ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 12-03-08, 11:27 PM

pemberlydreams is on a distinguished road
Question Does stimulant medication make you clench your jaw?

I took Adderall XR and IR for a year, and my doctor recently switched me to Vyvanse, which works wonders for me. I love how it lasts so much longer, and I only have to take one pill a day. (I have ADD ... I can't remember to take multiple pills a day.)

I started taking Vyvanse about 2-3 weeks ago, and within the last week or so, my jaw has been really sore. About seven years ago, I had the same problem, and I wasn't taking stimulant medication. I went to a dentist, and he wanted me to get a mouth splint, but I was a poor college student with crappy insurance, so I never did it.

I don't think I grind my teeth in my sleep, but I am sleeping, so who knows. My husband says he doesn't notice, but he's sleeping, too. I used to grind my teeth a lot as a child, but I think I broke that habit years ago. I catch myself clenching my jaw when I'm stressed, and I imagine I'm doing it a lot in my sleep. I saw my dentist today, and he says I have TMJ and had me fitted for a mouth splint.

My husband said that perhaps it could be my medication. He said that stimulants can cause people to clench their jaws, but I don't know if it's my medication or if it's stress. I've had problems with this on and off for years, but I haven't had it this bad in quite a while. I am under a lot of stress at work, so that could be causing it. But does anyone know if medication may add to that? I don't really want to switch medicaitons, as I love how effectively Vyvanse works for me, but I don't want to do permanant damage to my jaw.

Anyone else have this experience?
"Alice laughed, 'There is no use in trying,' she said. 'One can't believe in impossible things.' 'I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. 'When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why sometimes, I believed in as many as six impossible things before breakfast." ~ Lewis Carrol
The Following User Says Thank You to pemberlydreams For This Useful Post:
starry (01-11-13)
Old 12-04-08, 12:55 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

WarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the rough
Re: Does stimulant medication make you clench your jaw?

When I started Wellbutrin I had that happen. I had this weird urge to touch my teeth together and even now I'll randomly notice that my jaw is tense and sore.
The Following User Says Thank You to WarPhalange For This Useful Post:
starry (01-11-13)
Old 12-04-08, 01:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,007 Times in 504 Posts
chartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant future

I didn't at first, but I just got permission from my doc to double my dosage during the several days before my cycle (going from 30 to 60 mg a day of Adderall IR) and now I am clenching it a lot, and also just noticing that my jaw generally feels tighter.

It's pretty annoying, especially because the increased dose just barely gets my focus to where it normally is (during the rest of the month) with a regular dose, but this particular side effect has increased dramatically.
Old 12-04-08, 01:27 PM

buster is on a distinguished road

Hi

I just started taking Ritillan about 2 weeks ago, and clenching my jaw was one of the first things i noticed. This was a habit I had never formed before i started taking the medication.

Not sure if the same applys to you, but it was definitly the rittilan that caused me to do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to buster For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (11-16-12)
Old 12-04-08, 01:35 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 9,177 Times in 3,831 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, yes yes! This is one of the reasons I stopped taking Adderall. I think I always have ground my teeth at night, but the meds made it 1000X worse. And I also clenched my teeth during the day. My dentist wanted me to get a mouth guard as well, but he was charging $500, and I had no insurance. I would probably have coughed up the $$$ if I thought I would actually wear it all night and not spit it out.
Old 12-04-08, 01:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

E4rolls will become famous soon enough

I have always clenched my jaw when I am feeling anxious but after starting Dex I've been grinding and clenching alot more than normal.
I also have picked up a new habit of chattering my teeth off and on which started from mixing my Ritalin with my dex. Wierd huh?

Supplements: 1000mg Omega-3, multivitamin

Diagnosed: ADHD combined, Bipolar I with mania and psychotic features, SAD (Social Phobia)

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."-Anonymous
Old 12-04-08, 05:36 PM
Contributor

olavia has a spectacular aura aboutolavia has a spectacular aura about

Yes, I got it when starting Ritalin, and now again after trying a noradrenalin reuptake inhibitor.
Old 12-04-08, 06:22 PM

Sloan is on a distinguished road

I never had the jaw clinch side effect when I used Adderall XR.
But when I switched to Adderall IR, the jaw clinch side effect was out of control.

