ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 11-12-08, 06:06 PM
Jr Member

edbones is on a distinguished road
diagnosed 3 days ago, wise people needed.

25 year old dude w/ history of anxiety and depression. whew.

i was diagnosed with adhd 3 days ago, as you probably read in the title, and my doc perscribed me concerta, 36mg.

day one was cool, much more "in life" than "in head" i guess would be a good way to put it. although at night i became extremely irritable, while usually im cool headed.

day two was incredible, it was living as one should, felt like whatever was missing all these years was now here, i had a wonderful day. evening kinda cracked me out, irritable again as well.

both of these days also were plagued with a dull but constant headache, ups and downs, and ive been misspelling things and my typing is off (which is odd), also i seem to be having slight short term memory problems.

now today, today sucked. it was like the wool was put back over my eyes. really dissapointing after the other day's effect. i felt out of it, irritable all day, and kinda sickly. and tired, boy im freakin tired.

i'm wondering if this is common, and what the general concensus is on what is the best med?

ive read great things about adderallxr, and wonder if i should suggest it, or
Vyvanse, which i've read good things about as well.

it doesnt seem like as many good things are said about concerta.

i've left a message for my doctor as i dont want to wait till my appt in two weeks with all these side effects, especially is its gonna be like today.

sorry for the long post, i hope it makes sense, im not very focused at the moment.
Old 11-12-08, 06:37 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Howard_C is a name known to allHoward_C is a name known to allHoward_C is a name known to allHoward_C is a name known to allHoward_C is a name known to allHoward_C is a name known to all
Re: diagnosed 3 days ago, wise people needed.

36 mg isn't a high dose, but it is a high initial dose.

These are not abnormal initial symptoms, but you need to be alert to the possibility that you may have an allergy or a high sensitivity.

I would not take a dose tomorrow AM until you talk to your Dr.

I copied this from another post -

From the patient info sheet: https://online.epocrates.com/u/10a2310/Concerta

Stop taking methylphenidate and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

* fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeats;
* feeling light-headed, fainting;
* increased blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision, trouble concentrating, chest pain, numbness, seizure);
* fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
* aggression, restlessness, hallucinations, unusual behavior, or motor tics (muscle twitches); or
* easy bruising, purple spots on your skin.

Continue taking methylphenidate and talk with your doctor if you have any of these less serious side effects:

* vision problems;
* mild skin rash;
* dizziness;
* nervous feeling, sleep problems (insomnia);
* nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite; or
* weight loss.
Old 11-12-08, 06:40 PM
Jr Member

thank you much.

i guess after that initial success i am concerned that this isnt for me.

and after feeling that in control again, im dissapointed.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-08, 06:51 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Howard_C is a name known to allHoward_C is a name known to allHoward_C is a name known to allHoward_C is a name known to allHoward_C is a name known to allHoward_C is a name known to all

A - It may be for you but you need to get used to it.

C - It may be for you but you need a lower dose (at least initially).

C - It may not be for you, because your body is overly sensitive (so really any dose may be too much).

A &/or B mean stick with it but maybe start lower.

C means stop it and try something else (but not Ritalin or Focalin, because they are in the same class).
The Following User Says Thank You to Howard_C For This Useful Post:
edbones (11-12-08)
Old 11-12-08, 07:06 PM
Jr Member

thanks, im gonna stick it out, typing skills be damned.

that day of relief was enough for me to bank on that ive found a way to relax a bit.

thank you for the advice, and the easy, multiple choice method of delivery.
Old 11-12-08, 10:49 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Reading over what you wrote...you should really talk w/ your Dr. - if not tomorrow then on Friday.

Sticking it out is good, but watch for "excessive" side effects. You can look here for more "adverse reactions" - http://www.umm.edu/altmed/drugs/meth...age/Toxicology

I took Focalin (same class) but couldn't tolerate it. It gave me focus but the side effects were really an indication of an allergy.

If you get "tics", "hair loss" (not me, but it really happens) or a purple rash (more like bruising / blood blisters) those are trouble signs.

Its just hard to know whats a normal side effect and whats a sign of excessive sensitivity or an allergy. The headache may be a sign its not normal for you. Plus feeling sick, plus being irritable. Don't freak out, but keep your eyes a bit open. Maybe "one more day" will show you.

