ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 10-04-08, 08:01 AM

mithrilstar is on a distinguished road
Adderall and Advil OK?

Hey, does anyone happen to know if it is alright to take Advil with my Adderall? I have a headache this morning, and would like to do so. But I usually have to take FOUR Advils for it to work at all on me. Otherwise, it doesn't even make a dent in the headache.
Old 10-04-08, 08:13 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 14,667 Times in 5,799 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall and Advil OK?

I am not a doctor or a pharmacist - all I can offer is information based upon my own experience

I am on Adderall IR 20mg and I have taken three ibuprofen 600mg {generic Advil} without problems - I use these two medications together on a regular basis during allergy season and I have not experienced any ill effects.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 10-04-08, 08:49 AM

Thanks! Actually, my headache went away, so I don't need to take the advil today, but it is good to know for the future.Jen
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-08, 11:54 AM
Forum ADDvocate

xraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud of

You can take up to 800mg. every four hours until relief is met. You can also go back and forth with Acetaminaphen, 600mg.

Do not take more than recommended dosage, as these meds filter through liver, and can be harsh on stomach.

Only you know you best, but there is no CONTRA-INDICATION!!!!!!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to xraylady33 For This Useful Post:
mithrilstar (10-04-08)
Old 10-06-08, 05:51 AM

marcykid will become famous soon enough

They're fine together. I use both simultaneously... almost every day. Only positive results. Ibuprofen is a wonder drug.
Old 10-06-08, 04:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

sharon1175 will become famous soon enough

I too use both. I have more headaches now since taking Adderall. Only Advil/Ibuprofen will help. Acetaminaphen does nothing for me and never did.
Old 10-06-08, 04:42 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CrystalShiloh has a spectacular aura aboutCrystalShiloh has a spectacular aura about

To alleviate a headache, you could rub a little Vic's Vapor Rub onto your temples. Alternatively, you could also take your index finger and thumb on one hand and squeeze the pressure point deep in the web between your thumb and index finger on your other hand as hard as you can. This will release endorphins and should relieve some of the pain.
lady3jane (11-19-09), mithrilstar (10-06-08)
Old 10-06-08, 04:46 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Captain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the rough

If you get headaches, especially on adderal, the first place to look is to make sure you are getting enough fluids.
Old 10-06-08, 04:58 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CrystalShiloh has a spectacular aura aboutCrystalShiloh has a spectacular aura about

Be sure to eat, too. My appetite hasn't been the same since I started Adderall. I am always really hungry and at first, when I didn't eat, I'd get a headache that would go away shortly after I ate.
Old 10-06-08, 05:48 PM

Thanks Crystal, Sharon, Marcy, and Cap! Yeah, acetominophen is completely useless to me, too. I didn't even really ever get great results with advil until about 2 years ago when I had root canal, and my dentist told me to take 4 advil every 6 hours for the pain for the days following the procedure. I was like, WHAT? 4 advil?! I thought it was a really high and dangerous sounding dose, but I tried it, and low and behold, it actually made some of the pain go away! Then another doc prescribed 4 every 6 hours for a sore and inflamed thumb tendon, and said that was actually just what the prescription strength advil was, so it couldn't be that harmful. Then I tried it for my headaches (I grind my teeth at night, and clench my jaw, which gives me headaches when I wake up, not to mention 3 cracked teeth so far, but now I have a nightguard, which protects my teeth, but still doesn't prevent me from grinding my jaw). And it worked! Finally, something actually made my headaches go away, instead of just dampen them a little.

Okay, sorry for the rambling! On to what I actually was going to say when I started this reply.

I have actually found a solution to my headaches that is awesome and amazing, and that I think every person should know. You won't believe me when I tell you, because you'll think that it sounds too simple, but it works. It is: deep breathing. Just try to count to 5 slowly while breathing in, then to 5 while breathing out. If you can do it steadily for at least 5 to 10 minutes, it almost always (so far, for me, always!) cures the headache! The hard part is not getting distracted by things, even like by your thoughts, and forget to keep deep breathing. That's why the counting to 5 helps. Okay, gotta go! See ya!
The Following User Says Thank You to mithrilstar For This Useful Post:
Ray_of_sunshine (05-27-10)