ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 12-06-08, 04:30 AM

wbeck85 is on a distinguished road
How do I tell if its working?

Hey folks, I'm Will, age 23, and I'm new to the forum and new to ADD (very recently diagnosed with Inattentive type) and very new to the drugs will help me actually PASS classes in College.

This past Monday (today is Friday.... technically Saturday morning...), I visited my new doctor, who was recommended to me by my new ADD coach (whom I met through the Students with Disabilities program at my school, Virginia Tech) Our meeting went well, he is very bright and has a lot of experience helping folks with ADD. We talked for a while about medications and he decided he would start me off with Adderall, as he found most of his patients respond well to it. However, he told me that it would take some work to find my proper dosage. So he told me we would be doing some titrating for the next two weeks to see what worked for me and he gave me a prescription for 60 5mg pills and said to slowly increase my dosage by 5mg until I found what worked.

So, I took my 60 5mg "AMPHETA S/COMBO 5MG TAB BARR" bottle of pills home and Tuesday morning, at 8AM swallowed the first one. I took another pill that afternoon around 3PM, as the bottle says "Take one tablet by mouth twice daily". I could not wait to be freed from the frustration of incessant distraction. However, I could perceive absolutely ZERO effect from the medicine on Tuesday. I was disappointed.

So, Wednesday, I decided to up my dose to 10 MG twice a day and took 2 pills at 8:30 that morning. I then went to the Post Office, bought 2 books of stamps and mailed 3 bills.... forgetting to put my freshly purchased stamps on them, I then lost my keys and locked myself out of my house. Typical. So far it seemed two pills were doing nothing. 2:30 came around and I took 2 more 5MG pills and went to Barnes and Noble with my wife. We sat in the cafe and drank lattes and talked. Or rather, I talked. I never talk. I'm always the brooder, the one who cant spit out a whole sentence if my life depended on it. Yet, I yacked her ear off for nearly half an hour. As I talked, I got excited about talking and that made the words come faster. Eventually though we left and my chatter subsided. Aside from this one event, I still felt as though this dose was not doing what it was supposed to. I still had poor focus all day, my thoughts were still scattered and fleeting uncontrolled all day.

Thursday, I tried 3 pills, 15 MG in the morning before I went to work. I work in a dining hall on Tech's campus as a Student Manager, meaning I spend most of my time running around trying to get employees to do what they are supposed to and keep the place running smoothly. It is a relatively high stimulation job that keeps me moving and thinking. I do not thing this is the best place for testing an ADD drug, but still, I could not percieve any difference in my concentration or thoughts. After my lunch break at 2:30pm, I took another 15MG of the generic Adderall, again no noticeable affect while at work that afternoon. On my way home from work at 5PM, I called my mother to tell her about the new car my wife and I bought and again the words flowed from my mouth easily and quickly. I arrived home and felt very normal for the rest of the evening, I tried to read 'Driven to Distraction' by Dr. Hallowell while my wife watched Grey's Anatomy, but did not get far with the TV on in the living room. Again I was frustrated that my head wasn't as clear I as thought it should be.

Friday morning I decided I'd shoot for the moon and took 25mg, 5 pills, of the Adderall hoping that I was either going to go to work clear headed or hyped up -- at least then I would know that finding my proper dosage was just around the bend (I am very impatient with this sort of thing and want to know NOW instead of 'experiment' for another week). Nothing. I again didn't perceive any difference in my concentration. Nor did I feel excited from too much stimulant. At 4PM I took an another 20MG and stayed at work until 10:30PM. Again, I couldn't tell.

This brings us to the present. If anything, taking Adderall has enabled me to stay up late. It is now 4:15 AM and I need to go to work in 5 hrs. Yet, I do not feel excruciatingly tired. Usually on a Friday night, after working 12 hrs or so, I am exhausted by 1 or 2 AM. Though I do feel very tired, my eyes are not rolling back in my head and I am cognitive enough to register and post a very long message on this forum. However, this may not be the Adderall at all, as it is typical behavior for me to stay up ridiculously late a few nights every few weeks, usually its playing World of Warcraft though, more stimulating than just typing.

