ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 10-03-08, 12:29 PM
Banned

ADHDNEWB is on a distinguished road
Concerta - Anxiety - My Experience

I know there have been several threads regarding this issue, but I'm going to post mine to document my results and hopefully help others that have posted here.

I just started on Concerta last Friday. So it's been exactly a week since I've been taking this stuff. I was prescribed 36mg XR tablets. I tend to have some anxiety issues, but nothing to dramatic. I have been diagnosed with bi-polar II disorder as well. So far every time I take this stuff, about 2-3 hours into the meds - if you will - I tend to get really anxious. Sometimes it tends to come towards the end of the day as well. Maybe around 4-6 PM. I typically take my dose in the morning, around 8-9 AM.

The anxiety has been getting so bad, it makes me really uncomfortable and I feel as though I'm having a panick attack. I'm not sure if it's me manifesting all this myself, or if it's the Concerta. The other day, as I was getting ready to leave work, I had a really bad case. I felt really anxious and I started to sweat. My palms got really clammy and my chest felt tight. I felt as if I needed to call the ER, or my fiance. I had a strong feeling of needing someone to comfort me, if that makes any sense.

I decided not to take it yesterday to see how I felt and I felt great - other then your typical add/adhd problems. Mine are pretty bad, I can't focus or do anything productive! The Concerta seems to be helping a little bit, but the anxiety levels that I get don't seem to justify me taking this stuff. I tried calling my doctor the last couple of days to discuss this with him and he never returns my phone calls - seems like that's a typical problem for other people as well.
Old 10-03-08, 01:09 PM
Banned

Re: Concerta - Anxiety - My Experience

I also wanted to add that my typing skills have gotten bad while on Concerta. I noticed that I misspell words that I normally wouldn't misspell.
Old 10-03-08, 02:51 PM
ADDvanced Member

calvary1980 will become famous soon enough

stimulants can make or break your anxiety. Concerta isn't for you unless you want to start taking a Benzodiazepine or a SSRI with your Mood Stabilizer for the Anxiety it's probably a better idea to try another stimulant like Dexedrine. I also had problems typing on a computer with Concerta I would make Spelling Mistakes or use Strange Words i'm pretty sure it's due to the speed effect. when you had your panic attack what triggered it? this is good because the trigger can give you insight into a underlying problem.

- Christine
The Following User Says Thank You to calvary1980 For This Useful Post:
ADHDNEWB (10-06-08)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-08, 03:52 PM
Banned

Thanks for the reply calvary! Let me go ahead and give you an update. Just as I suspected, about 3 to 4 hours after taking one 36mg pill, I felt the uneasy/panicky feeling. It was horrible, I never want to go through that again. I took a little piece of xanax (1/4) and the problem went away after about 15 minutes. I had some left over in the medicine cabinet from a couple of years ago, that my previous doctor had prescribed.

Quote:
I also had problems typing on a computer with Concerta I would make Spelling Mistakes or use Strange Words i'm pretty sure it's due to the speed effect.
That's what I was thinking, but I've actually taken Adderall before - self medicated - and never had those issues. I went back and looked at my first post and the simplest words were misspelled and some sentences didn't make much sense. My mind also felt a little confused/cloudy during the panic attack. Is this a symptom of a panic attack as well, or maybe another bad side effect of the Concerta?

Quote:
when you had your panic attack what triggered it? this is good because the trigger can give you insight into a underlying problem.
Not entirely sure. It seems as if it just comes on to be honest. It seems to come on no matter what happens. It also seems to occur when my fiance is talking with me about something I need to do. Maybe because I'm feeling a bit irritable at that time is the reason for it?

