ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 11-25-08, 10:33 PM

IeatPlydoh is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse and Wellbutrin

I have read a couple of post with people taking the same med's and I was wondering if they ran in to the same issue I have now. I started Vyvance and Wellbutrin about 2 weeks ago. I started out with 30 mgs Vyvanse and 150mgs Wellbutrin. The Frist Day I loved it and thought I found the magic Bullet.. It did drop off in the late afternoon, so after a couple of days taking the 30/150 mix, it was moved to 60/150. I was extermly happy with the results, my wife commented that she noticed a big differnce with my facial expressions, She said "I looked alot happier" which I was. My motivation was fantasic. We then increased the Welbutrin to 300 mgs. after 3 days on the 60/300 mix, I started to feel tired at 10am even after taking the vyvanse. I felt I could crawl under the table and sleep for the next couple of hours. I talked with my Dr about this and we brought the Welburtin back down to 150mgs and keeping the vyvanse at 60mgs. I'm not sure why the mix affected me this way, it seemd like the welbutrin over powered the vyvanse. Now I'm not really sure if the affect I had, when I first Started the medication was really the medication, or my mind saying, HEY this is going to make you feel great, and thats how I felt. Now I'm not sure what to think about the meds. Will the welbutrin levels go back down so I get the affect of Vyvanse again? If so how long will that take? I kind of feel like I had a bad joke played on me. Congrads you have just won a new life!! O wait, sorry wrong person. I'm waiting to see how this works in the next couple of weeks, I'm just hoping I get the results I had when I first started.
Old 11-26-08, 11:05 PM
Contributor

penguin has a spectacular aura aboutpenguin has a spectacular aura about
Re: Vyvanse and Wellbutrin

Hi,
I split a 150mg SR bupropion generic and take 20 mg Vyv in morninng and take the other half of the Wellb in the afternoon along with the last 10mg Vyv. I take a few days a week off on the Vyv each week to cut down on getting on the rising dose elevator. 4 Months and counting. So far so good.
I cannot take 300 Wellb a day unless I want to kiss my memory goodby. I stutter like Porky Pig. Been on the Wellb for a year now.
Good luck...Ken
Old 11-26-08, 11:44 PM

I did not take the wellbutrin today and was not nearly as tired. I was at least functioning. I did a little more research and found the artical http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactio...xl_d00181.html

I'm planing on not taking the Wellbutrin for the next couple of days, and see how it gos. Once I'm back to normal, I will start again with 150 Mgs and see if I run in to the same problem again.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-08, 12:45 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Howard_C is a name known to allHoward_C is a name known to allHoward_C is a name known to allHoward_C is a name known to allHoward_C is a name known to allHoward_C is a name known to all

The jump from 150mg/day to 300mg/day is a pretty big escalation (IMHO). Some people mange it, but many are thrown for a loop one way or another.

The med itself doesn't agree with everyone, but the quick escalation seems difficult even for those who respond favorably.

I did one month at 100mg SR (once per day) and have had a few weeks at 150mg SR (once per day). I may go to 200mg (per day) at some point, but I don't see the wisdom in starting at 150mg and then hitting 300mg after just a few days. It makes for a bumpy ride. I would not do that myself, because I wanted to see if I could find the best results at the lowest dose.

Watch out for unusual moods or flashes of anger (they call it "irritability" but it can be more sever than that). I haven't had that after the third week.

Some may get hit badly with insomnia (or tiredness, in your case). There are other side effects that if present may preclude you form continuing (joint pain, digestive issues, back pain). I think these persistent side effects indicate an intolerance or an over sensitivity - so really it may not be a sustainable treatment in that case.

The other problem that may arise is increased anxiety. It seems that's a factor more if anxiety was pre-existing. (I had anxiety, but I think it was almost 100% the resut if the ADD itself).

I'm very happy with the drug, personally. But I don't think most Drs. advise their patients that they may experience unusual side-effects. Keep us posted as you go along (like every few weeks), as its helpful for others. Good luck.
Old 11-27-08, 02:25 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

WarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the rough

It's weird that a doctor would prescribe two drugs at once. I would think it would be better to check one at a time, to see which one works and which one doesn't.

I took 150mg for I think 2 weeks, then jumped to 300mg for another 3 or so weeks I believe and now I'm at 450mg, which is the maximum the doc says is allowed. It's because like it states in the article, too big of a dose has a much bigger chance of causing seizures. That's why the drug was taken off the markets in the 80's I believe. Now they settled on safe dosages, so it's back.