Anyway. What is this drug supposed to be doing to me? How do I know if its working? My doctor says "You'll know when you've found the right dose." Yet, I have no clue. It has taken my 2 hours-plus now to gather my thoughts enough to write this post.
Have I gone past my proper dosage?
Should I keep increasing it?
Should I back off?
Is it possible I'm just resistant to Adderall and need to try an alternate medication?
Saturday morning, before I leave for work, I am going to go back to 15MG and see how that works out.

Any advice as to what I'm supposed to be looking for in this medication is greatly appreciated. Thanks for helping out a former forum troll :-)

Last edited by wbeck85; 12-06-08 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: Grammar/Spelling
Old 12-06-08, 05:42 AM
ADDvanced Member

nicolai will become famous soon enough
Re: How do I tell if its working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbeck85 View Post
Hey folks, I'm Will, age 23, and I'm new to the forum and new to ADD (very recently diagnosed with Inattentive type) and very new to the drugs will help me actually PASS classes in College.

This past Monday (today is Friday.... technically Saturday morning...), I visited my new doctor, who was recommended to me by my new ADD coach (whom I met through the Students with Disabilities program at my school, Virginia Tech) Our meeting went well, he is very bright and has a lot of experience helping folks with ADD. We talked for a while about medications and he decided he would start me off with Adderall, as he found most of his patients respond well to it. However, he told me that it would take some work to find my proper dosage. So he told me we would be doing some titrating for the next two weeks to see what worked for me and he gave me a prescription for 60 5mg pills and said to slowly increase my dosage by 5mg until I found what worked.

So, I took my 60 5mg "AMPHETA S/COMBO 5MG TAB BARR" bottle of pills home and Tuesday morning, at 8AM swallowed the first one. I took another pill that afternoon around 3PM, as the bottle says "Take one tablet by mouth twice daily". I could not wait to be freed from the frustration of incessant distraction. However, I could perceive absolutely ZERO effect from the medicine on Tuesday. I was disappointed.

So, Wednesday, I decided to up my dose to 10 MG twice a day and took 2 pills at 8:30 that morning. I then went to the Post Office, bought 2 books of stamps and mailed 3 bills.... forgetting to put my freshly purchased stamps on them, I then lost my keys and locked myself out of my house. Typical. So far it seemed two pills were doing nothing. 2:30 came around and I took 2 more 5MG pills and went to Barnes and Noble with my wife. We sat in the cafe and drank lattes and talked. Or rather, I talked. I never talk. I'm always the brooder, the one who cant spit out a whole sentence if my life depended on it. Yet, I yacked her ear off for nearly half an hour. As I talked, I got excited about talking and that made the words come faster. Eventually though we left and my chatter subsided. Aside from this one event, I still felt as though this dose was not doing what it was supposed to. I still had poor focus all day, my thoughts were still scattered and fleeting uncontrolled all day.

Thursday, I tried 3 pills, 15 MG in the morning before I went to work. I work in a dining hall on Tech's campus as a Student Manager, meaning I spend most of my time running around trying to get employees to do what they are supposed to and keep the place running smoothly. It is a relatively high stimulation job that keeps me moving and thinking. I do not thing this is the best place for testing an ADD drug, but still, I could not percieve any difference in my concentration or thoughts. After my lunch break at 2:30pm, I took another 15MG of the generic Adderall, again no noticeable affect while at work that afternoon. On my way home from work at 5PM, I called my mother to tell her about the new car my wife and I bought and again the words flowed from my mouth easily and quickly. I arrived home and felt very normal for the rest of the evening, I tried to read 'Driven to Distraction' by Dr. Hallowell while my wife watched Grey's Anatomy, but did not get far with the TV on in the living room. Again I was frustrated that my head wasn't as clear I as thought it should be.

Friday morning I decided I'd shoot for the moon and took 25mg, 5 pills, of the Adderall hoping that I was either going to go to work clear headed or hyped up -- at least then I would know that finding my proper dosage was just around the bend (I am very impatient with this sort of thing and want to know NOW instead of 'experiment' for another week). Nothing. I again didn't perceive any difference in my concentration. Nor did I feel excited from too much stimulant. At 4PM I took an another 20MG and stayed at work until 10:30PM. Again, I couldn't tell.

