ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-08, 09:36 PM

D_Titan is on a distinguished road
Help with ADD Medical Coverage

I come at the mercy of this forum. I lost my job and I can no longer afford health care. I'm wondering if there are any programs out there that offer help for people in poverty that have medical necessities but cannot pay for them. I didn't qualify for Medicaid for one reason or another. My current income level is at $356.00 per month. I have no assets. I should qualify for something....right? And that's money I receive from the VA because I'm disabled from the military. Can someone please help??!! I have severe ADHD and I need my meds. I can't afford $150.00 a month for Vyvanse. Are there any other programs in which I can see a psychiatrist or even a general family doctor at very low or no costs? I live in Tennessee.

Drug Cocktail: Lamictal, Geodon, Prozac, and Vyvanse.
Old 12-02-08, 09:39 PM

D_Titan is on a distinguished road
Re: Help with ADD Medical Coverage

And some of you might be wondering why the VA cannot see me for my medical problems. I am simply too far from them. Besides, it costs an arm and a leg to get care from there. I want a private doctor.

Drug Cocktail: Lamictal, Geodon, Prozac, and Vyvanse.
Old 12-03-08, 12:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

Tominal will become famous soon enough

I don't know the answer, but I do wish you well. Perhaps you could start with a call to the VA? Maybe they would have some suggestions. Also, you could just start calling state or federal government offices and see if you can get routed to the appropriate agencies (e.g., medicare/medicaid).

On the private front, it is probably possible to find a doctor who charges less for cash customers and would prescribe generic meds that are not nearly as expensive as Vyvanse. On $365 a month just about any cost would be excessive though.

Good luck!
-Tom
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-08, 01:59 PM

Thanked 5,795 Times in 4,200 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation

the pages need a free registration (which I don't really want) -
and so from google

Quote:
Dexedrine®: British National Formulary
This information is from the BNF. BNF ... Dexedrine®(Celltech) Controlled drug. Tablets, scored, dexamfetamine sulphate 5 mg. Net price 28-tab pack = £3.00. ...
www.bnf.org/bnf/bnf/current/3375.htm
£3 is ~$5
- that's around $20.00 per month for 20 mg / day

- I use 5 - 10 mg per day and so that's $5 per month paying the full pharmaceutical company cost -

it's a real cheap med because it is so old and has made it's way through to generic.

I wouldn't pay for any of the more expensive meds
(not that we particularly have a choice in the UK).

IGNORE LIST BEING USED - 8 ENTRIES
T - 1 before communication becomes futile.
Old 12-03-08, 03:36 PM
Forum Guru

blueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant future

Shire, the manufacturer of vyvanse, has a patient assistance program which can help you. They provide medication free of charge for those with low income.

Here is a thread about the program:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46120

This program will help you get signed up:
http://patientassistance.com/
Old 12-03-08, 04:47 PM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,142 Times in 1,772 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

One possible state agency to contact is your states Vocational Rehabilitation agency. I am presently seeing a psychiatrist who prescribes medication -- both paid for by my states VR agency. (The bulk of these agencies funding comes from the federal government -- reassuring in light of state budget cuts. I would hurry though, there may well be waiting lists starting...)

Information such as the Shire site should be placed on a 'sticky'. As we head into the second year of this recession there are going to be many more fellow ADDers who are going to need assistance.
-- Oscar Wilde