The drug does a bit for my focus, and almost entirely takes away my depression. Although it seems to be creeping back now that I know that I have ADD, see the symptoms, and can't really do anything about it for now.

Still, it's pretty good.
The Following User Says Thank You to WarPhalange For This Useful Post:
E4rolls (01-04-09)
Old 12-06-08, 01:11 PM

Well I stopped the Welbutrin for a week and was still tired after 2 hours from taking the Vyvanse. I belive the issue is Vyvanse that is making me tired and really not doing much for my motivation or attention. Yesterday I decided to try 90 mgs ( normal is 60mgs ) still really did not do much for me. I had a head ache in the early evening but I beleive that was from not eating anything after Breakfast. once I ate dinner I no longer had the headache. Its interesting that the first 1.5 on the vyvanse it did great. It was exactly what I needed, after that week and a half it started to have the opposite affect on me. Making me tired, sometime's I had to fight myself from falling asleep at traffic lights. I have decided to stop taking the Vyvanse in till my next Dr appt. in 2 weeks. I'm not sure if I should ask about trying adderall? Wondering since Vyvance is making me tired and it is pretty close to adderall, am I going to get the same affect from adderall?
Old 12-06-08, 07:45 PM
Jr Member

57Mutt is on a distinguished road

i have been on wellbutin 150 xl for a few months and recently diagnosed with ADD. started on focalin xr which was good and trying vyvanse now just 30 mg today.

the wellbutrin takes a few weeks to kick in, i'm suprised you upped and downed the dose so fast
Old 12-07-08, 01:37 AM
ADDvanced Member

RecruitDir is on a distinguished road

I take Adderall with the WB, and had similar tiredness effects in the begining, but my Dr. felt that the WB raised and sustained the Dopamine too long in the synapses and readujsted the dosage schedule. I'd suggest staying with the SR until you reach the right level and then go with the XL, as there is more play with the SR. Also, you can cut the SR in half (but not the XL). Therefore, you might want to start with 75mgs, week one; 150mgs, week two; 225mgs, week three; then 300mgs, week four. If you can sustain this level for a month and find it is benficial - then the 300mgs XL would be a good option for convienence. If you are finding it is the AMP that is making you tired, perhaps try WB as your baseline ADHD med (only once you have determined your theraputic dose). There are studies that state its effectiveness on-par with Ritilan. However, I feel that it is only effective soley 50% of the time (the other 50% of viable candidates could benefit with the med as an adjunct ADHD medicine, combined with a lower dose of a stim , but you might be one of the ~50%. But you could be one of the 50% it provides sufficent theraputic relief to. My suggestion would be if you want to continue with the WB and an added dose of AMP/Ritilan, is to take a lower dose of the AMP/Rit as it is easier to build a tolerence for either, verses WB. Also, whatever dopamine the AMP/Rit releases will be held in the synapse longer by the WB - so the effects are potentiated. The key is gaining the focus and motivation the meds bring-on, but reducing negaitive side effects.
Old 12-07-08, 02:38 AM

I had a good result with Vyvanse to start, and I know Welbutrin takes some time to build up. I agree with one of the posts, that I should have started with one medication at a time and make sure that it is doing what it should, then maybe after 6 months, if needed add the second. I know my medication has been bouncing around and has not been consistent, plus the increase in medications in a short time. That is my fault, I was impressed by how well it was working I wanted to try it at what would be my normal dose. so I increased V after 3 days from 30 to 60mgs. I had great results. The Welbutrin, I was put on about 2 years ago by another Dr. I tried about 5 other medications and Welbutrin had, I guess the better of the results. I was not depressed, but I was not happy. I had no motivation and felt like a zombie. After 2 months on the medication I stopped taking it. I decided to continue without medication. After 1.5 years I started to have major issue's again. My new Dr felt that it would be good to go back on WB and the VyVanse would help with the motivation side of it. I'm looking at taking the next 2 weeks off from both medications and let my body get back to the normal state and restart just one of the meds and slowly increase if needed. I guess I was just so frustrated with how I felt, I wanted to get the results NOW!!
The Following User Says Thank You to IeatPlydoh For This Useful Post:
Magsmoll (01-27-10)
Old 12-07-08, 06:22 PM
Jr Member

57Mutt is on a distinguished road

depression and anxiety are evil twins separated at birth...(IMHO)

anti-anxiety and anti-depression meds that are SSRI type take at least one month, although you might feel better after a couple of weeks.