This brings us to the present. If anything, taking Adderall has enabled me to stay up late. It is now 4:15 AM and I need to go to work in 5 hrs. Yet, I do not feel excruciatingly tired. Usually on a Friday night, after working 12 hrs or so, I am exhausted by 1 or 2 AM. Though I do feel very tired, my eyes are not rolling back in my head and I am cognitive enough to register and post a very long message on this forum. However, this may not be the Adderall at all, as it is typical behavior for me to stay up ridiculously late a few nights every few weeks, usually its playing World of Warcraft though, more stimulating than just typing.

Anyway. What is this drug supposed to be doing to me? How do I know if its working? My doctor says "You'll know when you've found the right dose." Yet, I have no clue. It has taken my 2 hours-plus now to gather my thoughts enough to write this post.
Have I gone past my proper dosage?
Should I keep increasing it?
Should I back off?
Is it possible I'm just resistant to Adderall and need to try an alternate medication?
Saturday morning, before I leave for work, I am going to go back to 15MG and see how that works out.

Any advice as to what I'm supposed to be looking for in this medication is greatly appreciated. Thanks for helping out a former forum troll :-)
Hi there. Unfortunate story you've got going on. Having a slight boost in mood (talking more..I'm assuming in your case more outgoing = happier?) is pretty common with Adderall, but if it's not helping attention then it's probably not a high enough dose.

When you first hit the right dose with Adderall, you should know.. not just from concentration, but you feel in the "zone" and completely aware of everything. It's kind of scary, and I felt I was on speed (I think anyway, I've never tried speed), but I felt like I could "feel" everything in my body, like I could visualize where all my organs are and imagine them moving. Other weird stimulant effects are very common for the first week or so. If you're not feeling anything (no euphoria, no tingly-ness, no decreased appetite, no concentration, raise in heart rate, less fog in the head, etc) then I doubt you've hit the right dose.

However, "jumping around" as you're doing, is not going to help a thing. You're going to get screwed up, and essentially won't know what dose worked. Adderall stays in your system for at least a day, usually two.

With Adderall, proper titration is starting at 5mg once a day or twice a day, and moving up 5mg per day as needed. Going from 5 to 10 to 25 to 15 to 20 etc is going to screw things up . You should pick a dose, stick with it for a couple days (at least two), and move up 5mg per day.

It takes anywhere from 5-40mg of IR per dose to reach optimal effectiveness for any given person. Just be patient, and once all other options are depleted you can conclude that Adderall isn't a wise choice, and perhaps Ritalin or Concerta would be better. Good luck
Old 12-06-08, 07:30 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,475 Times in 750 Posts
SuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant future

if you have to ask, it's not.

Syd Barrett
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-08, 08:52 AM

wbeck85 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the info. I definitely have not been feeling any sort of euphoria :-) though my appetite has definitely decreased. I am usually an impulsive eater: eat when I'm bored, eat when I'm frustrated; but for the past few days, I have been eating less, not really on purpose, I just haven't had so many impulses. I think I can attribute that to the Adderall.

I'm glad you guys responded so quickly. I'm about to take my morning dose now. I will do the 25MG @ 9AM today and I'll take it again this afternoon. Tomorrow I'll do 30MG. Thanks again for the insight.

And, I guess I'm not a "former forum troll", like I realize now that I said in my first post. A "troll" is such an unpleasant creature. I'm a "former forum lurker" I guess :-)

Cheers! and thanks again!
Old 12-06-08, 11:55 AM

lilhotADDmama is on a distinguished road

Adderall IR stays in your system 4 to 6 hours. With that said, it's best to do a 5 day trial- I would start with 20mg for 5 days if that doesn't work, then add 5 more mg. Honestly you should be talking to your doc about this- Are you seeing a Pysch or a GP? This really makes a difference- Adderall may just not be the right choice for you. Either way, when I first started I had a new script each month. Again, talk to your doc- he should be very helpful, if not you need to find a new doc.