I got the "skin bruising" and my sleep dropped really sharply (but I wasn't tired). Plus I was a bit hyper emotionally. But this stuff started for me at a lower dose than you. Not one of them was a worry to me, individually, till that "blood blistering" occurred a few weeks later.
The Following User Says Thank You to Howard_C For This Useful Post:
edbones (11-13-08)
Old 11-13-08, 02:34 PM
Jr Member

today seems a bit better, but i don't think this med is for me.

i just renewed my license, and once i was finished, i sat in my car for ten mins for no reason. just zoned out.

and the subtle headache is starting to **** me off too.

my coworker sung the praises of adderallxr to me earlier, i think im going to see what my doc thinks of a change.

i tried to call him yesterday and today regarding all this and am getting no response, its frustrating.
Old 11-13-08, 04:30 PM
Jr Member

just got in touch with his office, gonna see him monday.

may not touch this stuff till then.
Old 11-13-08, 05:35 PM

Carissa is on a distinguished road

First of all I want to say that I am so sorry this happened to you. After the bit of clarity you experienced. What a drag to feel so bad

That family of drugs doesn't agree with me either.

Please DO ask your Dr. for Adderall XR or the non extended release generic equivalant if money is an issue. (AdderallXR is a bit pricey)
Adderall changed my life Great stuff! It got rid of my "Little black cloud"

My advice for you now is to take a day off of the concerta, and try 1/2 the dose the day after that. See how you feel.

Drink a lot of water! Stimulants can make you forget to drink water.
Make sure you eat at least some toast in the morning. and eat throughout the day.

And no alcohol! mixed with stimulants it can make you feel really gross. And worsen your side effects dreadfully- (even just one drink can ruin you for the day or entire evening)

Good luck to you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Carissa For This Useful Post:
edbones (11-13-08)
Old 11-13-08, 06:09 PM
Jr Member

thank you very much miss, i appreciate your sympathy.

what that day of clarity did though, was show me that i could be happy, that it was possible, which is enough for me.

just dont think its the right med.

is it weird to ask for a particular drug?

it feels kinda sneaky to me for some reason, even though i know i cant take this concerta.
Old 11-14-08, 10:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,080 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Ed,

Let me just share a crucial piece of information when it comes to these meds. Almost all of them have side effects for the first few weeks. The body is not a car where you dump oil and it spreads throughout the system in a predictable path and everything else stays still.

The body is an ecosystem. When we get exposed to bacteria, the body manufactures its own antibacterial forces ... When we get exposed to HIV, we create HIV antibodies. (That's how HIV is found in tests--they tests for the reaction, the presence of the HIV antibodies.) So now, you have introduced this new substance (medicine) to your body, your body is reacting ... right now, as we speak, it's working to make the adjustments so the bad side effects decline.

So to react to a new medicine as if you can know this medicine isn't for you after 3 days--I fear you're jumping the gun.

I would ask the doc to go down to 18mg first before asking to come off of it ... There is no such thing as "adderall" or any other of the meds being "better" than the others. That's the bad news. But ... it may be better for you. Each individual's body is different.

So I would say stick it out on concerta (ask for a lower dose maybe and see what the side effects are in the next weeks) .....

By the way, I can connect with your feelings on day 1 on the med. I felt that on wellbutrin xl. unfortunately it did not last (as my body adjusted and the med decreased in effectiveness). So that's a good thing to keep in mind--the way you felt ... at the same time, these meds are not miracle cures for adhd. Sorry .... for the vast majority of us, they can help, sometimes help tremendously ... they don't overnight change our lives from bad to good.

You can try adderall or vyvanse later, but if those don't work all that well, you might end up having to return to concerta ... so you might as well tinker with the concerta dose right now, to make sure you can get it at its optimal level ....

anyway, good luck!
Old 11-16-08, 10:27 AM
ADDvanced Member

patboul has a spectacular aura aboutpatboul has a spectacular aura about

Like you, the first days for me where "wow!!, I am alive!!!". Then some side effects.... It took 2 weeks before the side effects stop. Then the doctor increase the dose to 36 mg, and I got another 2 weeks of side effects... That was 8 months ago. I am now at 54 mg, no side effects, with all the advertise benefit of the drug. Look like that drug is good for me.

Now for you, it may or me not be good. Just be patient, pay attention to the side effects, talk to your doctor if you think something is wrong.

Take care of yourself.