ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-08, 10:46 AM
Contributor

ecu20 is just really niceecu20 is just really niceecu20 is just really niceecu20 is just really nice
Re: Long Term Effects on Adderall / Sleep Deprivation?

In short, you should really consider asking your doctor about taking benzodiazapines for the short term for sleep, and should tell him that you are having problems sleeping. Or even seriously consider an anti-psychotic to block specific dopamine and some to an effect serotonin. Risperidone and even more so quetiapine come to mind.

In reference to what was said above, long term effects on adderall can include:
  • sleep deprivation (which is mildly to moderately delusional on both auditory and visually delusional, this is how some people in the ancient times reported psychological hallucinations).
  • erectile dysfunction (some theorize because of the rise in dopamine, I agree to that)
  • anxiety/nervousness (increase of norepinephrine)
  • psychosis (increase of dopamine and serotonin, which causes visual and auditory hallucinations - hearing and seeing things that are not there/do not exist, and anxiety. An increase in dopamine activity in the brains mesolimbic pathway has been positively correlated with schizophrenia)
Those are the main ones that I would think would have the most common occurrence.

Have you ever seen requiem for a dream? Imagine becoming Sara Goldfarb's character and thinking a fridge would eat you. Sounds like it could never happen? Well, I certainly hope it would not happen, but with the pattern that I have read, there is a real possibility of you being in that state of mind.

Please, get some help and let us know how you are doing with some updates. Remember, ask your doctor (or even emergency care places) about taking a long acting benzodiazapine, or the antipsychotic quetiapine.
The Following User Says Thank You to ecu20 For This Useful Post:
ozchris (10-14-08)
Old 10-12-08, 03:12 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sanity View Post
Putting yourself through this just for 'lanning', well, I can only think that some people are beyond help and you would find some way to darwin yourself regardless.
I'm not trying to defend a drug addict, but I've done a lot of "Darwinian" stuff myself. I did some really stupid things when I was a stimulant addict. The habit threatened to take my health away, and I kept going. The thing is, it makes you slowly "bonkers" and then you lose all your inhibitions. At that point, taking a recreational dose for a couple weeks straight, getting incredibly sleep deprived, and then crashing, looks a lot more attractive than it would if you were sober. This phenomenon of "daredevil behavior" seems to be fairly unique to stimulant abuse/addiction.

Yes I did get incredible consequences and health problems from my habit, but as I said, it makes you lose your marbles, and you can't reasonably stop in such a psychotic state. I still have some of the health problems that my habit of 4 years ago caused. So I hope he can learn from my mistake and stop, before he gets the longterm effects.

My suggestion is rather than getting criticized in a forum full of people who don't tolerate amphetamine abuse, he should go another forum that deals with addiction.
Old 10-12-08, 03:50 AM
ADDvanced Member

browneyes_326 will become famous soon enough

ecu20 good post.

And I'll I was thinking while reading these posts was "requiem for a dream"
....rent it, buy it or borrow it but watch it!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-08, 04:07 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,483 Times in 752 Posts
SuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant future

I understand EXACTLY how you feel.
....the trouble is.

If you are ADHD, and an addict like me.
.....abstaining is not recovering.

eventually, you'lll self medicate, and that would be WORSE on you than
if you really need adderrall.

my advice to you is to get serious.
.......I have someone hold my meds because I'll act a fool too.
I have settled into the fact of what is handed to me one time a day.

...If you are'nt ADHD.

Just quit, you'll be ok in a couple weeks.

finally,

......The sleep deprivation is what really screws your mind/body up.

it does more damage than the drug itself.

I'm getting the feeling
.....you just don't know how you are supposed to feel on these meds.

I had the same trouble.
.....basically, if your personality changes, if you ENJOY cleaning, if you can't sleep
you did too much.

it's for focus.
...to lift the fog.

not to walk the earth in limbo as the undead.
...I know it's fun.
but, you'll be sorry.

trust me. *smiles*

..I also administrate a methamphetamine recovery board, if it applies, you are welcome.

Syd Barrett
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuzzanneX For This Useful Post:
browneyes_326 (10-13-08), meadd823 (10-12-08), ndnbutterfly (12-02-08), Roxx1980 (06-11-17)
Old 10-12-08, 05:00 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,381 Times in 6,105 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
n short, you should really consider asking your doctor about taking benzodiazapines for the short term for sleep,
Ohh like the addiction to a stimulant isn't enough of an addiction????

Sorry but I would not recommend giving benzodiazepams to any one who is an addict outside of a controlled {read hospital} setting . . .. . handing him a bottle of xanax would be insanity {IMHO}

Ativan valuim xanax = Crap just give him a gun with a few bullets it would be quicker ????

