ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 11-29-08, 04:09 AM

Kill__Joy is on a distinguished road
Adderall Making Acid Reflux Worse?

I have acid reflux disease and the adderall seems to REALLY be aggravating it, it blows. Is this typical and can anyone relate? Im probably gonna end up sleeping in the recliner tonight=/.
Old 11-29-08, 02:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

kimmyh51 will become famous soon enough
Re: Adderall Making Acid Reflux Worse?

Ah-Ha! Im not imagining it!!!

I had REALLY BAD reflux (GERD) which was successfully treated with a Watson fundoplication last year(thoroughly recommend that if you hav very bad reflux and need the max dose of ppi's constantly)

I started on deamphetamine recently - whcih as you may know is similar to adderal in that its amphetamine

and i have had a sudden increase in reflux to the extent I think Im going to need a script for losec (called prilosec in the us i think) which I havent needed since the op

So yeah I am wondering if its the amphetamine

I'd be interested to know how long adderal lasts for you? as I was on ritalin and it didnt last long at all (which is why Im now on the dex). I've read that the stims last longer in your system if your stomach and urile are alkaline... and wonder if that means that, conversely - if your stomach for example is more acidic than normal, whether you break down medications faster (I've always found any dose related meds like pain killers, sedation at the dentist, etc, and now adhd meds, dont last that long for me, and the painkillers etc would never ever give me pain relief even close to the 4-6 hrs the packs said....

If adderal is working well for you apart from the acid you could try taking losec or similar

otherwise try ritalin. It wasnt for me cos it made me depressed and didnt last long but that doesnt mean it wont work for you......it didnt give me acid like the dex does. So if the ritalin was as good for my adhd as the dex Id take the ritalin for that reason.

Personally I will prb stick with the dex and get some losec as the dex works well for my adhd and lasts longer, and that for me outweights the small increase in acid, which I know I can control with losec or zantac.

How much adderal are you on, out of curiousity and are you taking any anti reflux meds at the moment?
Old 11-29-08, 02:48 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Captain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the rough

Eat more fruits and veggies, especially apples. Don't take it late at night.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-08, 07:30 AM

anachronism is on a distinguished road

Wow... it did the exact opposite for me - probably because I wasn't eating as much. I've been on and off Adderall XR for a while, and whenever I go off of it the acid reflux comes back with a vengeance.
Old 11-30-08, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmyh51 View Post
Ah-Ha! Im not imagining it!!!

I had REALLY BAD reflux (GERD) which was successfully treated with a Watson fundoplication last year(thoroughly recommend that if you hav very bad reflux and need the max dose of ppi's constantly)

I started on deamphetamine recently - whcih as you may know is similar to adderal in that its amphetamine

and i have had a sudden increase in reflux to the extent I think Im going to need a script for losec (called prilosec in the us i think) which I havent needed since the op

So yeah I am wondering if its the amphetamine

I think it is the amphetamine. My reflux was pretty well under control aside from my constant LPR symptoms. As soon as I took adderall I got everything back, burning, tight chest, feeling like theres an elephant sitting on my chest, shortness of breath, etc. My throat looks worse now too, it already looked bad but now its worse. But since my body has adjusted to the adderall it hasnt been AS bad. When I first started adderall and got all those symptoms, they would all disappear when it wore off.

I'd be interested to know how long adderal lasts for you? as I was on ritalin and it didnt last long at all (which is why Im now on the dex). I've read that the stims last longer in your system if your stomach and urile are alkaline... and wonder if that means that, conversely - if your stomach for example is more acidic than normal, whether you break down medications faster (I've always found any dose related meds like pain killers, sedation at the dentist, etc, and now adhd meds, dont last that long for me, and the painkillers etc would never ever give me pain relief even close to the 4-6 hrs the packs said....

It seems to last a good while, I would say around 10 hours. I havent been taking it that long, I think Im on my 4th week of taking it. I skipped a couple days but I took it almost an hour ago, today. I was thinking the exact same thing(if i could get my reflux under control then it would work better and longer ect....)

