ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 12-02-08, 01:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

E4rolls will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Social Anxiety Disorder is ruining my life!

I have SAD and I have gotten to the point where I can't be in public places for long without feeling like everyone is looking at me because I feel and act so akward. Within minutes of entering a public place I start feeling the anxiety building up and I feel completely akward and self-conscious. It feels like people are watching me and thinking "what the hell is wrong with that guy?".
When I see someone I know and I try to make conversation with them I get so nervous that I am aware it shows in my face or body language. At work I avoid being around groups of co-workers as they joke and laugh because I feel like they will single me out or make a joke about me. I sweat constantly from anxiety at work around customers and co-workers which draws more attention to me and causes more anxiety.
I absolutely avoid social gatherings. I can't stand family get-togethers because my anxiety is overwhelming and I get paranoid that they don't like or respect me and they are embarassed of me.
I have trouble calling the few friends I have because I don't know what to talk about and I'm afraid they will reject me and stop being my friend.
I am taking Effexor XR for depression/anxiety and I'm hoping that things will get better for me soon.
I guess I just needed to get this stuff off my chest so thanks for reading.
Since starting Vyvanse I noticed that I am not so anxious for the first couple hours or so and I can talk to people but that does'nt last very long.
Does ADHD cause this SAD? Does anyone else with ADHD feel the same as I do?

Supplements: 1000mg Omega-3, multivitamin

Diagnosed: ADHD combined, Bipolar I with mania and psychotic features, SAD (Social Phobia)

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."-Anonymous
Old 12-02-08, 04:38 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 20,124 Times in 8,190 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Social Anxiety Disorder is ruining my life!

I only experience a mild version in big social gatherings. I just stop talking because I really don't feel at home there. But that in itself is not caused by anxiety.

And remember, real friends won't give up on you so easily.

Humans are caterpillars who do not know they can become butterflies.
Old 12-03-08, 12:19 AM

saradoll is on a distinguished road

I have innattentive ADD and I just came to this website to get help for the same problem. I feel like I might have had anxiety to some degree most of my life but that maybe meds have made it worse. MY situation is that I just recently lost a bunch of weight and started getting good grades after I was diagnosed a few months ago, but I am more self conscious than ever and when I sit in class I feel like everybody is-like you said-thinking about how weird I am, noticing everything wrong about my appearance, talking about me, etc....this is really strange considering when I was chubby before I did get self concious every now and then but NOT LIKE THIS
I CANNOT TALK TO PEOPLE this is my senior year and it is supposed to be amazing but everytime I try to have a conversation, i cant. I don't know where my self esteem went. I realize every now and then that what I'm worrying about is ridiculous, but I can't talk myself into NOT having a shaky voice when I talk to people..etc

Are there any meds you recently stopped taking? I just stopped taking Adderall because it was making me depressed, and I was over concentrating to the point where I was so focused inside my own head I couldn't talk..but now I can't talk for different reasons... I feel like the anxiety is perhaps a side effect from both taking Adderall & a withdrawal?
-a side note, I take vyvanse too. It worked fine for me during the summer but it could be different now I have no idea what is going on.

I'd be happy to talk about this with you and maybe we could get to the bottom of this. I'm seeing my psychiatrist Thursday and we will be talking about it all
I am really sorry you are going through this right now too and I will tell you what my psychiatrist says!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-08, 02:46 AM

nicki0854 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
When I see someone I know and I try to make conversation with them I get so nervous that I am aware it shows in my face or body language
You are so not alone in how you are feeling. It is so hard to try to explain what it is like, but I know exactly what you mean. I don't know what my eyes were doing when I was talking to someone (anyone) but I know that they (my eyes) were feeling strange, and the person I would be talking to is looking at me strange also. And that made me more nervous, so I'd start goofing up my words, maybe turn red, sometimes get a little "twitchy". Soooo much fun. One time I was at a concert with hundreds of people, and I thought that they were ALL looking at me, thinking what a weird person I was. I could barely walk I was so nervous. This was about 30 some years ago.

I am glad that you and saradoll can talk, and that saradoll is going to the doc to talk about this, because there has got to be a way to overcome this. One doctor put things kind of in perspective for me, by saying that I gave myself too much credit, in thinking that everyone was paying so much attention to me (or something like that). It was a blind sided way to put it, but she went on to say that most people (especially younger people) are more worried about themselves and the way others' are perceiving them. THEY are concentrating on what they are going to say next, or how THEY look. At the time, those words of advice didn't help. You don't have any control over the shaky voice, or any other manifestation of this crippling disorder. I sometimes even get nervous when I am in my car, alone.

With age comes a little relief, although my life has been determined by my inability to be in a class, relate to people comfortably, make friends, learn a job. You start to isolate yourself from people because it is so hard to be around them. It's easier to be unfriendly then it is to be friendly. And I have a very friendly nature. I do okay with strangers, in spurts. I read alot of self help books, and am trying to convince myself that I am a good person with a lot to offer. The books have helped me. It takes alot of inner talk, and you have to realize that you are JUST AS GOOD AS EVERYONE ELSE. In some instances, even better. When you are talking to someone, or watching them, and they are absolute jerks, or rude, you have to think to yourself, "Gosh, I'm glad that I'm not like that". I bet that you could say alot of nice things about yourself, if you think about it.

