ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-08, 10:33 PM
Contributor

frankfarter has a spectacular aura aboutfrankfarter has a spectacular aura about
5-htp, sam-e and l-tyrosine...

is it okay to take these supplements together? will they interact?

i started taking sam-e and 5 htp... the sam-e seems to help me feel better i take that in the morning with omega oils. the bottle suggests to take 5 htp at night and may cause drowsiness. which i learned today is true.

but what if i wanted to try l-tyrosine? what if i take it with one of the other supplements either in the morning or at night? will they interact?

anyone else have any experience with these?

p.s i am not on any prescription drugs...

Illegitimi non carborundum.
(don't let the *******s grind you down!)
- unknown
Old 10-16-08, 11:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

browneyes_326 will become famous soon enough
Re: 5-htp, sam-e and l-tyrosine...

This may sound weird but there's a website that's called
www.bodybuilding.com

What they have as part of their site is a 'supplement super store' as part of their site .. they sell every supplement imaginable (at great prices too!) with in-depth explanations of ingredients and uses. You can search by use or by supplement name.

Their' regular 'supersite' has article on almost anything you can imagine ... if you search on those supplements you should find all kind of articles to read ranging from scientific to simple.

This has been my bible for years and I used to spend hours reading about supps ... now that you have info on the ones that benefit ADD you can go read what a 'neutral' party says

... And FYI they do not sell their own brands. And written articles are submitted from many sources ... so they're about as neutral and straight forward as it gets. They discuss many taboo uses of supplements candidly ... so I believe they're straight shooters

Give it a try at let me know what you think!

The Following User Says Thank You to browneyes_326 For This Useful Post:
DesertDave (11-23-08)
Old 10-17-08, 05:36 PM

marcykid will become famous soon enough

I don't think so. I've tried them all and there's no problem using any of them together, but you should use one at a time to see what each one does to you, then add them together later, slowly. Otherwise you'll just be taking a pile of pills, wondering what's doing what. Also, with the l-tyrosine, just like the stims, keep an eye on your blood pressure and heart rate. It can elevate one, or both, in some people, just like adderall and rit. And try to avoid caffeine and alcohol until you know how these supplements affect you. The other question is... what kind of ADDer are you? Are you hyperactive? Comorbid depression/anxiety/OCD/bipolar? Your body will react differently, depending. Also, have you ever had your thyroid checked? I advocate this for all ADDers. If you're going to be treating yourself for ADD you should at least have your heart and your thyroid checked first.

Hyperactive ADDers seem to like L-Theanine, a chemical found in green tea that mellows them out (almost like weed). I have inattentive ADD without hyperactivity, and have yet to find a "recommended" supplement that works. I do take potassium iodide to protect and regulate my thyroid which... as it turns out... has helped my ADD symptoms immeasurably, but you won't find that little tip in the ADD handbook of treatments. It's just something I found out that works for me. No idea if it will work for anyone else.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marcykid For This Useful Post:
dude102 (12-20-09), frankfarter (10-18-08), MCate (03-28-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-08, 06:17 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Captain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the rough

The 5htp is best asa sleep aid,a nd it's not really going to help ADD any. The l-tyrosine works but will raise blood pressure. The SAMe works but only at high doses it seems, and not spectacularly.

For supplements for ADD, fish oil and ALCAR+ALA seem to be by far the most effective, and mucuna pruriens is pretty helpful, too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Sanity For This Useful Post:
frankfarter (10-18-08), katewithadd1234 (07-16-09)
Old 10-17-08, 09:28 PM
ADDvanced Member

Manoa has a spectacular aura aboutManoa has a spectacular aura about

I've been really PMS this week and Vyvanse effects have been much lower.

5-htp and DopaBean in the morning really seem to help me. I didn't know 5-htp causes drowsiness ... didn't for me, but with PMS, maybe it mellowed me?

At night I take GABA. Another one that supposedly doesn't cross brain barrier, but could at higher doses. I dunno, I take recommended dosage and sleep better.
Old 10-17-08, 11:55 PM
Contributor

mystery has a spectacular aura aboutmystery has a spectacular aura about

I took a small amount of 5-htp and l-tyrosine on a few occasions. This wasn't too bad of a combination, as the l-tyrosine may have made me slightly anxious and the 5-htp took care of the anxiety. I don't really care for these though, and they don't compare at all to meds in terms of ability to treat my ADHD.
Old 10-18-08, 04:03 AM
Contributor

frankfarter has a spectacular aura aboutfrankfarter has a spectacular aura about

thanks for all your input... keep it coming!!!

- unknown
Old 10-18-08, 04:05 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Batman55 is a glorious beacon of lightBatman55 is a glorious beacon of lightBatman55 is a glorious beacon of lightBatman55 is a glorious beacon of lightBatman55 is a glorious beacon of light

What about l-tyrosine or l-dopa, with caffeine ingestion?

