ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 11-10-08, 12:13 PM

aesculanus is on a distinguished road
when to take magnesium, l-dopa, other supplements with adderall?

Because I don't want to build a strong tolerance to adderall, i take a variety of supplements i read that counteract tolerance build up, including magnesium, l-dopa, and huperzine.

when is the best time to take these? right now i take them before bed, but i'm wondering if i should take them in the morning with my adderall...?
Old 11-10-08, 07:07 PM

nurse708 is on a distinguished road
Re: when to take magnesium, l-dopa, other supplements with adderall?

I take my magnesium at night.

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."
The Following User Says Thank You to nurse708 For This Useful Post:
arrested_truth (10-17-09)
Old 11-10-08, 10:27 PM

Subtracterall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesculanus View Post
Because I don't want to build a strong tolerance to adderall, i take a variety of supplements i read that counteract tolerance build up, including magnesium, l-dopa, and huperzine.

when is the best time to take these? right now i take them before bed, but i'm wondering if i should take them in the morning with my adderall...?
I'm not sure about huperzine, but if l-dopa is similar to l-tyrosine in action, combining that with magnesium could [and probably will, especially on a higher dosage] seriously push the amphetamine in your system to dangerous levels.

I goofed up and took ONE magnesium/calcium/zinc combo in the AM (which was 1 out of 3 you're supposed to take for 400mg of magnesium/1000 calcium/50 zinc) and felt this unique pronounced 'head pressure' get notably bad. Not terrible, but enough for me to know "Magnesium might be a bad idea."

People have had severe reactions to combining the tyrosine (which supplements dopamine) with adderall, and I know that magnesium generally likes to be taken at night.

I take a whole bunch of other essential vitamins too, including vitamin C in massive dosages to knock out whatever's left active of the adderall in the evening, even if I can't tell it's in my system.

It seems to really help a lot. Best advice is to take them at night.

Take your B-vitamin in the morning, you could also add a b-6 at bedtime (it didn't give me energy contrary to what the bottle says). I generally take lysine with the vitamin c in the evening, too, but may or may not be doing good with that mix.

I'm interested in hearing more about the safety of melatonin and CO-Q10, CO-Q10- I heard [cant really say conclusively] can actually cause heart muscle tearing if taken and the user does strenuous exercise. Personally, when I stopped supplementation with CO-q10 I felt better, which meant stopping anything but my multivitamin pretty much, and I have to take that in the evenings, too.

You should seriously see the pile of pills I take at night to make sure my medication works the next day, I don't want to eat extra food if I wanted a snack before them.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-08, 11:48 PM

cwonderig is on a distinguished road

I take a multivitamin & fish oil after eating lunch. Another fish oil after diner. And Magnesium at night. sometime I'll add a melatonin or valerian root if I can't sleep.
Old 10-13-09, 03:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADHD Ceilidh is on a distinguished road

Sorry Subtract but I have to respectfully disagree with the information in your post. Tyrosine is a precursor molecule, not a prodrug. By definition, this means that your body would not push you into overdose when taking it unless 1 of 2 very rare scenarios were occurring. The first would be if you had an inborn error of metabolism where your body could not convert other amino acids to tyrosine and you were tyrosine depleted and on stimulants at a dose titrated to a lack of tyrosine and then suddenly began taking the supplement. The other would be if you were on such an enormous dose of stimulants that you had depleted all immediate tyrosine stores and lack of tyrosine had become the rate limiting factor in dopamine production and release, but without a genetic problem limiting conversion of other amino acids to tyrosine it would be difficult to imagine how this would occur unless the dose of stimulants was already in effect a severe overdose. I am not off the top of my head aware of a named genetic defect that limits conversion of other amino acids to tyrosine but if anyone was interested I could try and research this. If there are any biochemists among s perhaps they could remind us of the involved enzymes which would help in researching and disorders? Again, to re-itereate for all: amino acids are precursor molecules and not prodrugs. The body needs an adequate pool of them to manufacture other compounds such as dopamine and proteins, but having amino acids in excess will not lead to dopamine overproduction as once your body feels it has enough it stops making it and does something else with the ingested tyrosine. In general, having more tyrosine is likely to make this process of dopamine repletion easier on your metabolism by saving steps in the equation, but unless you are overdosing on the medications already it is unlike to create an overdose situation. Otherwise stimulants would have to have severe food reaction warnings and dietary limitations in the way that MAOIs do, which are sort of a special case scenario I won't get into here, but be assured that there is lots of tyrosine in many foods people eat and if it created an unsafe situation in combination with stimulants, everyone with ADD/ADHD on stims would have overdosed by now. Just my 2 cents. And I have a doctorate degree which makes my 2 cents perhaps worth something. I hope that helps, and I don;t mean to be contradictory, just trying to correct what my training teaches me is incorrect information so others will have the right information to make informed decisions. Cheers.
Old 10-13-09, 05:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

Another thought just occurred to me. I was thinking of replies I might get to the previous post and what I would say. Which would be a smart-*** joke like: "They have a name for that disorder. It's ADHD." But then I started thinking that perhaps that is true and represents a 3rd explanation that would make both my advice and Subtract's advice valid. If ADHD/ADD is actually caused by a defect in this pathway, as it's underlying biochemical mechanism, then people could have an OD as described by Subtract with the combination of a stimulant and Tyrosine. I am not the most up to date on recent biochemical pathway research into ADD/ADHD. Does anyone know if this has been scientifically explored or tested as a mechanism? I would be specifically proposing a genetic defect causing a mutation in an enzyme along the Tyrosine to dopamine conversion pathway and then resulting in lower baseline dopamine production as the end result, thus causing ADHD. Any info would be appreciated. Maybe I'm late to this bandwagon but I just thought of that....
Old 10-13-09, 05:42 PM
Contributor