If adderal is working well for you apart from the acid you could try taking losec or similar

otherwise try ritalin. It wasnt for me cos it made me depressed and didnt last long but that doesnt mean it wont work for you......it didnt give me acid like the dex does. So if the ritalin was as good for my adhd as the dex Id take the ritalin for that reason.

Somehow I dont think ritalin would do anything for me, My doc put me on it about 3 years ago and I think I mightve taken a couple pills of it but I dont remember, I think I told my mom it didnt work, who knows. But I really think I NEED an amphetamine, if I dont take my adderall then I cant get out of bed.

Personally I will prb stick with the dex and get some losec as the dex works well for my adhd and lasts longer, and that for me outweights the small increase in acid, which I know I can control with losec or zantac.

I feel the same way.

How much adderal are you on, out of curiousity and are you taking any anti reflux meds at the moment?
Im on 20mg XR daily. Yea Ive been taking prilosec, Ive been wanting to get some nexium but its so damn expensive. We'll see how the prilosec works out. I stopped taking prilosec a long time ago because my reflux had really improved but the first day I took adderall--BAM--allllll of it was back, so now I have to deal with the GERD symptoms and the LPR, uhgg, acid reflux is such a terrible disease=/.
Old 11-30-08, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
Wow... it did the exact opposite for me - probably because I wasn't eating as much. I've been on and off Adderall XR for a while, and whenever I go off of it the acid reflux comes back with a vengeance.
Youre luckkyy
Old 11-30-08, 03:05 PM

Kimmy, how much dex are you on?
Old 12-02-08, 10:00 AM

iisabelle is on a distinguished road

I thought I was nuts but I've been burping like crazy since I started Adderall XR 2 weeks ago, and acid from my stomach comes up my throat when I burp. It's SO ANNOYING I FEEL LIKE I'M GOING CRAZY. I'm a 21 year old girl who is on the thin side and has had no history of any reflux until now. It's getting to the point where I'm constantly burping if I have a medium sized meal and my throat is raw. I can't sleep without a sleeping aid (seroquel) because the burping is so bad and my boyfriend is sleeping on the couch because of my tossing and turning.

I've tried Tums, Rolaids, Ranitidine, etc. I'm going to the doctor today to talk about switching me to dexedrine and putting me on omeprazole because I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE. I am at my wit's end!
The Following User Says Thank You to iisabelle For This Useful Post:
MCate (01-18-10)
Old 12-03-08, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisabelle View Post
I thought I was nuts but I've been burping like crazy since I started Adderall XR 2 weeks ago, and acid from my stomach comes up my throat when I burp. It's SO ANNOYING I FEEL LIKE I'M GOING CRAZY. I'm a 21 year old girl who is on the thin side and has had no history of any reflux until now. It's getting to the point where I'm constantly burping if I have a medium sized meal and my throat is raw. I can't sleep without a sleeping aid (seroquel) because the burping is so bad and my boyfriend is sleeping on the couch because of my tossing and turning.

I've tried Tums, Rolaids, Ranitidine, etc. I'm going to the doctor today to talk about switching me to dexedrine and putting me on omeprazole because I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE. I am at my wit's end!
Sorry to hear that. Are you doing better? Ive been taking 40mg prilosec everyday and the reflux has pretty much went away.
Old 12-04-08, 12:30 AM

iisabelle is on a distinguished road

I take prilosec in the mornings and if I don't restrict my diet I still get it, just not as badly.

If I take the prilosec as well as avoiding large meals, pop, spicy food, etc. it goes away.

I have it right now though because I thought maybe Sprite didn't count since it was clear.
Old 09-23-09, 05:12 AM

M1K3Y is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem. I had always had slight issues with highly acidic foods inducing heartburn and whatnot, but when I started taking dexedrine/adderall (at different points) it was definitely exaggerated.

I took adderall occasionally for months, 2-6 times a month. However, the dexedrine IR (dextrostat) is what I took daily for 2 months which really started major isuses.

I would occasionally take a teaspoon of baking soda with my doses to help the heartburn and simultaneously boost the effects of the amphetamines, but i'm sure that disrupted my ph balance...

