ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 11-08-08, 01:25 AM
ADDvanced Member

johnnyx will become famous soon enough
Maximum Dosage of Adderall IR?

I am taking 50 mg of Adderall IR in the morning around 10am for school and 50 mg more at around 1pm. and 20 mg of Dexadrine at 5pm.

I am in either school or the library from 10am until 11:30pm, that is why I take it thoughout the day.

I am 335 lbs and yes I am trying to lose weight b/c I know the weight can make me tired and lose focus.

I was wondering if any one else is taking this much meds, I figure I am bigger so that it doesn't effect me that much.

I feel a gradual increase in energy and focus but I am not jittery and have no heart palpatations.

Just wondering if I am on the edge of the Adderall IR fronteir in terms of dosages per day? At lower dosages 30-40 mg I still get distracted. 50 mg seems to do the trick in terms of focus and not giving me any side effects.

Also I take the weekend off so do not take any meds on saturday and sunday.
Old 11-08-08, 02:48 AM
Contributor

bobC has a spectacular aura aboutbobC has a spectacular aura about
Re: Maximum Dosage of Adderall IR?

Its definitly a higher then average dosage, but I have seen a number of posts by people taking as much. If your doctor had you taper up to that dosage over a few months it may be what you need.

If its too much you will notice a feeling of euphoria. Increased interest in the mundane + a false sense of motivation. Also if your not sleeping well it could be the dose is too high.

If your feeling paranoid you should check with your doctor asap

BobC
Old 11-08-08, 10:28 AM

zwyt is on a distinguished road

Oh crap man, you mean you don't get to keep the euphoria???

Charles
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-08, 12:23 AM
ADDvanced Member

johnnyx will become famous soon enough

I thought the euphoria was part of the focus oops

What is a false sense of motivation? I thought the meds were supposed to make you motivated to do stuff, get up and clean or do productive stuff.
Old 11-09-08, 02:21 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Captain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyx View Post
I thought the euphoria was part of the focus oops

What is a false sense of motivation? I thought the meds were supposed to make you motivated to do stuff, get up and clean or do productive stuff.
The max recommended dose is something like 1 mg per kg, which for you would be...140mg? Something like that. Might want to check your pulse and bp to be safe.

It doesn't necessarily motivate you more to get started, but it makes it easier to keep on with something once you do. If you take too much you can go the other direction, though.
Old 01-23-12, 05:18 AM

alwayshyper is on a distinguished road

Where did you get your information from that says the max daily dosage for an individual is 1mg per kg of bodyweight? I'm curious because I've never heard that ever and I've been on adderall and researched it many times over the years for safety concerrns before I let any doctor up my dose......
Old 01-25-12, 04:58 AM
ADDvanced Member

Urgezz will become famous soon enough

IMO people are too worried about the stigma of feeling "euphoria". relative to my life before meds, EVERYTHING is euphoria. Take your prescribed dose, no more no less without doctor approval. That's what it's supposed to feel like
Old 01-25-12, 10:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

John836 is on a distinguished road

My doctor said 40 mg of IR is the maximum dosage and 60 mg of XR is the maximum dosage. Both seem low for a maximum dosage, but then again I don't have a phd....
Old 01-25-12, 10:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

cattail is just really nicecattail is just really nicecattail is just really nicecattail is just really nice

Physicians don't have phd's either. They have MD's. My phys says 60 is the max for both but clearly she is wrong because so many people take more.
Old 01-25-12, 10:52 PM
Moderately Neato

Thanked 2,650 Times in 1,430 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwyt View Post
Oh crap man, you mean you don't get to keep the euphoria???

Charles
LOL. I guess you just have to get your high from getting things done.
Old 01-25-12, 10:53 PM
Moderately Neato

Thanked 2,650 Times in 1,430 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattail View Post
Physicians don't have phd's either. They have MD's. My phys says 60 is the max for both but clearly she is wrong because so many people take more.
My doctor told me that 30mg at 2x was the highest amount he could prescribe me, and I'd have to see a shrink to get anything higher than that.
Old 01-25-12, 10:58 PM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,134 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, Adderall IR isn't FDA approved to treat adult ADHD. It's approved for treating children with ADHD and for treating narcolepsy. That said, the prescribing guide for Adderall IR states (for children) that only in rare cases will it be necessary to exceed 40mg per day.

Quote:
Not recommended for children under 3 years of age. In children from 3 to 5 years of age, start with 2.5 mg daily; daily dosage may be raised in increments of 2.5 mg at weekly intervals until optimal response is obtained.
In children 6 years of age and older, start with 5 mg once or twice daily; daily dosage may be raised in increments of 5 mg at weekly intervals until optimal response is obtained. Only in rare cases will it be necessary to exceed a total of 40 mg per day. Give first dose on awakening; additional doses (1 or 2) at intervals of 4 to 6 hours.
For treating narcolepsy, it states between 5-60mg per day:
Quote:
Usual dose 5 mg to 60 mg per day in divided doses, depending on the individual patient response.
Narcolepsy seldom occurs in children under 12 years of age; however, when it does, dextroamphetamine sulfate may be used. The suggested initial dose for patients aged 6-12 is 5 mg daily; daily dose may be raised in increments of 5 mg at weekly intervals until optimal response is obtained. In patients 12 years of age and older, start with 10 mg daily; daily dosage may be raised in increments of 10 mg at weekly intervals until optimal response is obtained. If bothersome adverse reactions appear (e.g., insomnia or anorexia), dosage should be reduced. Give first dose on awakening; additional doses (1 or 2) at intervals of 4 to 6 hours.
These quotes were taken from the 2007 medications guide from Barr (after Barr acquired Duramed-but before Teva acquired Barr) pages 12 and 13 http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsa...522s040lbl.pdf

While the manufacturer states that patients shouldn't exceed certain doses except under rare circumstances, there is no set amount (in the manufacturer's literature) for treating adults with ADHD. In 2004, Adderall XR became the first medication (FDA) approved to treat adults with ADHD.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
The Following User Says Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
ADDmeIn (01-26-12)
Old 01-26-12, 05:42 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyx View Post
I was wondering if any one else is taking this much meds, I figure I am bigger so that it doesn't effect me that much.
if its working for you and you arent increasing the dose over time then what are you worried about and "wondering"? stop wondering, this is what people like us with ADHD do and need meds for in the first place...

keep an eye on your blood pressure, daily with a home device is best, have a full checkup exam done at least once year and let the med do its work and stop "wondering"!!!!