ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 12-01-08, 07:44 PM

wildcherryxxo is on a distinguished road
Question Vyvanse vs Adderall

so i started taking vyvanse and was very pleased with the results. it isnt as gripping as adderall and doesnt have that initial rush. I thought it wasnt working bc i remember what adderall felt like. I noticed that i was in control of what i wanted to do and whenever i was doing homework or whatever i wsa trying to do i was focused and could complete things. With adderall it was like serious "gotta do something" and i was OCD about stuff. Vyvanse doesnt do that. Also my mood was elevated on vyvanse and i am soo easygoing. Adderall increased my anger and esp. road rage. However i couldnt get my refill of vyvanse one month and i had to leave work it was so terrible. I was tired and was sooo just ****ed off. I felt crazy for it like i needed it badly. I found myself blurting out things that i wanted to keep to myself a couple times. mostly becuase i was so irritated. On vyvanse ive noticed that i grind my teeth and my jaws hurt constantly. I quit cold turkey on adderall 25 mg and never experienced withdraws like that. I was tired that was it. The withdraw from vyvanse made me scared to take it again cuz i never want to be so dependent and feel like that ever again. However i still am because there is prescription assistance with vyvanse and not with adderall. I dont know which is "worse" to take.
Old 12-01-08, 08:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

chrissaleen is on a distinguished road
Re: Vyvanse vs Adderall

I was curious what your dosage of Vyvance was/is my son's is 30 mg, 70lbs body weight
Old 12-02-08, 10:37 AM
ADDvanced Member

E4rolls will become famous soon enough

I had horrible withdrawl from Adderall after being forced to go cold turkey because I lost my job. I could'nt afford to see my pdoc or pay for my prescriptions.
I was depressed, irritable, spaced out, sleeping for 12-16 hours a day and severely anxious. This lasted for 3 months until I was able to see a new pdoc. I have to pay out of pocket for my new pdoc and Vyvanse so I had to go for 1 month without meds due to mismanagement of my finances. I had to sleep all day for a week and experienced the same stuff I went thru with Adderall withdrawl.
I learned my lesson and will not screw myself like that again!

Supplements: 1000mg Omega-3, multivitamin

Diagnosed: ADHD combined, Bipolar I with mania and psychotic features, SAD (Social Phobia)

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."-Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-11, 10:53 PM

Spikey will become famous soon enough

I just started Vyvanse 30mgs about 3 months ago now with a booster in the afternoon of generic Adderall 10mg IE. My mother told me that over my school's spring break (two weeks) I wasn't supposed to take Vyvanse which was fine with me, I prefer to sleep in, until I was hit with withdrawal I wasn't expecting.

I was exhausted entering spring break, and not taking the Vyvanse turned me into a zombie. The last week I've been sleeping 12 hours a night, and some nights it can be 14-18 hours of sleep a night. I'm space-y and the 1st few days off of it, my friends kept asking if I was high because I was so zonked out and sleepy. They thought I was on weed, which is something I'd never do.

A few headaches here and there, but I mostly abetted those by starting caffeine (something I was heavily addicted to before my ADHD diagnosis, and also something I stopped right before I started with Vyvanse).

I've been totally useless the last week, and I have another week left before I can take it again, and I definitely feel like I'd like to be back on my meds.

Anyone got a hint?
Old 12-11-11, 07:25 AM

shsnasorks is on a distinguished road

Vyvanse is nothing more than time released Dexedrine. It was developed to take over Adderall's 'brand name' revenue as the generic is more prescribed.

What is the difference in the two, ie Vyvanse vs Adderall?

Vyvanse is strictly made up of D-amphetamine.

Adderall is several forms of D-amphetamine and L-amphetamine.

There are theories on D vs L amphetamines.. and you can look them up - but basically given that Adderall has both forms it has a broader range of action, and thus is commonly reported to be 'stronger'.

Also, due to the makeup of these two, yes, the Vyvanse is commonly reported to stop working for no apparent reason, and/or lose its effectiveness to a considerable degree.

The only downside I can see about you switching to a comparable dose of Adderall would be the possibility of increased anxiety. Though a trial period of Adderall would certainly be worthy. Consult with your doctor and describe the problems, and your request. There shouldn't be a problem in shifting.