I go in to see my doctor in a couple of weeks and I think I'm going to talk to him about some form of Adderral or perhaps that stimulant you suggested. I will need to look more into that stuff. I also don't like this XR stuff. I would like to be able to control my dosage as needed. If I happen to wake up late in the day, I don't really like to take the Concerta because it makes me too zonked out late into the night. Also, I think I read that people with bi-polar disorder probably shouldn't take Concerta, is this true?
Old 10-04-08, 12:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

calvary1980 will become famous soon enough

my trigger is a thought or image burned into my mind that I can't get out, once the panic attack starts I feel the physical symptoms, altered then impending doom. if they happen close proximity with your fiance maybe you have a commitment issue? if your doctor is a psychiatrist maybe you should talk to him or her about it. i'm pretty sure alot of people on this forum are on mood stabilizers and stimulants. Dexedrine is a little different than Adderall and Concerta it doesn't have the caffeine high it's more calm and smooth.

- Christine
Old 10-06-08, 02:34 AM

pmac is on a distinguished road

Very interesting ttthread. I have a hard time describing my problems, so i just take what my doctor prescribes. But allot of what is in here hits home. I will be printing this and highlighting relevent points.

Thanks (even yhough it isn't my thread, thanks).

Paul

P.S. I take concerta of either 3x36mg or 2x54mg (108mg)/day at about 7am daily along with other stuff. I feel like i have anxiety problems, this is what prompted me to read.
Old 10-06-08, 10:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
if they happen close proximity with your fiance maybe you have a commitment issue?
Possibly, but I think it might be other things as well. Like I said in my first post, It started to come on as I was leaving work - about 30 minutes before hand. It also happens while I'm at work, so it could be stress from work. Who knows, but either way I'm tired of going through this. I haven't taken my medication today and feel great other then the typical ADD/ADHD symptoms.

Quote:
P.S. I take concerta of either 3x36mg or 2x54mg (108mg)/day at about 7am daily along with other stuff.
I don't know what other members might think, and everyone is different, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. But to me, taking three 36mg tablets of Concerta seems to be a bit extreme. I'm pretty sure you are taking the extended release form - not sure if they make it any other way - someone correct me if I'm wrong. I actually took two 36mg XR tablets one day and FELT HORRIBLE! The effects of the first one only seem to last four to five hours, if that long. So that day I decided to take another one. VERY BAD IDEA. The panicky feeling was ten times as bad as taking just one.
Old 10-06-08, 06:10 PM

"Grain of salt"
Yes, don't worry, I understand. That is why I am here...Opinions based on experience.

I am taking this as prescribed. Not self medicating or taking more than recommended.
I had a problem with binging on sweets like ice cream late at night. Some things seemed better? But when I told him my binging is still there. Doctor said that people on Concerta for a year, don't have this problem anymore. So he upped my dose from 36mg to 72 then to 108mg/day gradually.

I am a big guy (obvious by binge comment) @ 290 currently but was as high as 320 in May. So he probably doesn't think there would be any problems...

I decided to check for updates today, because I have had a very bad afternoon today. So I felt like reading to not feel so alone.(hard to explain)

I am starting to wonder about some stuff because its about this time quite frequently I don't feel so good, but the time might vary, I don't really watch the clock.(Probably should)

I was told to take in the morning because it is a stimulant and might keep me up at night, which I already have problems with. I am starting to think I should take a 54mg at the 7AM and a 36 later in the day like maybe 2PM? See if my mood stabaliizes or if this feeling I am having doesn't come on so strong. Maybe slowly wein down to see if my symptoms relax a bit. At first I thought it might be Singulair. So i stopped taking it over a week ago. But today was as bad as any. So I suspect not. That is probably a good thing because my breathing is not as good as it was.

Right at this moment in time I am glad this forum is here. Typing thinking and knowing others have similar issues, is helping me cope.

If anyone has anything to say, I am all ears. I see my doctor regularly so he is aware. I start seeing a therapist in November, it was the earliest I could get in.

Regards,
pmac

P.S. I am having a hard time pressing the submit. Don't want people to think I am odd or bad of me. This feeling sucks. Sorry for highjacking the thread
Old 10-06-08, 06:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
P.S. I am having a hard time pressing the submit. Don't want people to think I am odd or bad of me. This feeling sucks. Sorry for highjacking the thread
No problems man, that's what the forums are here for. Everyone has some type of issues - most of us with ADD/ADHD.