The use of caffeine greatly increased this side effect with Adderall IR.
So I ended up quitting caffeine after 15 years+
Old 12-06-08, 01:31 AM
ADDvanced Member

trying has a spectacular aura abouttrying has a spectacular aura about

FWIW, this for me has been a mark of generally excessive 'noisy' stimulation (of a certain sort, goes my theories, but no need to get into that here) and has been very nicely curbed with the use of small doses of magnesium orotate or magnesium taurate, or with small doses of DHEA, or by lowering dose if that is OK. A good extract of Ginkgo Biloba also seemed to help. I also suspect that cutting out caffeine could be helpful if it is being used. These are only what helped me and cannot constitute direct advice. And finally, I have not noticed any jaw clenching with my current combination of memantine as adjunct to the Vyvanse/d-amp.
Old 12-06-08, 08:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

RecruitDir is on a distinguished road

When I started on Wellbutrin I found myself cletching my teeth - unknowingly. On Adderall XR standalone, I didn't have this, but when starting on both meds - I experienced a stimulant induced eye twitch, and the muscles in my arms would contract suddenly. However, after I got used to the meds - the symptoms disapated.

I am not sure why stims do this - but I am greatful to god that they went away and I can get the benefits of the meds.

One final thing, while not a stim, when I tried to stop taking Celexa overnight when in bed my hands would get "pins and needles", which was very painful - as soon as I took a dose of Celexa - the issue went away. I guess I am an Adderall (50mg), Wellbutrin (300mg), Celexa (20mg), Clairitin-D 24 (a type of stim, re: the dose of 240mg sudafed), and Vivrin (200mgs Caffene * 3x daily) person, for this combo seems to be the magic one for me. Given my tolerence - I don't feel overstimulated, but normal and calm.
Old 12-06-08, 10:15 PM
Jr Member

zitajayne is on a distinguished road

I've been taking Adderal XR for around 2 weeks and I notice that my jaw is tense quite often - but not grinding or clenching, but sore after I lay down after a day on drugs.
I'm not sure if this is something that I should expect to pass like other side effects, it's subtle - so doesn't bother me so much, but I have gotten migranes my whole life and fear that a tense jaw constantly will increase the liklihood of getting them.
Old 12-08-08, 05:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

BJC81 will become famous soon enough

Hi,
I have been taking Adderal XR for the past 4 years. I also tend to clunch my jaw. I do it more when I am stressed at work. But, now I chew gum and i do not clench my jaw as much
Old 12-08-08, 07:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

elegy is a jewel in the roughelegy is a jewel in the roughelegy is a jewel in the rough

I clench my jaw as well. As mentioned above, I tend to clench my jaw more when I'm also under stress. Which is frequently the case for me.

Unfortunately, I am already the type of person who handles stress and anxiety with my body, which results in stomach upset, tense muscles, shaky hands, tension headaches, etc. I find that naproxen sodium(Aleve) is extremely effective on my tension headaches.

It's hard to do, but I find that trying to be aware of my jaw clenching and shoulder tensing helps me be able to recognize those behaviors, and then consciously relax my muscles. I do this dozens of times a day, but I don't get nearly as many tension headaches or muscle cramps.

"I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it. "
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elegy For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (11-16-12), meadd823 (12-09-08)
Old 12-09-08, 12:14 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 14,650 Times in 5,791 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's hard to do, but I find that trying to be aware of my jaw clenching and shoulder tensing helps me be able to recognize those behaviors, and then consciously relax my muscles. I do this dozens of times a day, but I don't get nearly as many tension headaches or muscle cramps.

Ditto - I do not know that my tension is medication related I think I have always been tense - I remember my jaw getting sore as a child before ever taking any type of stimulant medications - I do think the medications make me more aware of it though.

I too have to make my self relax my muscles

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 12-09-08, 12:22 AM
Forum ADDvocate

roly poly is just really niceroly poly is just really niceroly poly is just really niceroly poly is just really nice

I've always had jaw clenching and teeth grinding. I think I do it more when my meds are worn off.