Does that get pretty unsafe?

I'm interested in trying one of those with caffeine because my tolerance has gotten too high, I figure maybe the only way to recharge the effect of caffeine (other than quitting for a while) is to make more dopamine available...
Old 10-18-08, 06:49 AM
Contributor

Quote:
I'm interested in trying one of those with caffeine because my tolerance has gotten too high, I figure maybe the only way to recharge the effect of caffeine (other than quitting for a while) is to make more dopamine available...
hmmm... very interesting!!!!

- unknown
Old 10-18-08, 02:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

Manoa has a spectacular aura aboutManoa has a spectacular aura about

Batman - I drink 3 cups of coffee in the morning with my Vyvanse and morning supplements. I do notice that my coffee intake has been MUCH lower since starting Vyvanse. I just don't need the jolt.

Mystery brings up a good point. For me right now, I started 5-htp and DopaBean primarily as a mood and energy boost while on my period. And, actually, I've been fighting the flu as well.

I'm not sure if I'll want or need the supplements during the rest of the month. Of course, I will keep up with Omega fish oil and GABA.

Also ... came across something, Flax seed oil has to go through a conversion process and is one step further away than Omega-3's. So, it's good, but not as potent as taking Omega-3.
Old 10-18-08, 02:46 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Captain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the rough

l-dopa or other neurotransmitters won't really help with tolerance, but tking them in the morning helps me a lot with the tiredness I get from chronic stimulant use over time.
Old 11-17-08, 06:02 PM

Benzion is on a distinguished road

Hi, I just noticed this discussion in a search on neurotransmitter supplementation. I came across a website http://www.neuroassist.com that recommends taking 5HTP, Dopa, and l-Tyrosine together for ADHD. The recommend doing it with a physician trained in the method who can perform urine tests to get you to the individually optimal dose, but claim great success in treating ADHD. They said that taking them individually is actually a problem-- it causes depletion of the others, resulting in worsening of symptoms. The same claim is made for ritalin and adderal-- that while temporarily beneficial, they cause neurotransmitter depletion and are neurotoxic. I have to say I agree with them after only a year on ritalin as an adult with ADHD. It's not having the effect it seemed to have before, even though my doctor upped my dosage significantly. I think a more scientific, orthomolecular approach to medicine is what's needed for ADHD. Generally, their recommended starting dose is 150mg 5HTP, 1,500 mg l-Tyrosine, and 60 mg Dopa (in the form of mucuna pruriens 40% extract), taken all together once in the morning and another dose at 4pm. However, they recommend working with a physician trained in this because depending on urine neurotransmitter/amino-acid levels dosage needs to be increased or decreased on individual supplements to work and not deplete the others. Furthermore, they recommend 4,500 mg l-cysteine to replace glutathione depletion from the high levels of supplementation. That seems like a lot to me given cysteine's potential to cause renal stones and its low effectiveness-- I'd think a much lower level of N-acetyl cysteine would be better. Anyways, just some observations. If anyone knows more about this group and their work, please let me know.
Thanks
Old 11-20-08, 03:15 AM
ADDvanced Member

Garbanzo Dude is on a distinguished road

my .02

5 HTP just makes me sleepy (don't take with SSRI)

l-tyrosine works but inconsistant- (works like a mild stim at 500mg and above)

SAMe works for the first few days then fades (don't take with SSRI)
Old 11-21-08, 11:00 PM
Contributor

lostmykeys is just really nicelostmykeys is just really nicelostmykeys is just really nicelostmykeys is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyes_326 View Post
This may sound weird but there's a website that's called
www.bodybuilding.com

What they have as part of their site is a 'supplement super store' as part of their site .. they sell every supplement imaginable (at great prices too!) with in-depth explanations of ingredients and uses. You can search by use or by supplement name.

Their' regular 'supersite' has article on almost anything you can imagine ... if you search on those supplements you should find all kind of articles to read ranging from scientific to simple.

This has been my bible for years and I used to spend hours reading about supps ... now that you have info on the ones that benefit ADD you can go read what a 'neutral' party says

... And FYI they do not sell their own brands. And written articles are submitted from many sources ... so they're about as neutral and straight forward as it gets. They discuss many taboo uses of supplements candidly ... so I believe they're straight shooters

Give it a try at let me know what you think!
Swwweeet!! My husband works there!! They are really a great company, seriously. He just got a job there and we are getting into the forums and articles. Great information.
Old 11-23-08, 12:21 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

DesertDave is just really niceDesertDave is just really niceDesertDave is just really niceDesertDave is just really nice

It is a great site. The information side is a useful resource. And you're right about the prices -- they're pretty good.
---! I need to update this. I'll put that on the list

No, I don't proofread my postings. I type, I click submit. Then cringe if I go back & read it later.