Quote:
I am taking this as prescribed. Not self medicating or taking more than recommended
Right on. I was just under the impression that Concerta was suppose to be a "once daily pill", due to the fact that it's in XR form and lasts so long. I can't stand to take that stuff, let alone take more then 36mg - but hey, we are all different.

Quote:
I decided to check for updates today, because I have had a very bad afternoon today. So I felt like reading to not feel so alone.(hard to explain)

I am starting to wonder about some stuff because its about this time quite frequently I don't feel so good, but the time might vary, I don't really watch the clock.(Probably should)
Think this might be related to the high dose of Concerta you are taking? I'm going to be honest and admit that I've taken more then the recommended dosage before. I've actually taken 3 x 36mg pills before and the next day I felt horrible - depressed/moody/whacked out. Reason being is that I didn't really feel the effects but for maybe an hour or less - the focused, non racing thoughts. So I figured I'd take more.

Quote:
was told to take in the morning because it is a stimulant and might keep me up at night, which I already have problems with. I am starting to think I should take a 54mg at the 7AM and a 36 later in the day like maybe 2PM?
True, it is a stimulant and you are suppose to take it early in the day because it "supposedly" lasts up to 12 hours. You don't want to take this stuff mid day, then try and get to sleep several hours later - probably not going to happen. Are you taking any kind of sleep meds? I use to take Seroquel, but am now taking Ambien - I love that stuff!

Anyways, I haven't taken my Concerta today and I haven't had that horrible/uncomfortable feeling - it's been great. Can't focus or get anything done though.
Old 10-07-08, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDNEWB View Post

True, it is a stimulant and you are suppose to take it early in the day because it "supposedly" lasts up to 12 hours. You don't want to take this stuff mid day, then try and get to sleep several hours later - probably not going to happen. Are you taking any kind of sleep meds? I use to take Seroquel, but am now taking Ambien - I love that stuff!
Kept the quote short.
It is the next morning.

I have been told I have ADHD/Bi-Polar issues. I do take 450 Wellbuterin as well. To be honest I dont know what is for what. I am confused a little but not a problem right now.

Thank you for the reply and Understanding.

I only took one 36 tab today. I just have to try to do something about how I was feeling yesterday afternoon. Hopefully it will be better.

As far as mood stabalizers, or sleep aids. I was prescribed Seroquel 25mg. Even the pharmacist emphasized it was a "very" low dose. So yesterday I took 2. By 8-9PM I was feeling much better, a total 180 in how I was feeling.

I have an appointment today. I made an appt. last night because I have to see the doc about this. I was having "horrible" thoughts yesterday.
Old 10-07-08, 11:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
As far as mood stabalizers, or sleep aids. I was prescribed Seroquel 25mg. Even the pharmacist emphasized it was a "very" low dose. So yesterday I took 2. By 8-9PM I was feeling much better, a total 180 in how I was feeling.
Seroquel, yes I know all about it. 25mg is the lowest dosage they make. It is also suppose to help people that have depression and bi-polar disorder. It's suppose to increase the serotonin levels if I'm not mistaking as well. I use to take that stuff and there are a few things I don't like about it. If you take it, you better be exactly where you plan to sleep because that stuff KNOCKS you out! The next day I always felt like a zombie as well. I felt like I had been heavily drugged. I would also tend to eat a lot as the drug was kicking in - made me real HUNGRY! I no longer take that stuff anymore. I am now taking Lamictal for my bi-polar disorder, Concerta for the ADHD (currently not taking it), and Ambien to get rest at night.

If you are have bad thoughts, I would definitely call your doctor and stop taking that stuff. I'm no doctor, but I don't think one should be having "horrible" thoughts after taking some meds.

