ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 11-07-08, 10:54 AM

lisalauck is on a distinguished road
taking adderall for years, just NOW it makes me sick. wtf?

I've been taking adderall XR for almost 4 years. Recently I took a month and a half long break because it wasn't as effective anymore and the nature of my job meant I didn't really need it. Long story short, I decided I did need it for other aspects of my life and I started again. Same dosage as before, I worked up to the same dosage over a week+, and now like two months into treatment again, I am still feeling nauseated all day long and getting crazy headaches as the dosage wears off later in the evening. This only happened to me before when I first started the meds like 4 years ago and I don't remember the sickness lasting this long. Why NOW after all this time is the Adderall XR making me sick? It's not a generic version that I'm aware of... pill still says Shire. So anyone know what gives?
Old 11-07-08, 12:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice
Re: taking adderall for years, just NOW it makes me sick. wtf?

Just chill out, the dosage is still too high right now and your body is adjusting. When transitioning to adderall it will make you feel sluggish for like 8 weeks, it takes time. Just take it easy and have some faith. What ever happened to believing that everything will workout, don't live in the moment.
Old 11-07-08, 02:42 PM
Contributor

Grey Kameleon has a spectacular aura aboutGrey Kameleon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
Just chill out, the dosage is still too high right now and your body is adjusting. When transitioning to adderall it will make you feel sluggish for like 8 weeks, it takes time. Just take it easy and have some faith. What ever happened to believing that everything will workout, don't live in the moment.
I don't think the adjustment period is supposed to be 8 weeks. It does take time, but 8 weeks?

Dx: ADHD-PI (possible misdiagnosis), Anxiety Disorder NOS.

Rx: Just ran out.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-08, 02:56 PM
Forum Guru

meriellyn has a spectacular aura aboutmeriellyn has a spectacular aura about

Funny how our reactions to meds can change so much over time.

Might be time to try something else.
Before I know what it will say

- "Crooked Teeth" ~ Deathcab for Cutie

Old 11-07-08, 03:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

Well honestly I was very used to concerta and how it worked. I think it took probably a month to get used to concerta not being in my system and a month for adderall to start working in a new and different way. It's not like it took 8 weeks. I think I had some sides for 3-4 weeks and just gutted through it...
Old 11-07-08, 06:28 PM

lisalauck is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I remember just sucking it up the first time around and that it eventually wore off, but it just seems like it is taking so much longer this time. The other unusual thing is that when I first started again, I started with half a bottle of pills that I had been taking before. I didn't feel sick like this even though I didn't feel great. But with this bottle, damn. I feel miserable. It doesn't make sense that I'd get a "bad batch" but I wonder how things will be with the next bottle.

Maybe I am just getting used to it all over again. I just wondered if anyone had experienced something similar since my sickness seems so out of whack this time. I'll give it another few weeks I suppose.
Old 11-07-08, 07:55 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Captain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the rough

You built up tolerance over 4 years. You can probably cut your dose down a bit.
Old 11-07-08, 10:44 PM

gasstronamicle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalauck View Post
Yeah, I remember just sucking it up the first time around and that it eventually wore off, but it just seems like it is taking so much longer this time. The other unusual thing is that when I first started again, I started with half a bottle of pills that I had been taking before. I didn't feel sick like this even though I didn't feel great. But with this bottle, damn. I feel miserable. It doesn't make sense that I'd get a "bad batch" but I wonder how things will be with the next bottle.

Maybe I am just getting used to it all over again. I just wondered if anyone had experienced something similar since my sickness seems so out of whack this time. I'll give it another few weeks I suppose.
your body is still adjusting is my view. give it some time... give it a week or two and if things dont improve you might need something else (and for clarification purpose's by improve i dont mean gone, but less severe... ie your migranes become headaches.... ) you took a month off and your body got used to no adderall now it has to find a way to adjust to adderall.
Old 11-08-08, 08:46 AM

Sloan is on a distinguished road

Do you drink coffee, tea, or soda? Eat chocolate?

People always seem to forget that Adderall + caffeine = stimulant overload.
I've had my share of experiences in the past, so I always tell people to avoid consuming too much of it.