ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 11-20-08, 05:03 AM

icee411 is on a distinguished road
Red face Periactin as an Appetite Stimulant?

The story:

I was diagnosed on October 20th and put on 15mg Adderall 2x/day. Within three weeks, I had lost about 8 lbs...which wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't 102 lbs to begin with. So I completely agreed I should try something else (even though the Adderall was perfect for me). I wasn't so willing when she was giving me 54mg Concerta with 10mg Ritalin in the evening. I have heard little good about them in terms of users' experiences. But of course, everyone is different so I figured I'd give it a try. The first night was decent, the second day I was crying over everything and nothing, and the third day I was seeing trails off my own hands (the cars' tail lights at night were amazing though, lol). But I'm not being treated so I can trip all day; I'm being treated so I can accomplish things (not to mention my job is to type all day, and if you've ever tried using the computer while tripping, you understand why that wouldn't work). So I decided I needed to consider what other efforts could be made to help me gain/maintain weight on Adderall (forcing myself to eat was NOT working). I made an appointment with a nutritionist, to make my three meals a day (between dosing) the best meals, rather than cereal and sandwiches, and an occasional TV dinner (I'm in college...). My roommate's father, an ICU RN, told me about Marinol*, a THC-based pill that gives you the munchies. I did my research (I research -everything-) and loved what I found. I presented the idea to my doctor who said absolutely not because she knows nothing about it (I literally wrote a paper to her ahead of time telling her what it is, lol), but that she could give me something that she doesn't give often: Periactin. She told me it's actually an antihistamine but is commonly used as an appetite stimulant. She has given it to patients who are losing weight but need to stay on stimulants, such as myself. So I was put back on Adderall (37.5mg/day because I study all night) with Periactin (4mg/night) to hopefully make me stay hungry.

I came home and did more research on Periactin (cyproheptadine) and found that it has a number of uses too. It is FDA approved for allergy symptoms but is often used for unwanted weight loss (such as in anorexic people, which I am definitely not. I absolutely love food!). It also helps migraines, SSRI-caused sexual dysfunction (I'm not on any yet but I will be starting some type of anti-anxiety on 12/5), and serotonin syndrome (I was familiar of this term due to my psych minor/research). Oh and since it's an antihistamine, sleep will be much easier. My psychiatrist said it can take about a week for the appetite stimulant to kick in. Tonight is my first night starting it.

The Question:

Has anyone had any personal experiences with Periactin (cyproheptadine)?

I've got a good grip on the medical side of things but I like to hear what others experienced too. I was surprised to do a search on here and find but a few posts here and there (same with the Marinol).

One More Note:

The psychiatrist also suggested to get "that Carnation stuff" (she was in a hurry) and mix it with whole milk "to make it double the strength" when you eat a bowl of cereal or anything. She also said to have a bowl of ice cream at night and eat lots of peanut butter. I'm excited to see what the nutritionist will have to say!

Anyway, thanks for the help/comments!

*Marinol: I could go on forever about what I've read about this. It seems to be a cure-all for a large majority of those who have tried it -- from people who can't sleep to cancer patients. I personally am an advocate of responsible marijuana use (it gives me the munchies AND helps me sleep. I'd go crazy without it!), so I'm sure I'm more excited about it than most, but it really does seem like something worth trying if other efforts have been exhausted. -- Dronabinol (Brand Name: MARINOL).
The Following User Says Thank You to icee411 For This Useful Post:
stylus (06-26-11)
Old 11-20-08, 07:47 AM

Gnarmouse is on a distinguished road
Re: Periactin as an Appetite Stimulant?

I'd love to see how you progress on this stuff!I'm really skinny, 117 to 115 on bad days probably gonna drop back to 105 since I just started taking adderall..
I have a hard time keeping weight on as it is and my appetite is non-existent on the pills.I support Marijuana, I've used it a couple times and with the exceptions of where I've smoked way too much I love getting the munchies because it makes me love food!

I have to go back on the 12th for a follow-up on the medication, I'm gonna mention
the Merinol and the Periactin and see what my doc says.Keep us updated on your progress!
Old 06-04-10, 04:17 AM

edftz is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Periactin as an Appetite Stimulant?

i used periactin back in my mid 20's it worked great for me i used to be very under weight like 120-125 male 5-11 i never would feel hungry and when i did get hungry i would eat maybe two bites and feel full after taken periactin for about 90 days one pill a day i gained 50 pounds the first dose i think was 30 pills take one a day didn't work very well but then i started to notice it working when i started a routine of eating cereal with milk every morning same time every day and take a pill one hour before lunch every day same time i don't know why but when i ate creal and milk for breakfeast it made me more hungry my advise for any one using periactin to gain weight is to stick to a routine and take the pill at the same time every day and just eat eat eat when and if it makes you feel hungry for example right after dinner i would eat a pint of ice cream and get the good stuff like hagen daz ice cream so good luck to every body.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-12, 03:28 PM

whaddyacallit is on a distinguished road

Just wondered if there's any new feedback on using Periactin as an appetite stimulant?
Old 12-30-12, 08:46 PM

ASOTranceAddict is on a distinguished road

Yea I take Marinol and it is awesome.