ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-08, 12:35 PM
Jr Member

fortunateson is on a distinguished road
COFFEE - does it make ADD worse?

I know caffeine isn't considered a "substance", but to me it is a drug.

I noticed my symptoms got worse since I started a coffee habit about 5 years ago. Could this be responsible for my ADD getting worse?

Will quitting the coffee make it better?
Old 12-07-08, 12:49 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,003 Times in 629 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
Re: COFFEE - does it make ADD worse?

Caffeine seems to affect people differently.
It can even make some folks sleepy.
Old 12-07-08, 02:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,628 Times in 881 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of

Since caffeine is a stimulant, it actually helps many with ADHD as a mild substitute or additional kick to meds. (My son is unmedicated, and in a pinch with homework, will take some coffee to help him focus/concentrate). If you think it might have a negative efffect on your ADHD though, go ahead and try to go without. That's the only way you would know. I would suggest a slow withdrawl though, if you decide to try going off it, especially if you take in a lot of caffienated coffee daily, as a cold-turkey cafiene withdrawl is no fun (headaches). Try adding a little decaff each day, more and more, for a couple of weeks for the gentlest withdrawl.

Lots of caffiene over time can also deplete your body of certain nutrients over time, so that may be something else to consider in your overall health and well-being and the way you have been feeling since drinking coffee.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-08, 02:59 PM
Forum ADDvocate

sarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of light

it makes me very restless, a bit light headed, very unfocused.
so for me
it makes it worse.

I am who I am, and sweetie, your approval isn't needed, no matter how much you think it is!
Old 12-09-08, 03:56 AM
Contributor

Johnny123 will become famous soon enough

caffeine has something similar to the adhd medications, but doesn't work nearly as well. It actually calms me down, to the point where nobody really saw add in me.
Old 12-17-08, 05:41 AM

dacres will become famous soon enough

Yeah, that seems odd to me.
Caffeine was always slightly helpful.
Also, I noticed if I smoked (cigarettes) before studying it helped.

Really anything that is a stimulant should help, hence why the kings of stimulants are prescribed for ADHD.

It could just be you have a strange reaction to caffeine.
Old 12-21-08, 10:56 PM
Forum ADDvocate

sarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of light

I usually chug coffee haha so it makes me quite hyperactive and buzzed. I do,not react well to caffeine , neither does my step brother(he's adhd) or my dad(he's adhd). so it's not all that uncommon.

I am who I am, and sweetie, your approval isn't needed, no matter how much you think it is!
Old 12-22-08, 12:08 AM

AnDDy will become famous soon enough

I have been drinking coffee starting in preschool. I did not like milk, so my Mom flavored the milk with coffee and sugar.

I would have coffee for breakfast and coffee when I came home for lunch in elementary school. I don't remember having having any ADD issues in school until I no longer had my lunch coffee.

My best quarter in college was fueled by consuming large quantities of coffee. So much in fact that I was going to multiple doctors trying to identify my abdominal pain. Finally fingered the coffee. It was causing cramps. I was drinking gallons of coffee a week.

Went through a period of decaf only. I found myself less anxious. Finally the pace of my life picked up and I needed caffeine to pick me up. But, I regulate it better.

Here is my scoop.
Some coffee makes me more productive. Too much coffee makes it impossible for me to sit down. My thinking becomes hazy. If I drink coffee while on stimulants, I can have anxiety issues.

So, does coffee make ADD worse? It can, but it can also help. Just like other stims, it's all in the dosage.
Old 01-21-09, 08:38 AM
Contributor

Johnny123 will become famous soon enough

I realised i'm completely different without it. I can have a strong percolated coffee before going to sleep and sleep fine.
Old 02-01-09, 05:39 PM
Contributor

stillfightin will become famous soon enough

I had to get rid of caffeine in my diet.
Old 03-26-09, 07:49 PM

beachwalker is on a distinguished road

Caffeine and piloting aeroplane studies
I might be wrong but is there not an old study showing that as an aeroplane passenger
you are safer (pilot response time, attention and accurate response in complex tasks) if your pilot has had a small dose of dexedrine than caffeine at any dose (caffeiene overall deteriorated p[erformance incomplex piloting tasks in simulators)? even tobacco faired muched better than caffeine (though nowhere near as good as dexedrine) in the old study I think I am referring to.

Also I read of studies of scans of brain activity where the up or high from caffiene makes lots of sections all over the brain light up very temporarily followed by a rebound deficit, (which may have some uses, like short duration exercise and sport) however dexedrine lights up only specific areas associated with the tasks the test subjects were focussing on for much longer duration. I dont know if the sample included adhd or just normal adults?

The photographs of spider web patterns that spiders made on drugs was an interesting aside (did anybody see this stuff and was it real research or a joke?) it certainly was presented like real research saying the same species of spider was given a specific drug like LSD or heroin (how they dosed spiders up is beyond me?) and this is the spider web it made under the influence of drug X,

needless to say some webs where beautiful and complex to behold (more than the undrugged control spider webs) some started off well with beautiful designs but failed early in their structural integrity (ie marajuana) but some, infact probably most where a deterioration on the control, like opioids.

How much this reflects on humans is beyond me, I suspect very little if at all, but I do clearly remember the spider web made on caffeine was probably one of the worst as opposed to that on amphetamine as one of the outstanding best.

maths tests on caffeine (non addicted subjects) also hand eye coordination tasks not involving high physical strength or force inputs (ie surgery) but sustained precise effort requiring fine motor skills where well below average, if I am remembering well, but short physically active tasks requiring strength, like pole vaulting were improved.

As usual it is remarkable to read all the variation in our responses in previous posts. In my case I am one in the camp of people that do best without caffeine, particularly from coffee. Drinks like Latin American mate and or green tea seem somewhat different though, the former combining caffeine with a putative mild MAO I, seems more calming to me as does green tea with its L-theanine intact.
Old 03-26-09, 08:21 PM

dissolved girl will become famous soon enough

before i thought i had ADD, coffee would help a ton with concentration which is why i loved it, it would actually help a bit in getting my work done. over time though my tolerance would go up and i would end up drinking several cups a day and the effects just aren't the same than they were when i was younger. now i just drink it out of habit and addiction since i get a very painful headache and feel exhausted without it. i still love having those first few sips of the first coffee of my day, mmmm.
Old 03-26-09, 08:46 PM
Jr Member

Pete789 is on a distinguished road

In my opinion coffee is a different stimulant than Ritalin. Ritalin specifically effects the back of the brain - coffee dos not.

I don not get anxious on Ritalin ( unless i have too much) an dcoffee must be regulated too.

Point is that nothing can do the job Ritalin can. Ritalin slows my thoughts down and opens up the capiliaries at the back of the brain.

Peter
Old 03-27-09, 05:12 PM
Forum Guru

Old School MBD has a spectacular aura aboutOld School MBD has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny123 View Post
caffeine has something similar to the adhd medications, but doesn't work nearly as well. It actually calms me down, to the point where nobody really saw add in me.
My counselor said that an alternative for people who are not caffine sensative is to drink a **** load of Mt. Dew, coffee, ETC

As someone posted earlier, not all people respond to Caffine in the same way.