedskullz is on a distinguished road

my junk shribbled up and is useless and Ive only been on 60mg vyvanse for 4 day, I think Im already building a tolerance to it. If you hear anything useful for the shrinkage problem let me know.
Old 10-02-08, 11:20 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

WarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the rough

I had the heart thing with Concerta actually, but in my case it was just harder beating and not faster.

Anyway, if after a month the side effects haven't gone away, then I think the meds just aren't for you. That's enough time to build a tolerance, especially since you're not taking a high dosage (30mg is for kids). I've never had an issue with my junk, either, so I can't really say.

Best thing to do would be to talk to the doctor. Faster heart rate = heart gets tired faster. NOT good. Also, do you have a way to check your blood pressure? I had to go to the doc a few days ago and the nurse said mine was a bit high. But... I was in the emergency room (nothing major, turned out to be a mild infection), so I was freaked out, and it was 4am so I hadn't gotten any sleep since the previous day, so I don't know how much of a part that played.

In any case, try to get your blood pressure checked as well if you can. My local Wal-Mart has a free blood pressure tester. Try to find something like that.