CalmTheChaos has a spectacular aura aboutCalmTheChaos has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Re: when to take magnesium, l-dopa, other supplements with adderall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD Ceilidh View Post
Sorry Subtract but I have to respectfully disagree with the information in your post. Tyrosine is a precursor molecule, not a prodrug. By definition, this means that your body would not push you into overdose when taking it unless 1 of 2 very rare scenarios were occurring. The first would be if you had an inborn error of metabolism where your body could not convert other amino acids to tyrosine and you were tyrosine depleted and on stimulants at a dose titrated to a lack of tyrosine and then suddenly began taking the supplement. The other would be if you were on such an enormous dose of stimulants that you had depleted all immediate tyrosine stores and lack of tyrosine had become the rate limiting factor in dopamine production and release, but without a genetic problem limiting conversion of other amino acids to tyrosine it would be difficult to imagine how this would occur unless the dose of stimulants was already in effect a severe overdose. I am not off the top of my head aware of a named genetic defect that limits conversion of other amino acids to tyrosine but if anyone was interested I could try and research this. If there are any biochemists among s perhaps they could remind us of the involved enzymes which would help in researching and disorders? Again, to re-itereate for all: amino acids are precursor molecules and not prodrugs. The body needs an adequate pool of them to manufacture other compounds such as dopamine and proteins, but having amino acids in excess will not lead to dopamine overproduction as once your body feels it has enough it stops making it and does something else with the ingested tyrosine. In general, having more tyrosine is likely to make this process of dopamine repletion easier on your metabolism by saving steps in the equation, but unless you are overdosing on the medications already it is unlike to create an overdose situation. Otherwise stimulants would have to have severe food reaction warnings and dietary limitations in the way that MAOIs do, which are sort of a special case scenario I won't get into here, but be assured that there is lots of tyrosine in many foods people eat and if it created an unsafe situation in combination with stimulants, everyone with ADD/ADHD on stims would have overdosed by now. Just my 2 cents. And I have a doctorate degree which makes my 2 cents perhaps worth something. I hope that helps, and I don;t mean to be contradictory, just trying to correct what my training teaches me is incorrect information so others will have the right information to make informed decisions. Cheers.

Holy Wall-of-Text, Batman!

I'm sure this contains some interesting info, but my eyes just aren't up to that level of challenge.

Please use your [Enter] key liberally. Paragraphs are our friends.

Thanks!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CalmTheChaos For This Useful Post:
7eeing7evens (10-20-12), bunn1ee (09-14-12), Daydreamin22 (11-04-13)
Old 10-14-09, 12:35 AM
ADDvanced Member

Sorry.

I did those posts from my phone... Will remember to hit return even when mobile

in

the

future
Old 10-15-09, 06:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

I also realized it would make more sense if the defect was in an enzyme or enzymes involved in converting other amino acids to tyrosine.

This would make the body more tyrosine intake dependent for dopamine formation and thus release. Perhaps the biochemists among us could weigh in?

Last edited by ADHD Ceilidh; 10-15-09 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-17-09, 06:03 AM
Contributor

Wintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I also realized it would make more sense if the defect was in an enzyme or enzymes involved in converting other amino acids to tyrosine.

This would make the body more tyrosine intake dependent for dopamine formation and thus release. Perhaps the biochemists among us could weigh in?

http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=310
Old 11-22-10, 06:52 PM

varsitymonsterr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am not off the top of my head aware of a named genetic defect that limits conversion of other amino acids to tyrosine but if anyone was interested I could try and research this.
Super agreed.

It's called Tyrosinemia, I think. Super rare, and you would certainly know it if you had it.

College, fools, college...

-John
Steviepdx (02-28-12)
Old 11-16-11, 11:03 AM

Bouncingoffwall will become famous soon enough

Thanks all for the info about tyrosine. I was about to order it, but don't want to risk any severe reactions.

As far as magnesium is concerned, I take it at night; around 800 mg of the malate form does it for me. Taking it before adderall blocks much of its effectiveness for me. On that same note, mag is great for "shutting off" my pm dose so I can sleep soundly.

I've just added zinc to the rotation too, and that seems to provide additional benefit. However, I'd avoid the calcium supplement - the whole issue of tolerance revolves around the buildup of excess Ca++ ions around neurons, so adding additional Calcium into your body isn't going to help with that issue. What you get in your multivitamin (which I take at night; vitamin C) and what you get through a balanced diet should be sufficient.
Old 11-16-11, 11:27 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

As everyone else has said, take these in the evening. L-tyrosine on top of Adderall will make you very jittery, but at night it will help you replenish your dopamine. Magnesium is sedating.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 11-16-11, 12:26 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesculanus View Post

i doubt the true benefits of any supplement that supposedly counters tolerance, other than strong placebo effect of taking them.....I have take them all and notice no effective benefit at all....only if you are short on some of the key nutrients might they offer some help, but if you are just overloading with them they probably arent helping.....should rather focus on good healthy diet, rest and exercise, let your body handle the rest and let the med do its work...
Old 12-29-11, 11:08 PM

supermassive is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: when to take magnesium, l-dopa, other supplements with adderall?

Another view to consider...

The most critical factor in absorbing anything is the lining of the intestinal wall. The best way to have a clean healthy intestinal wall that absorbs 75-100% of what it encounters, is to eat fresh, live raw vegetables and fruits. The enzymes in the raw foods clean out and heal that pathway. In addition and over time, as your absorption begins to increase you collect more vibrant arrays of vitamins and minerals from the food itself which ensures a more stable, balanced (Ph) body. Circulation is better and delivery of chemicals is better.

It's layman, but it is sound. Just a thought!