ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-08, 08:14 AM
Jr Member

teky is on a distinguished road
Long Term Effects on Adderall / Sleep Deprivation?

i am very curious on this issue because of my situation. please read

this isnt o oOOO look how hardcore i am type of deal , i just want to share and get feed back on what ya think of my habbit. by the way the guy that stayed up for 100+ hrs. fukn insane bro gotta hand it to ya dunno how u did that , most i go is 3 days and its really rough .

ok so anyways this is about adderall and sleep deprevation. i believe sleep deprivation ****s you up alot. i however enjoy trying to stay up as much as i can till i can actually have my body and brain agree on sleeping.. ive been taking adderall since hrM march of 08 , it all started lannin with my friend he had 10 mg all split in bits and pieces.

so he was like yo here blah blah anyways i took like 5 mg and i was like wow dude wtf is this , its amazing. he said adderall , now i used to take adderall and ritalin when i was a lil kid 10-14 , im now 25. anyways long story short , i ended up going to the doctor/shrink office and said im havin problems focusing do u have anythin that can help? He said take this test for adult ADHD so i did , circled pretty much every right answer , pretty much alot of focusing questions this and that pretty simple.

so bottom line of story , for 4 months almost now , i really started gettin addicted to it and i have a script for 30 mg twice daily , of XR's i need about like 4 @ Least of the XR's daily and if its generic 8. cause they last about half as long. so i usually have to also have to look to buy illegaly. which sometimes aint easy , i need to be on it to function and i sleep about a pattern of 2 1 2 , meaning stay up 2 days sleep 1. wash rinse repeat for the last 4 months. and i have taken up to 300 MG. i pretty much have gotten all the side effects. blue balls are the worst.

any idea on how to get off it? doH.
Old 10-08-08, 10:45 AM
Jr Member

Re: Long Term Effects on Adderall / Sleep Deprivation?

anyone? :[
Old 10-08-08, 12:10 PM
Contributor

bobC has a spectacular aura aboutbobC has a spectacular aura about

Sleep is very improtant if your sleeping 1 night every 3 days its a danger to yourself + innocent people around you.

Tapering off may be safer then going cold turkey. Check out rehab/12 step/addiction on webmd?

If your going to do it yourself set a firm limit to pass/fail. Prehaps even one or two weeks.

If unsuccessful ask your family for help. Your employer/school may offer some type of assistance as well.

If the side effects of withdrawl are bad it may be safer to discontinue with the help of a doctor.

BobC
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-08, 01:13 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Captain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the rough

Psychosis followed by death. Good luck with that.
Old 10-09-08, 03:32 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sanity View Post
Psychosis followed by death. Good luck with that.
Death from sleep deprivation, AFAIK, is pretty rare.

Hardcore sleep deprivation does take a massive toll on the body, and combined with amphetamines *will* cause psychosis eventually, but I think of equal or greater concern is proper nutrition...
Old 10-09-08, 05:31 AM
ADDvanced Member

ZappedMind has a spectacular aura aboutZappedMind has a spectacular aura about

On Adderall, I sleep around 5-6 hours each night. I could sleep longer, but have a busy schedule. In a rare moment, I slept 11 hours the other day... felt like a disaster all day long, not doing that again.
Get Rid of the Fog: Stop Taking Vyvanse.
Old 10-09-08, 12:39 PM
Jr Member

i already went to caron foundation for liquior , i know all about NA/AA and that jazz. but adderall has been my crutch and i havent drank since with it. what do you mean pyscosis then death? i kno about going pyscho but how does the death follow?

i read somewhere that u cant quit cold turkey if high dosage has been goin on so i t hink @ least or u get psycho along the lines , i get pretty ragey when i dont have it , and i can literally shut down and not function @ tiems without it . so i was just curious on any suggestions , and u made me laugh the guy who said good luck with that . thanks ~ -.-
Old 10-09-08, 12:44 PM
Contributor

demo3210 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sleep deprivation can kill you or make you insane. I think that is what the above poster meant.

How to get off?

Take half of what you are currently taking for 1-2 weeks and then take half of that, and then half of that, etc.

You really should talk to your doctor/shrink about this though. I am not a doctor, but on anti-depressants that is typically what they do.

If you can't sleep. Take Valarian Root (extract if you can) and that should help knock you out.