To the member who wrote the initial post - Yes people who abuse their medication for any reason make it harder on the rest of us who do not therefore sympathy may not be forth coming. Besides addicts do not need sympathy they need to be told straight up they will listen if ready if not they won't.

If you can not taper your self down then you will probably have to admit your self to some form of controlled environment such as a hospital - You will be winding up in one shortly any way so you might as well do it willing now while you have the choice and enough brain cells to be worth saving. The longer you do this to your self the more damage it does to your brain

Poor sleep patterns even do physical damage to those who are bipolar and have days without sleep thing occur "naturally" {without drugs}

I know I sound cold but I am one of the people your behavior hurts so excuse me if I do not offer this advice with sugar coating .

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

Last edited by meadd823; 10-12-08 at 05:10 AM.. Reason: wording
The Following User Says Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
browneyes_326 (10-13-08)
Old 10-12-08, 11:00 PM
Contributor

ecu20 is just really niceecu20 is just really niceecu20 is just really niceecu20 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
Ohh like the addiction to a stimulant isn't enough of an addiction????

Sorry but I would not recommend giving benzodiazepams to any one who is an addict outside of a controlled {read hospital} setting . . .. . handing him a bottle of xanax would be insanity {IMHO}

Ativan valuim xanax = Crap just give him a gun with a few bullets it would be quicker ????
First off, what I recommended was a SHORT TERM use (read 1-2 MAYBE 3) days of a benzo. Preferably talk to the doc for a long acting benzo, not one of the shorter acting ones such as alprazolam, or diazepam.

I said short term just for that reason. Benzodiazapine addiction is a very real problem with anyone, not just people that are addicted to other substances.

Comparing zanax to comitting suicide, come on now . You and I both know that 2-3 pills of a benzo for a couple days worth of sleep will not make him become addicted. That's like saying we shouldn't give an amphetamaine addict who had surgery a post op. opioid based pain killer because they "might" abuse it. He needs something that will help him sleep and calm down. Benzos have a valid and wide theraputic range, and has been proven that when used sparingly as needed, it has a low incidence of addiction. You bring the addiction and withdrawls in when you take it upwards to a week or more at a time.

I do agree with you that hospitilization for observation to "normalize" would be a good option for treating this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ecu20 For This Useful Post:
ozchris (10-14-08)
Old 10-12-08, 11:59 PM

Mr.T is on a distinguished road

ok so obviously sleeping 1 out 3 days is bad for you.

however i pull an all nighter at least once a week using adderals. that should be fine guys right?
(btw I am not prescribed and i do not take it regularly and I am not addicted)
Old 10-13-08, 12:02 AM

Mr.T is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by teky View Post
i i pretty much have gotten all the side effects. blue balls are the worst.

any idea on how to get off it? doH.

lol, you too? lol, i thought that was just me!
Old 10-13-08, 03:32 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,381 Times in 6,105 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
hat's like saying we shouldn't give an amphetamaine addict who had surgery a post op. opioid based pain killer because they "might" abuse it. He needs something that will help him sleep and calm down.
First of all an addict would get pain medication in a hospital recovery room

Quote:
Sorry but I would not recommend giving benzodiazepams to any one who is an addict outside of a controlled {read hospital} setting
They now have non-narcotic pain medications that come in handy for just such occasions and that is what most drug addicts get a prescription for when they leave the hospital.Those in drug addiction recovery programs request them

According to those who claim they have with draw from stimulants they sleep all the time when they first stop taking the stimulant medication.

So apparently if he stops taking the damn stimulants he would fall asleep on his own no guns, benzos or booze required.

The OP needs to stop taking the damn stimulants if the OP can't do it on his own he needs to check himself into a control environment such as a hospital. . . He needs to go though a drug addiction recovery programs like every one else who is a drug addict or alcoholic - getting addicted to prescription medication does not make any one some sort of special drug addict - they are a drug addict just like every one else who gets addicted - Hell the body doesn't know the difference between chemicals out of a baggie or chemicals out of a bottle - it is all biological and psychological responses based upon genetics and combined with a bad mind set and crap coping skills

I have no sympathy if with draw sucks I say GOOD -

The only reason I don't take up smoking again is because withdraw from nicotine sucked big time and I do not wish to go though it again. . . if I don't light up another cigarette I don't have to. . . I am far from clueless when it come to addictions.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

Last edited by meadd823; 10-13-08 at 03:44 AM..
Old 10-14-08, 04:02 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
First of all an addict would get pain medication in a hospital recovery room

They now have non-narcotic pain medications that come in handy for just such occasions and that is what most drug addicts get a prescription for when they leave the hospital.Those in drug addiction recovery programs request them

According to those who claim they have with draw from stimulants they sleep all the time when they first stop taking the stimulant medication.