There is alot to respect about yourself. Think about it.

I will be watching here to see how saradoll's appt goes, and am very hopeful that you both can get through this quickly.
Old 12-03-08, 09:55 AM
ADDvanced Member

E4rolls will become famous soon enough

Hi saradoll and nicki0854! Thank you both for caring. I have been self conscious about the way I look since I started taking Zyprexa and gained 45 lbs. I was skinny before the Zyprexa and I feel so unattactive now. I also have been disabled for over 1 year now due to severe anxiety and Bipolar 1 so I've been isolating myself to the house most of the time. This anxiety started years over 2 years ago. I tried to fight through it and hold a job but it kept getting worse and I did'nt know what was happening to me or why.

My pdoc put me on Bupropion SR 300mg at the time and I started worrying obsessively and sweating in front of people and vomiting every morning at the thought of going to work. People would ask me what was wrong with me, "why are you sweating so much all the time? Are you nervous or something? ha ha ha" I just got more anxious and went into panic attacks at work. I told my pdoc I was having anxiety all the time but he would just say I was paranoid and that I need to get out and socialize more.

Meanwhile my life was hell and one day I had to quit my job during a bad panic attack. I really liked that job, it was a really good job and I blew it!
I tried working for a couple other employers but every time the same thing would happen to me and I would keep calling in sick until I was fired.

My pdoc finally listened to me and switched me from Bupropion SR to citalopram(Celexa) which helped a little but took about a month to have any real effect on me. I still could'nt hold a job and was terrified of going through the embarrasment and humiliation all over again so I applied for SSDI disability.
I was approved six months later and my doctor switched me from ritalin to dextroamphetamine which helped some. He told me that citalopram was excellent for depression/anxiety, yah right! I still had really bad anxiety in social situations after 4 months on citalopram so I ask to be switched to Effexor XR. I've been on Effexor now for 2 months and I'm still dealing with SAD!
Also my pdoc has got me tapering down off Zyprexa and plans on starting me on another anti-psychotic for the paranoia so I'm experiencing even more paranoia and anxiety while I taper down.
Sorry for the long boring post. I did'nt plan on rambling so much.

saradoll, I'm sorry that you are having so much anxiety in your senior year.
I totally relate to you when you say that you get over-focused in your own head and can't even talk.
I think that ADD causes some anxiety but the stimulant meds seem to cause hyper-focus on the anxiety and we can't think of anything else.
Sorry that you're experiencing paranoia and anxiety too.
I hope your pdoc can get you the right meds/treatment to help you feel better real soon.

Supplements: 1000mg Omega-3, multivitamin

Diagnosed: ADHD combined, Bipolar I with mania and psychotic features, SAD (Social Phobia)

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."-Anonymous
Old 12-05-08, 12:10 AM

saradoll is on a distinguished road

e4rolls- switching meds and the dosage is so frustrating. and i am so mad you had to go through all of that. have you heard of wellbutrin? i don't know much about bipolar meds but my dad takes it and says he has no side effects. however he has type II and he said when he first took it it brought out the "manic" part a little more...so that may not be so great. he said it takes the highs off the highs and lows off the lows and makes him not soo sensitive.
i got made fun of a month ago for sweating by a class full of juniors and thats the class i now get most paranoid in i absolutely dread it, so i feel ya on that one. i just try to act like i have nothing to be embarassed of and people are more likely to forget about it in a way, or just not think anything of it because its like okay this happened but **** happens. When you and I finally do get past the actual social anxiety part they will not remember you as the guy and me as the girl who sweats when they do see what it is you actually have to say. i know you can do it and i know we both have good things coming for us once this bs gets figured out...

I went to my psychiatrist- I don't totally agree with the final..conclusion so I'm making an appointment with my old therapist- she's the one who figured out I had innattentive ADD. My psychiatrist listens but she makes it obvious that she wants to get to the point and is quick to decide what I'm going to try next. Right now I take 50 mg of vyvanse and i just got off of an extra 10 of adderall. she wants me to try ritalin this weekend because she said my anxiety is a side effect because she thinks that since i thought people were talking about me was a part of being paranoid. I've been taking vyvanse at 50 mg since the beginning of summer though and this wasnt a problem for me since i started taking adderall, and since after i stopped (not that long ago). i used to be totally socially capable even during my awkward phase and this is not okay for me or for anyone. i feel very alone when i dont deserve to be.. this is a small "solution" for a bigger problem but one thing that does actually help me is exercise- and it has to do with more than just being confident, its an ADD thing...it helps you concentrate and makes me in a way better mood.
i used to weigh 50 more pounds so like you i have seen both sides and i can tell you this is not a weight issue. people do not look at you and see your weight. thats all there is to it. high school is the most superficial place in the world and i can say that. when you feel better about yourself that's what people are going to see. you definitely have something to bring to the table and the people around you may have no idea yet, but if they get that chance they are lucky and thats what will draw them in. you need to focus on improving how you feel on the inside and everything else comes with it. tell me if i am missing the point, im definitely aware that anxiety itself is something you and i cant help, i just wanted to address the weight part! i don't know so much about the meds. ugh.