ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Non-ADD Partner Support
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Non-ADD Partner Support This is a support forum for non-ADD partners, spouses, and significant others offering feedback from both the ADD and non-ADD perspectives

Old 12-22-08, 08:55 PM
Jr Member

Newbie_at_38! is on a distinguished road
Question Is there such a thing as book for family members of adults?

Hi there
I am 38 and have just been tentatively diagnosed with ADHD by my clinical psychologist and am awaiting 'official' diagnosis by a psychiatrist.

I am wanting to know if there are any books/materials out there that my family (Mum, Dad, sister) could read about supporting me. They are open to that and would like to be able to help me.

Are any of the books written for spouses/partners appropriate? Or would one of the books for parents of children with ADHD be better?

My family live in a different State to me, but I see them 2-3 times a year. If there were some strategies that they could employ to help/support me they (and I) would love to know about them.

Thanks!
Old 12-22-08, 09:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,558 Times in 770 Posts
Grafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant future
Re: Is there such a thing as book for family members of adults?

From a social perspective, I recommend Hallowell & Ratey's Delivered from Distraction.

Its an easy read, humorous, accentuates positives, and recommends tips/tricks/techniques that are easily attainable. Explanations are given in a manner which makes it easily understandable, also.

There are other good books based on the science, diagnosis, etc.