ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 11-24-08, 12:18 AM

seeeker is on a distinguished road
Ok to combine Adderall and Celexa?

Basically that sums it up.

I used to take 10-20mgs/day of Citalopram (Celexa). This was helpful but for various reasons I discontinued, and I still have some left over.

I am now on 10-20 mgs/day of generic Adderall. The Adderall is really helping with certain things but I am still depressed and anxious and would like to add the Citalopram back on. Obviously I should consult my doctor but honestly I am pretty tired of explaining and managing everything all over again.

Is it ok to combine these two?

thx.
Old 11-24-08, 12:50 AM
Contributor

amu_d is on a distinguished road
Re: Ok to combine Adderall and Celexa?

Many doctors allow their patients to manage their own medication if they have prescribed it already. You should inform your doctor about what you're doing.

It's okay to combine an SSRI with a stimulant (under supervision). It's a common combo and has minimal risks despite what many websites state. The combo is very safe and is frequently prescribed by licensed psychiatrists across the nation.
The Following User Says Thank You to amu_d For This Useful Post:
Abi (03-20-12)
Old 11-24-08, 01:02 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,016 Times in 671 Posts
pADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to all

when I was taking adderall my pdoc was hesitant to prescribe that combo for me, she said could cause cardiac problems
she started me on 10mg celexa, my adderall was 60mg per day 20/20/20,
after one week I could barely make it up a the stairs at work without gasping for breath, cp,
no more for me
ritalin and celexa very good
this is only my experience hope it helps
Old 11-24-08, 05:54 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

am on that combo for same reasons as you....i have mix of ADD/GAD, the Adderall was only taking care of ADD but not GAD, so now on Lexapro for GAD and is all good....except Adderall seems to have lost some effectiveness

no cardiac problems here and I exercise weight training 3-4 times week no problem
Old 11-24-08, 03:46 PM

seeeker is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. Seems ok on a low dosage like mine. I started last night and can feel the headaches from Celexa coming on - it'll probably be just side-effects piled on top of side- effects.

I wonder if the increased libido from Adderall will trump the loss of libido from the SSRI. That would be nice.
Old 11-24-08, 06:41 PM

keladry will become famous soon enough

It's generally considered safe, but I'm one of the few who can't do it. In rare cases (very rare) combining Adderall with another drug that acts on Serotonin can cause Serotonin Syndrome, a potentially fatal poisoning.

Lexapro (similar to Celexa) plus Adderall is toxic to me, and the experience is one I'll never forget. Make sure you talk to your doctor, and watch out for any side effects you're not used to from having taken Celexa in the past/taking Adderall now.
Old 03-20-12, 09:11 PM

Hotshot007 is on a distinguished road

I dont know..for me it was really bad. I thought the adderall was causing these incredible side effects but once I stopped taking the celexa it stopped in a day. This may be graphic but I was having semen involuntarily come out whenever i exerted energy, I felt crazy, stomach turning, then when I finally freaked was when my tongue turned white on the surface and was dead skin..GROSS. I stopped the celexa and day after all symptoms stopped and havent re appeared.
Old 03-20-12, 09:15 PM
Social Committee Moderator

Thanked 14,276 Times in 7,142 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by amu_d View Post
Many doctors allow their patients to manage their own medication if they have prescribed it already. You should inform your doctor about what you're doing.

It's okay to combine an SSRI with a stimulant (under supervision). It's a common combo and has minimal risks despite what many websites state. The combo is very safe and is frequently prescribed by licensed psychiatrists across the nation.
This.

I have, for example, taken Ritalin and Lexapro (similar to Celexa) safely in combination in the past.

Half this forum takes a stim + SSRI.

[S]pain may have possession of the ball, but we [D]utchies have possession of illegal substances - Sarek

I can't tell [Willem Dafoe] from David Archuleta - Sarek

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 03-20-12, 09:18 PM
Social Committee Moderator

Thanked 14,276 Times in 7,142 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Adderall has minimal impact on Serotonin levels, it affects primarly Dopamin and Norepinephrine.

[S]pain may have possession of the ball, but we [D]utchies have possession of illegal substances - Sarek

I can't tell [Willem Dafoe] from David Archuleta - Sarek

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 03-20-12, 11:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

Yeah take it if u want your stimulant to suck

"The Focalin King"
Old 04-01-12, 04:50 AM
ADDvanced Member

The Absent Mind will become famous soon enough

I've taken Lexapro and some form of stimulant for a while. I think I read that Lexapro is the effective half of the molecule that makes up Celexa. Something like that anyway.

I personally think Lexapro has been a godsend as it helped tremendously with my anxiety. For instance, I have felt very little in the way of stimulant "crash" ever, whether taking Adderall, Dexedrine, Vyvanse, Concerta, etc.

I've read it can mess with your heart rhythms or something however; so you may get some sort of false "arrhythmia" reading with an ECG. Not sure about the particulars of that though.
Old 10-07-12, 11:24 PM

DyClay22 is on a distinguished road

I have been on Celexa 20mg for over 6 months, tried adderall (XR and instant) earlier in my college career and they worked like magic. Recently was diagnosed with ADD and went on ritalin.. no effect, just not hungry and felt like ****, then went on 30 mg adderall and I could literally take 100mg and not be one bit focused... I'm getting off Celexa NOW.
Old 01-30-14, 12:24 PM

kkester9764 is on a distinguished road

The experience I had with it was absolutely horrible. I took both at the same time with 20 mg doses, and it screwed me up when I tried to sleep, even though I took it in the morning. I think I was awake for 6 hours?