You're really wearing out your brain from all that amphetamine abuse. You're turning into a meth head and that's a scary condition. Haven't you seen the pictures?
Old 10-09-08, 01:03 PM
Jr Member

well my problem is i enjoy staying up as long as i can , its like being cracked out i always found that enjoyable. i kno where the road leads , however do u kno how much of a long term effect a long term effect is ? i started in april of 08 . id say i take if i can get it which its really hard illegally imo , about i need @ least 120 mg daily but i go to take up 8 generics daily and if i have xr's about 4 and sometimes mix em. well thanks much

but thanks for all the info you gave me much appreciated sir
Old 10-09-08, 03:12 PM
Contributor

amu_d is on a distinguished road

You don't have ADHD. Lying and abusing drugs by non-ADHDers is exactly why people with ADHD are miserable. Doctors are less willing to help and less willing to prescribe substances that would be beneficial for ADHD (Desoxyn, Dexedrine, etc...).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to amu_d For This Useful Post:
C8H10N4O2 (03-23-11), meadd823 (10-12-08), Menna (04-03-11), ndnbutterfly (12-02-08)
Old 10-09-08, 05:14 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

WarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by teky View Post
well my problem is i enjoy staying up as long as i can , its like being cracked out i always found that enjoyable. i kno where the road leads , however do u kno how much of a long term effect a long term effect is ? i started in april of 08 . id say i take if i can get it which its really hard illegally imo , about i need @ least 120 mg daily but i go to take up 8 generics daily and if i have xr's about 4 and sometimes mix em. well thanks much

but thanks for all the info you gave me much appreciated sir
Staying up too late will ruin your body. Your body does a lot of its recovery when you are asleep. Staying up too late consistently will give you a liver that isn't 100% not to mention a brain that isn't 100%, but you can already see that.
Old 10-10-08, 04:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by amu_d View Post
You don't have ADHD. Lying and abusing drugs by non-ADHDers is exactly why people with ADHD are miserable. Doctors are less willing to help and less willing to prescribe substances that would be beneficial for ADHD (Desoxyn, Dexedrine, etc...).
How do you know he doesn't have ADHD?

Some people with ADHD get stimulating effects from amphetamines. Approximately 20% of people with ADHD don't receive the "proper effect." Myself included. So I wouldn't generalize on that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Batman55 For This Useful Post:
bumblebe (01-07-09), ozchris (10-14-08)
Old 10-10-08, 05:17 AM
Jr Member

your obviously one to jump the gun . ACTUALLY I DO HAVE IT. im just a drug addict ya douche. ive been prescribed ADHD since i was 9. GG~
The Following User Says Thank You to teky For This Useful Post:
bumblebe (01-07-09)
Old 10-10-08, 11:32 AM
Contributor

junetown is just really nicejunetown is just really nicejunetown is just really nicejunetown is just really nice

relax duders.

okay. so, be proud of yourself for wanting to take these steps. i imagine it isn't easy to admit, especially to a crowd of people who may regularly take stimulants. we are for more defensive about this stuff, because when people give it a bad rep we feel our chances of lessening the stigmas start to diminish.

tapering off is the best idea, because as i'm sure you know with alcohol, quitting cold turkey results in an inability to function. try and remember that you're not functioning because you are addicted, and NOT because you can't function normally. in time, you will get better. like i said, be proud of yourself for these steps that you are taking. use the pride to motivate yourself. if you can quit the booze, you can quit this.

some tips: find a hobby or things to do, projects and what not, to distract your mind while you are tapering off. i would also suggest a healthy diet (at least for awhile) so that you will feel better physically. and perhaps some exercise once you start getting more sleep, because for some it gives a similar rush.

once you quit, there are non-stimulant options and natural remedies that can help ADHD. keep your hopes up. this is only another stepping stone of learning in your life. you will look back and be proud of yourself for quitting, and see how much it has helped you grow as a person.

good luck. and be nice, no name calling :P
The Following User Says Thank You to junetown For This Useful Post:
ozchris (10-14-08)
Old 10-10-08, 02:40 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Captain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the rough

If you're taking 300mg a day, then your brain is going to be swiss cheese in short order. I'm sure it's hard to actually die from sleep deprivation, but at that dose dying from heat stoke or heart attack would not surprise me. Actually lots of things could happen, but my first post was simplifying. Psychosis can be caused by amphetamine abuse without any sleep deprivation, too, and having scurvy from using it at high levels can also kill you in a dozen ways.

Putting yourself through this just for 'lanning', well, I can only think that some people are beyond help and you would find some way to darwin yourself regardless.
Closed Thread