ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 11-12-08, 04:58 PM

matman40 is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse isn't abusable

For me atleast.

Most people would agree that ADD medicines are abusable, but Vyvanse is different.

I take the max reccomended dose (70mg) and I dont see any "recreational drug like" effects. I dont notice it kick in, I dont experience any euphoria, or any sort of positive body effects.

Since it cant be snorted or injected then the only way to try to get high on it is taking more.. Your liver has to activate this drug, so basically taking more will only elevate your peak blood levels a little bit, but increase duration alot.

70mg of Vyvanse is roughly equivalent to 30mg adderall XR FYI.

Seems like an effective pro drug to me.

EDIT: To make it clearer.. Anyone would agree that the max dose of dexadrine or adderall can be abused/recrational for the first few weeks atleast.
Old 11-13-08, 01:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

Tominal will become famous soon enough
Re: Vyvanse isn't abusable

Some chemical mastermind will figure out how to make the amphetamine active in a test-tube instead of the liver, if they haven't already.

I'm just glad it's here because it's a fabulous medicine (for me) and the doctors aren't as squirrely about it because of the pro-drug thing.
Old 11-13-08, 01:21 PM

ssl419 will become famous soon enough

Is it bad to take (1) 40 mg V in the morning and then another (1) 40 mg in the early afternoon?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-08, 03:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

why would it be bad? If your experiencing the med sliding at around 4pm you should ask your doctor about a supplemental dexedrine dosage at that time period or a higher or mid day dose of vyvanse. I'd go with the supplemental ir dexedrine dosage at that time as it won't cut into your sleep like a substantial increase of vyvanse would-
Old 11-13-08, 03:03 PM

theaddman is on a distinguished road

Yea, twice a day. That's what I think I should be doing.

I'm prescribed to take one (70 mg) in the mornings. And I do, but it starts to taper off around noon. So, to extend the effects, I have decided to try taking half of one (mixed in water) at noon. This has indeed extended the effects a few more hours, and then I'm ready for it to be over anyway. I've done that for the last 3 days, and it works great.

I just sent a note to my Dr., so he will know what I've been up to, and I asked him to let me have a new RX that is for: one 40 mg 2X per day. I hope that he will agree. Of course he may not. He could just as easily yell at me for "experimenting" with my RX.

Will report back later...
Old 11-13-08, 03:59 PM

ssl419 will become famous soon enough

Well I dont know enough about the medication yet and really dont feel like OD'ing today...lol

Called my dr. she is going to get me some 20 mg for the afternoon.
Old 11-13-08, 05:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

jmchamp has a spectacular aura aboutjmchamp has a spectacular aura about

It shouldn't be a big deal to split vyvanse, unlike adderall xr, the drug is uniform throughout the capsule and I think even on Shire's website they recommend mixing the pill contents with water if you have trouble swallowing pills. The only concern would be if you have troubles sleeping, as it would probably be more likely to keep you up. Also, measuring the dose is kinda tricky, but if you take too much first dose, no problem, you would have taken the whole thing normally...
Old 11-13-08, 07:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough

The whole non-abusable thing is somewhat of a marketing scam. True that Vyvanse can't be smoked, snorted or injected to get high but it can still be easily abused the oral route. Just take enough capsules and you will feel it.

Vyvanse is nothing more than dexedrine that takes a little longer to kick in (usually about a 1 hour lag time).

J
Old 11-13-08, 08:01 PM
Contributor

amu_d is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1973 View Post
The whole non-abusable thing is somewhat of a marketing scam. True that Vyvanse can't be smoked, snorted or injected to get high but it can still be easily abused the oral route. Just take enough capsules and you will feel it.

Vyvanse is nothing more than dexedrine that takes a little longer to kick in (usually about a 1 hour lag time).

J
I've heard the body can only metabolize a limited amount of lysine. This might limit even oral abuse.
Old 11-14-08, 05:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

jmchamp has a spectacular aura aboutjmchamp has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by amu_d View Post
I've heard the body can only metabolize a limited amount of lysine. This might limit even oral abuse.
Exactly, it's not perfect, but it does make it less desirable than IR amphetamines for abuse. The other potential abuse factor would be to find out which enzyme hydrolyzes the l-lysine and use that dubiously.
Old 11-14-08, 11:41 PM
Contributor

Contrapunctus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominal View Post
Some chemical mastermind will figure out how to make the amphetamine active in a test-tube instead of the liver, if they haven't already.

I'm just glad it's here because it's a fabulous medicine (for me) and the doctors aren't as squirrely about it because of the pro-drug thing.
The lysine could easily be removed using a certain enzyme (I won't name which one!) and a buffer.

Large doses of lisdex is likely abusable. There is some info about the abuse liability on the prescribing sheet:

Quote:

In a human abuse liability study, when equivalent oral doses of 100 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate and 40 mg immediate release d-amphetamine sulfate were administered to individuals with a history of drug abuse, lisdexamfetamine dimesylate100 mg produced subjective responses on a scale of “Drug Liking Effects”,
“Amphetamine Effects”, and “Stimulant Effects” that were significantly less than
d-amphetamine immediate release 40 mg. However, oral administration of 150 mg
lisdexamfetamine dimesylate produced increases in positive subjective responses
on these scales that were statistically indistinguishable from the positive subjective
responses produced by 40 mg of oral immediate-release d-amphetamine and 200
mg of diethylpropion (C-IV).
Intravenous....
Old 11-14-08, 11:54 PM
Jr Member

oznoGrD is on a distinguished road

As far as abuse of Vivanse:
-person with very fast metabolism may metabolize it into amphetamine + lysine quick enough for the effects to be similar to Adderall XR oe even Dex
-from observation a person who I will call B had a script to Vivanse to avoid abusing amphetamine, but found herself soon snorting it away just fine
-A high dose will kick your *** regardless of its metabolism-related release

In conclusion I believe it is just as abusable as other forms of amphetamine, but most effective if used properly as continuous release form of it.

Also I wonder if methylphenidate can be made into similar prodrug?
Old 11-16-08, 06:38 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Tylerlee17 will become famous soon enough

Vyvanse can be abused via the oral route, even though the liver can only metabolize a limited amount of lysine at once. The reason is because the more you take the longer your body is constantly absorbing the drug leading to a higher content level in your bloodstream constantly working. In other words, you're gonna metabolize each increment faster than its half life (I think the half life of D-amp is 3-5 hours). D-Amphetamine Blood contents rises and you slowly get the 'high' from the drug. However, it does put some limitations on the 'rushing' sensation that many drug seeker's try to achieve.
Old 11-16-08, 12:09 PM
Contributor

Contrapunctus is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^The half-life of d-amphetamine is alot longer than 3-5 hours. It is closer to two times the second figure....
Old 11-16-08, 12:29 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Tylerlee17 will become famous soon enough

Yup you're right, my bad long night.