wellbutrin does little if anything for me, but i am also on lexapro...now t-h-a-t one was hard to wean on even at micro doses, but that was my first experience with an ssri. it has done well for me (GAD).

my next P doc appt i'll discuss going off the wellbutrin and just stay on the lex and whatever ADD med works best with me...vyvanse so far but only second say of that 50mg.
Old 01-01-09, 01:26 PM

I thought I would update my post. I have been off the Wilburton since my last post; I also stopped the Vyvanse in till I spoke with my DR. I was off all med's for about 2 weeks. I restarted V at 30 mgs a day for 1 week and then moved it backup to 60 mgs a day. I have not had one issue since. My focus and concentration has been great. I have been able to accomplish a lot of things I have been putting off and have completed my Microsoft certifications for 2008 and also completed another vendor certification. I have also noticed my mind is now working with me instead of against me. I'm able to think through problems more clearly, and have more organized thoughts. A couple of things I have noticed are, I will get into something and will completely forget about the time. I have also, or my wife as noticed a little irritability in the evening, nothing major but it does show up once in a while. Other than those just a little dry mouth, once in a while a small headache. I can live with those if I have these results on the medication. We may look at a different Anti-depressant after a couple of months, but if I'm fine with just this one Med, then there should be no need to add a second. Thanks to everyone for their input on my issue. I hope everyone has a Happy and Safe new years!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IeatPlydoh For This Useful Post:
Magsmoll (01-27-10), TXMockingbird (10-10-11)
Old 01-02-09, 12:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

IeatPlydoh

It seems like your analysis is a common one found in those with adhd . First off your ability to analyze what medication and what dosage is contributing to your physical symptoms of tiredness, or not being able to focus is most likely invalid. That is that analyzing the situation with your adhd symptoms not in control is not very likely to give you a proper solution to the equation that your trying to solve. Obviously, you have been on wellbutrin and have some experience with the medication in the past so intrinsically you have some gut expectations of how your body will react to the medication. If in the past without the addition of other meds with wellbutrin alone that you felt "like a zombie" then this perhaps is not your med of choice. I'd go back on the vyvanse and start at the starting dosage with nothing else and judge your results for a solid month , maybe two after you've experimenting with raising or lowering your dosage and then decide to add wellbutrin . You'll understand better this way instead of over thinking if the wellbutrin is affecting the vyvanse or not..
The Following User Says Thank You to hollywood For This Useful Post:
E4rolls (01-04-09)
Old 01-04-09, 01:17 AM
Contributor

bobC has a spectacular aura aboutbobC has a spectacular aura about

When you felt fatigued from the combo did you have a dry mouth side effect or constipation?

NE has a strong feedback mechinism increasing it too much/too fast actually increases NE reuptake + decreases NE levels.

BobC
Old 01-04-09, 02:30 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

bobc-

well obviously when you increase ne reuptake you probably get a dip in ne production levels, but where does dry mouth set into this equation? Fight or flight response ?
Old 01-04-09, 10:39 AM
ADDvanced Member

E4rolls will become famous soon enough

At one time I was on Adderall XR 30mg + 30mg IR a day + Effexor Xr and I asked to change to a different AD because of negative sexual side effects.
I was prescribed 150mg Bupropion which replaced Effexor XR and I eventually had my dose up to 300mg Bupropion.
It was cool to have my mojo back but I started having horrible anxiety all the time like GAD or something.

I did'nt get sleepy on Wellbutrin even after discontinuing Adderall XR.
Bupropion works on serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine which I would think would classify it as a tricyclic AD.
I have never had any good results with tricyclic AD's (I've been on Tofranil before with Lithium and had horrible mood swings/crying uncontrollably/suicidal ideations).

IDK where I am going with this except to say maybe the Bupropion is the problem? I have been on Effexor before so I asked to switch from Citalopram (Celexa) because I knew that the SSRI was making me tired and Effexor XR (SNRI) would be more "activating"

I was right to switch back to Effexor XR because at 300mg I am much more focused and alert with hardly any depression and less anxiety (I can't even make myself depressed if I try to think about my problems, weird?).
But, the mojo is gone again, bummer dude!

Supplements: 1000mg Omega-3, multivitamin

Diagnosed: ADHD combined, Bipolar I with mania and psychotic features, SAD (Social Phobia)

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."-Anonymous