Quote:
I do take 450 Wellbuterin as well. To be honest I dont know what is for what.
Wellbutrin is another anti-depressant. It's also suppose to help people with ADHD. If I were you, I would start asking your doctor what all these meds are for and why he/she is giving them to you. If you don't ask, at least google the meds and research a little bit. Here's a link to some of the meds you are taking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bupropion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seroquel
Old 10-07-08, 07:22 PM

Hello ADHANEWB.

Well, I only took the one 36mg this morning and my day was not too bad.
I went to the doctor, decribed my "thoughts", he said stop as of right now cold turkey don't take it anymore. OK great thank god.

He switched up my meds a bit and gave me a low dose of Cipralex an SSRI. Lowered my Wellbuterin to 300mg and increased the Seroquil. Plus gave me another low dose of Zolonquin or something(spelling is completely off but it starts with a Z ) its a sleep aid. Very weak though I have tried it before (from him) and it didn't seem to do much if anything. Probably to complement the sleep aid of Seroquil for now because he didn't want to increase the dosage of the Ser. too fast. He is good like that, he always works me up to a dose for everything.

I didn't mean to sound so dumb in my post this morning about I didnt know why I was taking stuff . But it was early and I was dopey. No coffee yet at that stage. I did notice one thing, the Concerta didnt have XR or extended markings just 36 and a word, is that normal. I recall someone saying they were taking the XR version of it but didnt know if there was both types quick acting and extended release. Not a big deal I guess, I am off them now.

Thank you for your encouragement. For a newB your advice is very ...for lack of a dumber word...comforting at least it was this morning. You would laugh your a*s off to see me and then using that word! But I don't feel like killing anyone today, so I am OK with that

Thank you.

As i stated earlier, I will continue to read here, and learn as I go.
Old 10-08-08, 11:17 AM
Banned

Glad to see you are doing better my friend. Don't worry, everything will get better as you get these meds adjusted.

Quote:
Plus gave me another low dose of Zolonquin or something(spelling is completely off but it starts with a Z ) its a sleep aid.
I only know of a few possible ones he might have given you. It's either Ambien (Zolpidem) or Sonata (Zaleplon)? But the way you spelled it sounds kind of like Klonopin. Either way, I hope it's working for you. I can't imagine taking another sleep aid on top of Seroquel - that stuff knocked me OUT! But hey, everyones different and I guess 25 mg isn't that big of a dose.

Quote:
I didn't mean to sound so dumb in my post this morning about I didnt know why I was taking stuff . But it was early and I was dopey. No coffee yet at that stage.
No problem my friend, just making sure you knew what was up with your meds. Sorry if I offended you at all.

Quote:
I did notice one thing, the Concerta didnt have XR or extended markings just 36 and a word, is that normal. I recall someone saying they were taking the XR version of it but didnt know if there was both types quick acting and extended release. Not a big deal I guess, I am off them now.
Yea, that's them. Take a look at my avatar. They say "alza 36" on them. Alza (also makes Nicoderm CQ, Sudafed, and various other meds) is the company that makes them and the 36 is the mg of the pill. As far as I know, Concerta only comes in XR form.

I go in to see my doctor this Friday. I will let you know how that goes and what he prescribes me this time. I'm going to ask him about Adderall or Dexedrine - they make generics and that's what I can afford.

Old 10-13-08, 12:53 PM
Banned

I am now on Adderall and everything is great. No nasty side effects like the Concerta was giving me. He started me out on a very low dosage. I knew it was the lowest dosage I could get when he RX'd it to me, but had no idea how HARD it would be to get it at the pharmacy! I had to call around 8 different pharmacies in my area to find 5MG IR tabs. I'm also loving the price of this stuff - 10 bucks!
Old 10-13-08, 11:28 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

chowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of light

I'm having great success with 54MG concerta at 8AM and 18mg concerta at noon.

Contact a doctor if you think you need help. Don't waste 30 years as I did.

DX at 51: GAD,OCD,ADHD mixed RX: Concerta. Ritalin / Propranolol as needed.