ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 11-16-08, 12:30 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

WarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the rough
How do I split an XR capsule?

Doc prescribed me 20mg XR capsules some time ago. They didn't really work, but weren't bad for me (in terms of side-effects). Probably because I had been on Vyvanse just prior to that. Taking 2 of them was too much, though.

They didn't work, so I got prescribed Wellbutrin. I've been on that for a while. Doc said I could try taking some Adderall with it to see if it helps. 2 weeks ago I think I took a pill after having been off of it for a few weeks and it was horrible. The next day was equally as bad. I wanted to only take 10mg, but couldn't split the capsule. I poured it into some water, and half of the granules floated and the other half sank and none of it mixed with the water, so it was impossible to get half of it. The doc wanted to prescribe something smaller, but since I have 100 or so of these 20mg pills, I just said I'd split it and only take half. He said okay, even though he told me it would be kind of difficult.

I haven't taken any Adderall since then, which was like 2 weeks ago. But after today (really bad ADD day) I'm willing to try it again, but I would rather take 5mg instead of you know, 20mg. Doctor's appointment won't be until after Thanksgiving I think, so that's a while away. I could go back and ask for a prescription for something smaller, explaining why, but that seems like a waste of time and money. I don't want to buy another 30 or so 5mg capsules only to find out that they don't work either. Whereas I already have these, so I'd rather just see if a smaller dose would work.

ANYWAY, does anybody have a good method for only taking part of the capsule? Doc said some applesauce or something, which I'd be willing to try. Do the granules taste really bad?
Old 11-16-08, 12:53 AM
Contributor

Johnny123 will become famous soon enough
Re: How do I split an XR capsule?

It'll be fine for you attempting to measure out half of the capsule like that. The granules are bitter You wont taste much if you down the water fast. It's not all that horrible though.
Old 11-16-08, 01:35 AM

Jacob S is on a distinguished road

Here is the way I split my XR capsules. With dry hands grab the pill and carefully twist the capsule and pull so that the top comes off. Hold the two half's of the pill up to the light and slowly pour the full half into the empty half until the beads are close to equal. Tilt your head back and dump one half down your throat and take a drink of water. Put the pill back together and you have another half pill ready to go.
The beads usually go down pretty well by themselves, but you will find the occasional one in your mouth.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacob S For This Useful Post:
Magsmoll (01-14-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-08, 01:44 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

WarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny123 View Post
It'll be fine for you attempting to measure out half of the capsule like that. The granules are bitter You wont taste much if you down the water fast. It's not all that horrible though.
Well that's the thing, I can't do that. When I pour it into water, half the beads float and half drop to the bottom. Those are the delayed release and instant release. Ideally I would have half of each. If I take only the ones that float, for example, then I'm getting 10mg of regular Adderall, released either now or in 4 or so hours.
Old 11-16-08, 05:24 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,111 Times in 2,415 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Tip it in some honey or something else sticky. It wont mess with the absorbtion.
Quantum physics points out that the study of the universe and the study of consciousness are inseparably linked, and that ultimate progress in the one will be impossible without progress in the other. The discovery of the quantum nature of our universe can literally transform the course of human history.
Paul Levy

Old 11-18-08, 08:39 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,475 Times in 750 Posts
SuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob S View Post
Here is the way I split my XR capsules. With dry hands grab the pill and carefully twist the capsule and pull so that the top comes off. Hold the two half's of the pill up to the light and slowly pour the full half into the empty half until the beads are close to equal. Tilt your head back and dump one half down your throat and take a drink of water. Put the pill back together and you have another half pill ready to go.
The beads usually go down pretty well by themselves, but you will find the occasional one in your mouth.

that's exactly how I did it, when I was on 45 mlgrms.

Syd Barrett