ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 10-21-08, 07:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

bunkie68 is a jewel in the roughbunkie68 is a jewel in the roughbunkie68 is a jewel in the rough
Vyvanse - can it take several hours to kick in?

My son, age 6, started taking 20 mg of Vyvanse on Saturday. Saturday and Sunday, he was an emotional rollercoaster, ranging from sobbing and crying to angry and belligerent to calm and starting all over again. Monday he was about the same in class, still having problems with talking out of turn and getting up out of his seat, and had a huge meltdown when I picked him up from the after-school program. Today he was also about the same in class (with the new addition of getting up and leaving the room without permission), but the counselors at the after-school program told me he'd had a really good day there and had been much calmer than usual, and now that we're home, he's settled down and is playing quietly with his Bionicles. He takes his meds between 6:45 and 7:00 AM. School starts at 7:45 AM and lets out at 2:45 PM, when he goes to the after-school program. Could it take the meds the bulk of the school day to start having an effect? Might that be why we're not seeing any difference yet in classroom behavior but he's getting to where he's a lot calmer in the late afternoon and evening? I know we've only been on it four days, and it can take a while to see the full effect. We have a follow-up appointment with his doctor on Monday, and I'll be asking her these questions as well. I just thought I'd ask and see if anyone else has experienced anything similar with the Vyvanse. (And what would the solution be, to give it to him in the middle of the night?)
Old 10-22-08, 02:28 AM
Contributor

Jaycee has disabled reputation
Re: Vyvanse - can it take several hours to kick in?

My son tried Vyvance this summer and it looked fine, but we had to change back to Adderall XR for school. It took a bit longer to kick in but not hours. It was only about 30-45 minutes. Check the manufactures website for their studies but you may need a different med.

Young children can have various side affect from the meds. If the result is worse than the original, it's probably not the right medication. Sometimes younger children do not process the meds as well as when they get older. Contact your doctor and talk with him about switching. Very often the pharmacutical companies will give you a free trial to try the meds for a month so ask about that too or go to their website and see.

Adderall is same gen category. Ritalin, Methlyn, Concerta, still controlled stimulants but different class (not dex salts) Straterra..not controlled: non-meth, works in bloodlevels and processed through liver not kidneys.

Kids react different to each of these. Even withi a stimulant class there are differences in what their bodies process. Check out the medication and treatment section of the forum for more info on these meds.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Old 10-22-08, 01:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

MGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud of

As noted, it should not take hours to activate.

I wonder why doctors go straight to the long acting version of a med. My doctor always starts with the short acting version. Then if there are problems, the child is not stuck with 8 hours of misery. For these meds, you should know after the first pill if they work. They do not take time to build up in the bloodstream.

Sounds to me like the med acted as a stimulant for your child. Not as a seditive, like it would be for an ADHD child. So he was hyped up all day. Then by the time he got home he was worn out.

I would either go back and reverify your childs evaluation and diagnosis for ADHD. Or try a different medicine. With a clear report like that, where your child was worse than normal, I would not administer the medication again. IMHO
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-08, 01:38 AM

KaiserBravery can only hope to improve

Maybe its too high a dose? If you have too much doesnt it have the opposite effect? (Make you more hyper)

This may explain why as the meds start to wear off as the day goes on.. it actually starts to work.

anyway, im not an expert just thought id throw out a possibility