ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-08, 11:07 PM

Alexzander'smom is on a distinguished road
Do Energy Drinks Help

For a long while I was drinking many energy drinks (red bull) a day. I was able to focus but the crash was horrible so I would drink more. I know- really bad for me. I stopped drinking energy drinks and now seem to not be able to focus. Is there something in the energy drinks that help me concentrate or is it all the sudden stress in my life making my symptoms worse?
Kaitlyn (niece I am trying to adopt)- Dec 05- FASD
Aiden (nephew I will be adopting)- Jan 09
Old 11-30-08, 11:27 PM
Contributor

Johnny123 will become famous soon enough
Re: Do Energy Drinks Help

I've been a caffeine addict taking absolutely huge amounts each day and that's made my problems worse and hidden my add symptoms quite alot. Then i stopped for a few months and realized i could have it (right now i'm drinking coffee instead of energy drinks, energy drinks load you up on sugar and other crap, a good extremely strong mug of percolated coffee does the trick well).

I take a fish oil and magnesium supplement every day which really improves my focus but i still manage to leave the percolator on the stove and remember that its on the stove just in time (the bottom part runs outta water then you're screwed).
Old 12-01-08, 06:18 PM
ADDvanced Member

I-Ubuntu is on a distinguished road

I hesitatingly tried a sugar-free Red Bull one day expecting I'd come out of my SKIN from the rush. What I found was the exact opposite. After about an hour I had a heck of a time staying awake. I was driving at the time and really wanted at least a little energy boost. I've tried a few other brands since then with the same effect.

I never had a problem with coffee. I was drinking over 2 quarts a day, and I like it STRONG. Since I've started on Strattera now coffee makes me way jittery. I've switched to brewed Lipton tea in stead. Tea has about 1/4 the caffeine of coffee.

All the Best,
Dwhite
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-08, 06:19 PM

matman40 is on a distinguished road

Im add inattentive. Energy drinks made me feel sick. Slows down my mind however.

It depends... are we talking like soda with alot of caffine, or things like monster, AMP, and NOS.

Basically, caffeine pills would make me feel hyper and jittery (200mg) Which only made me seem ADHD (note the H)
Old 12-01-08, 07:20 PM
Contributor

I think energy drinks/high amounts of caffeine tone my add innattentive symptoms down abit. I used to consume over 100, 100mg caffeine pills per month (and people claimed it'd be expensive, it was $11 for a bottle of 100 pills).

Then i stopped taking caffeine for a few months and it was horrid for the whole time, i know you'll feel stuffed for at least 2 weeks but 2 months of every day being completely screwed and extremely tired was too much for me.

When i get the results of my blood test i'm gonna ask my GP for something which i dont need such a large amount for it to work.
Old 12-01-08, 07:36 PM

Sam French is on a distinguished road

Energy drinks just scare me. I am very sensitive to sugars and sweetners. Coffee and
American Ginseng helps me through the day.
Old 12-01-08, 09:02 PM
Contributor

Contrapunctus is an unknown quantity at this point

I am very hyperactive, and caffeine makes me feel incredibly tired (in all possible ways).

The only time when I use caffeine is in conjuction with NSAIDs...
Old 12-01-08, 10:18 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

chowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of light

I consumed mountains of caffeine in my life; 1G+ a day most likely; starting at about 17. I certainly was self medicating and wasn't diagnosed until 51. I have recently quit caffeine, but it served me well for years.

I worry about any drink that has high volumes of sugar in it.

In addition to causing wide swings in blood sugar that can lead to mood swings and crashes, it's a big pile of empty calories.

The calories you take in in the form of liquid do NOT satisfy hunger. People who drink sugared drinks regularly don't eat any less 'real food' and their weight climbs steadily. Processing extra sugar is hard on the body and can lead to diabetes. Diabetes is showing up at an earlier age due, in part, to replacing water and milk with sugary beverages.

If you are going to take in an energy drink, go for an unsweetened variety containing an artificial sweetener your doctor approves of, or check out the Center for Science in the Public Interest.

Contact a doctor if you think you need help. Don't waste 30 years as I did.

DX at 51: GAD,OCD,ADHD mixed RX: Concerta. Ritalin / Propranolol as needed.
Old 12-01-08, 10:19 PM
Contributor

Caffeine only hides the problem i say.
Old 12-02-08, 05:14 PM
Jr Member

Newt_21 is on a distinguished road

tried one once. gave me a belly ache and i couldn't stay awake.