ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-08, 11:41 AM
ADDvanced Member

noodlzzz will become famous soon enough
How do they test for ADHD?

I have to go on monday, and am a bit nervous?
Personal experiences?
Old 11-26-08, 12:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

aidy is on a distinguished road
Re: How do they test for ADHD?

the neuropsychologist i went to just took some memory tests with me (like remembering a figure, and drawing it up, remembering patterns of numbers and letters and doing something with them)
that's all pretty useless I guess, but he also asked a lot of questions on what's been bothering me and on ADHD symptoms
sending me the report in a week

i think that every doctor has different methods for this though
Old 11-26-08, 12:40 PM
Forum ADDvocate

sarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of light

I spend about an hour with my psych and social worker, they asked loads of questions(how I was as a child, attention span, restlessness, impulsive, temper, blabla, all that) then they gave me, my mum and my school a questionair to fill in & the results were on this graph, white zone, pink zone, and red zone. I was pretty much all in the red zone, indicating I had ADHD. I was then diagnosed. So, there we go! lol

I am who I am, and sweetie, your approval isn't needed, no matter how much you think it is!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-08, 01:17 PM

Stopdropnroll is on a distinguished road

My experience was I asked the phycologist to test me.. he asked me a series of questions as above.. I answered , he assigned point values, I needed 75 or better of 100, I got 93.

all very painless.
Old 11-26-08, 01:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,366 Times in 3,275 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

How do they test for ADHD

Good question. I just did a post on this subject this morning.

Rather than repost it here is the location:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...64&postcount=5

Start on the bottom of page 18 in the Barkley transcript and you can learn a lot about
assessment for ADHD.

Barkley is considered by most as the top man in the field on ADHD. Although written in
2000, the data is still current especially on assessments.

Good luck

Dizfriz
Old 11-26-08, 01:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,366 Times in 3,275 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizfriz View Post

Start on the bottom of page 18 in the Barkley transcript and you can learn a lot about
assessment for ADHD.

Oops, should be page 8.

Sorry about that.

Dizfriz
Old 11-26-08, 02:17 PM

ms ladybug is on a distinguished road

For me, the psychologist used the Conner's test. Which was a computer test. It had letters that flash on the screen. Everytime I saw a letter I had to press the space key, unless it was the letter x. Sometimes the letter flashed really fast, other times slowly. It tested my impulsiveness.

He also did a little interview with me. Honestly, I wasn't even there testing for ADD, and I had no idea that was even a possibility. When I asked him about the computer test, he told me it was a test for ADD, and I laughed, because "I don't have ADD!" Who's laughing now?
Old 11-26-08, 04:46 PM

babycatcher will become famous soon enough

Just to add to Difriz's post, as you (noodlzzz) and I are in the UK it is possible that your assessor may not use DSM IV and will use ICD-10 or refer to ADHD as hyperkinetic disorder instead. We were asked lots of questions and our son was observed whilst we we answering. I did ask about teacher questionnaire's and observation but the pychiatrist said this was not necessary as it would not change his diagnosis. I suppose that the assessment will be different for an adult as well.

Good luck with it.