ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 10-08-08, 09:00 AM

Terrah is on a distinguished road
Question Will drinking Too Much Water flush out my medication?

Im new to this and my treatment is fascinating to me at present. I was wondering if drinking too much water and consequently going to the bathroom alot will cause the meds to cycle out of my system faster. Im currently on 10mg Ritalin (novartis) and the ritalin doesnt seem to last for the 4hrs im lead to believe it usually lasts for.
Maybe im too new to this that im not understanding some of the other factors but i was wondering if over hydrating will 'water down' the treatment because i dont want to be doing that obviously.
Old 10-10-08, 01:14 PM
Contributor

junetown is just really nicejunetown is just really nicejunetown is just really nicejunetown is just really nice
Re: Will drinking Too Much Water flush out my medication?

ritalin, i hear, has a pretty short lifespan in the body. 4 hours actually sounds pretty good, some people say it only lasts 3.

drinking TOO much water, maybe if you're drinking massive amounts, i suppose could wash some of it out. however, it's very important to drink water regularly while on stimulants, because you will be prone to dehydration.

just don't take it with orange juice, or anything else with high amounts of citric acid. this can totally negate the effects.
Old 10-10-08, 06:34 PM
Contributor

amu_d is on a distinguished road

Always drink plenty of water
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-08, 08:51 PM

Thanked 8,886 Times in 2,751 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

The short answer is No

Drinking water is good

It takes a LOT of water for it ever to be "bad" for you.

good luck

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
Old 10-11-08, 01:06 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

chowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of light

ritalin ir only lasts about 2 1/2 hours for me regardless of how much water I drink.

Contact a doctor if you think you need help. Don't waste 30 years as I did.

DX at 51: GAD,OCD,ADHD mixed RX: Concerta. Ritalin / Propranolol as needed.
Old 10-11-08, 02:46 AM
Contributor

mystery has a spectacular aura aboutmystery has a spectacular aura about

Interesting question. I don't know the answer, and the following is just purely speculation. Lets say you have a bucket of water that is 1 gallon, and dilute anything in it. The concentration would be x/gallon. Theoretically, adding water would lower the concentration right? And doesn't water pass into one's blood stream quickly once it reaches body temperature?
Old 10-11-08, 10:05 AM

Terrah is on a distinguished road

sooo no citric acid... damn. I drink a glass of orange juice with my breakfast in the morning with my ritalin (as directed) - thats a shame.

Way i thought of it was (with water) if some of the methylphenidate circulates in the blood continuously for up to 4hrs then drinking water and consequently going to the toilet might encourage the kidneys to remove the ritalin faster