So apparently if he stops taking the damn stimulants he would fall asleep on his own no guns, benzos or booze required.

The OP needs to stop taking the damn stimulants if the OP can't do it on his own he needs to check himself into a control environment such as a hospital. . . He needs to go though a drug addiction recovery programs like every one else who is a drug addict or alcoholic - getting addicted to prescription medication does not make any one some sort of special drug addict - they are a drug addict just like every one else who gets addicted - Hell the body doesn't know the difference between chemicals out of a baggie or chemicals out of a bottle - it is all biological and psychological responses based upon genetics and combined with a bad mind set and crap coping skills

I have no sympathy if with draw sucks I say GOOD -

The only reason I don't take up smoking again is because withdraw from nicotine sucked big time and I do not wish to go though it again. . . if I don't light up another cigarette I don't have to. . . I am far from clueless when it come to addictions.
It's still no reason to be cold and show no empathy for him whatsoever. I was in his shoes 4 years ago and I received horrible consequences from the addiction. The consequences you get are enough, you don't need people rubbing salt in the wounds.

You still want to ridicule me for what I did? It nearly destroyed everything I had. I still suffer daily from longterm effects.

I nearly lost all my health from what I did. I got much more benefit from people showing empathy (not necessarily sympathy), than from people saying "you f*****g idiot" to me. Addicts are oppositional people.
The Following User Says Thank You to Batman55 For This Useful Post:
ozchris (10-14-08)
Old 10-14-08, 04:08 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

And I would like to say that pretty much every amphetamine addict is acting in a very Darwinian way.. but that doesn't mean this is a dumb group of people. Drug addicts are not generally a "low IQ" group.

Encouraging nasty remarks to people hurting themselves with addiction is not really the way to go. Addiction is a form of self-harm a lot like SI or even anorexia. Self-loathing drives the behavior.

The more ridicule you pile on such a person for his self-destructive behavior, the more self-destructive he could potentially become.

Scare tactics are not always helpful.
Old 10-14-08, 07:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,483 Times in 752 Posts
SuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant future

Respectfully...
...I am prescribed valium, and I NEVER run out.
I NEVER take MORE than one, IF THAT.

......it's like apples and oranges.

I have sat here for 3 years, looking at the same bottle of jose quervo gold.
...covered with dust.

booze is not what I'm addicted to.
....Valium is not what i'm addicted to.

gambling is no problem
opiates are no problem
crack is no problem.

speed is a problem.
....but it's also a solution.

that's why someone holds mine, to allow it to remain a solution instead of a problem.

Syd Barrett
Old 10-14-08, 09:31 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of light

never trusting a (drug)addict with benzos?

really would depend on the person. people who've been addicted to drugs won't automatically gulp down anything mind altering. I'm sure you know that though. Most drug users are IME more careful with safety then most people think.

I can understand some of you guys are angry over the OP abusing his meds but it comes with the territory. Saying he's not ADD is pretty ridiculous considering drug use is common among us.

How do you get off it?

Stop taking it. You'll feel like crap for a while...mostly tiredness, no motivation. It's not life threatening it might just be a bit unpleasant. reduce your dose slowly if you can't handle going 'cold turkey'.

In the future if you decide to keep using or use stimulants again - make sure you figure out a plan so it'll be hard to abuse your meds.

some ideas -
Have a trusted person give you your dose daily or maybe organize to pick up your dose from the chemist weekly or even every couple days. This way you don't have heaps of tablets you can binge on if you slip up.
The Following User Says Thank You to ozchris For This Useful Post:
Batman55 (10-15-08)
Old 10-14-08, 09:41 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sanity View Post
Putting yourself through this just for 'lanning', well, I can only think that some people are beyond help and you would find some way to darwin yourself regardless.
-I bet a lot of the public think the same thing towards us with regards to having ADD and treating with stimulants.

That's bloody awful dude...saying someone is beyond help is cold.

We should try to be a bit more understanding considering this is a support forum.

Do you have ADD captain sanity? You could have ended up in his place if we're going by statistics. Plenty of intelligent, logical people have become drug addicts.
Old 10-14-08, 09:55 AM

CYCLE FATIGUE is on a distinguished road

1. i was up for 10 straight once.what happens after 5=6=7 days or so the brain will try to force sleep it will put you into R.E.M. state when you are still awake.This is its way of trying to shut you down.The fusion ofvisuals of such results in what looks like reality in the distance and i translucent video in front of it(between you and say the tv screen)This gets interpreted as A hallucination.
      2. sory bout the bad spellin
      3. havent taken meds yet today so dont feel like bothering
      4. lol\
      5. damn pressed to many buttons
Closed Thread