After a while it got to the point where I needed to go to the doctor. After a colonoscopy and endoscopy they determined that I had IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and said that I was having severe spasms in my stomach when they were taking a look. Prilosec, Zantac, Alka Seltzer.. tried them all. Work to a certain extent, but the problems never went away. I'd say Prilosec is the most effective, but loses effectiveness after a certain period of time.

I had also tried Donnatal and Reglan from my gastroenterogist. Both felt very artificial to me and would just mask the problem.

Took a break from ADD medicine for 6 months, all my stomach issues went away. Completely. It is definitely due to the stimulants. Best bet is to just come off them if it is bothering you that much. My spasms went away, my heartburn, acid reflux, and everything went away.

Mind you I was at the point of wanting to vomit after meals, burping up acid, not being able to drink coffee because of the nausea.. Serious issues. Once again, they all went away as I stopped the pills.

PS. Reglan has a second mechanism of blocking dopamine receptors so it stopped my ADD medication from working, but would actually speed up digestion. The side effects of Reglan aren't worth the benefit.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to M1K3Y For This Useful Post:
maddiemae (12-31-11)
Old 09-23-09, 09:50 AM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice

You can either eat when talking adderall because acid in your stomach will be busy digesting food and less of it will be available to irritate your stomach. When you have too much acid in your stomach with nothing to do (digest food), it gets bored and starts to eat some of the stomach'se protective lining that prevents it from eating its self and that causes ulcers.

Or you can take adderall with club soda. club soda neutralizes stomach acid and at the same time aids in adderall absorption (like tums or baking soda) plus its very delecious!

Be careful when taking Prilosec or nexium with adderall XR. it converts XR to IR. Prilosec decreases the amount of acid that your stomach produces. When the stomach is less acidic (or more alkaline) more adderall is released into your system maximizing its concentration and minimizing its duration.
Proof from shire (adderall XR brand maker) in effort to push Vyvanse (Vyvanse is not effected by prilosec)
www.shire.com/shire/uploads/press/shire/VYV-00495113PressReleaseCLEANNOREFSFINAL5222.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to Josh_kelly For This Useful Post:
Roserazzle (09-23-09)
Old 01-18-10, 04:06 PM

canitbeADD is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to post my experience as a warning. I experienced increased heartburn and reflux on adderall (also subsequently Dex/Ritalin) and my doc basically said let's just increase your PPI (prilosec) and not worry about it...

Big mistake. After 5 months on ADHD meds (adderall,dex, ritalin), I have been off of them for 6 weeks and my reflux is still 10x worse than it was originally and now I have LPR as well. I very much regret ever going on stims.

Just a word of warning, if you get reflux from a stim and it doesn't go away within a few weeks...you may want to consult with your doctor about dropping it.

This isn't meant as medical advice, just my personal experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to canitbeADD For This Useful Post:
maddiemae (12-31-11)
Old 01-18-10, 05:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

MCate will become famous soon enough

iisabelle, I felt like I was reading something *I* wrote! Yes, yes, a million times yes. I was just starting to connect the dots last night, and began wondering if there was a connection. I've only been on Adderall under two weeks...

Cate

Dx'd 1999: ADD (Inattentive), Depression
Alternative therapy: 5-HTP (50mg); L-Tyrosine (1000mg)

The Following User Says Thank You to MCate For This Useful Post:
maddiemae (12-31-11)
Old 03-02-10, 01:42 PM

menosdaADD is on a distinguished road

"Or you can take adderall with club soda. club soda neutralizes stomach acid and at the same time aids in adderall absorption (like tums or baking soda) plus its very delecious!"

everything I've been told from doctors and from research online leads me to believe that you are wrong with this statement. (not trying to be hurtful, and could be wrong) But from everything I have learned is that you want to make sure you stay away from pretty much anything carbonated. even though the soda water doesnt have the sugars and things that we normally associate with aciditiy, it does have a nice helping of carbonic acid by default because it is carbonated. If i remember correctly selzter water sits around 3.7-4ph which is on the acid side of things, and will most definitely not help with absorbing stomach acid.