ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 11-20-08, 10:59 PM

Ly28 is on a distinguished road
Wink Cost of Adderall IR vs XL...Help!!

I was recently prescribed Adderall XL by my psychiatrist for my ADD. Unfortunately my lousy student medical plan only covers $25 of each perscription. This is not very helpful since Adderall XL costs $200. I am currently shopping around for supplemental health insurance to help with the cost of the medication. I had an idea that maybe Adderall IR would be a little more cost effective. Can anyone tell me how much their Adderall IR costs? I know that the cost differs with dosage, etc., but I am just looking for some figures to compare with the Adderall XR cost. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!!!
Old 11-21-08, 01:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

johnnyx will become famous soon enough
Re: Cost of Adderall IR vs XL...Help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ly28 View Post
I was recently prescribed Adderall XL by my psychiatrist for my ADD. Unfortunately my lousy student medical plan only covers $25 of each perscription. This is not very helpful since Adderall XL costs $200. I am currently shopping around for supplemental health insurance to help with the cost of the medication. I had an idea that maybe Adderall IR would be a little more cost effective. Can anyone tell me how much their Adderall IR costs? I know that the cost differs with dosage, etc., but I am just looking for some figures to compare with the Adderall XR cost. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!!!
You can get it real cheap at Costco. I checked Wal Mart, Sams Club, CVS and Costco is by far the cheapest for Adderall IR.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnyx For This Useful Post:
Ly28 (11-23-08)
Old 11-21-08, 01:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

Tominal will become famous soon enough

My wife takes a generic of Adderall IR ( Barr's "Mixed Amphetamine Salts), and it's very cheap. I don't know the exact cost, but it's not much and it works very well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tominal For This Useful Post:
Ly28 (11-23-08)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-08, 03:02 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Captain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the rough

It's 50 cents per pill, doesn't depend on dose.
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Sanity For This Useful Post:
Ly28 (11-23-08)
Old 11-21-08, 04:31 PM

keladry will become famous soon enough

I feel you on the broke college student thing

I had been on 30mg XR and 10mg IR but, for cost reasons, switched to all IR and filled the first prescription today. I have no insurance, and the 30/10 combo cost me $159 at Costco last month, though it was $145 every month before that. Most of the cost was the XR, and the IR portion was less than $20. Today's all IR prescription for 60 20mg pills cost me $27 at Costco.

Their pharmacy doesn't require you be a member of the warehouse, though they do scan my card and I don't know if that provides an additional discount.

Now that I'm doing all generic, I'd thought about going to the Walgreens near my house but decided against it. I'd made that mistake once before when I put off dropping off a prescription and needed somewhere 24-hours and it cost me an extra 35 bucks, part of that was XR, but the cost of the IR increased too. Also, I discovered (as has been discussed to death in other threads) that as far as the generic brands go, I really dislike Corepharma. Costco uses Barr.

I put together a spreadsheet when I was initially shopping around for the cheapest pharmacy for the combined prescription, though I think I lost the file in a computer crash. At any rate, a small local pharmacy was my second cheapest IR find, and for the combined IR/XR prescription I remember it was Sam's Club (where you may also use the pharmacy without a membership), Target, Walmart, Kroger, and then the big drugstores as the most expensive. That being said, beyond Costco and the local place, I don't remember the exact IR prices, only XR.

No matter where you end up, $25 per prescription should probably cover all or most of it, and if your doctor's willing, talk to him or her about prescribing fewer pills at larger doses. I've found several pharmacies charge the same amount for 10 and 20mg generics. For my 40mg/day, it costs half as much to split a 40mg pill in half as it would to swallow a 10mg pill whole.
The Following User Says Thank You to keladry For This Useful Post:
Ly28 (11-23-08)
Old 11-23-08, 10:41 PM

Ly28 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone!! I found the cheapest price at Costco; significantly so. It's funny because after all of the drama I went through to find the best price I ended up choosing not to take the meds after all. I feel like I haven't given the other tools such as therapy and organization programs enough of a shot. Thanks again!!!