ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you feel more focused after trimming your nails?
Yes 2 22.22%
No 7 77.78%
Other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-18, 09:21 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,112 Times in 837 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Focused after trimming nails?

Do you feel more focused after you trim your fingernails and toenails?

M
Kaia.S (04-02-18)
Old 04-01-18, 10:39 AM

Thanked 11,133 Times in 5,431 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Focused after trimming nails?

much more focused

toenail clipping releases a massive amount of dopamine
Gypsy Willow (04-02-18), Kaia.S (04-02-18), Little Missy (04-01-18), mildadhd (04-01-18), psychopathetic (04-01-18)
Old 04-01-18, 12:55 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

This topic of trimming fingernails reminds me of something in John Ratey's book, Shadow Syndromes: The Mild Forms of Major Mental Disorders. There is a chapter in which he talks about the kind of metaphorical, mental "white noise" which occurs in depression or ADHD or other mental disorders so that our brains "cease to function as the quiet reflective center of an ordered world" and we become "noisy on the inside." This figurative noise, he says, is "metaphorically akin to the very low signal-to-noise ratio of a radio channel filled with static."

He then says (p. 62):

Quote:
Internal noise affects our ability to work efficiently...For one thing, many people in a state of noise cope by "focusing down" - by drastically narrowing their field of vision. Biting fingernails can be a way of focusing down: when an individual becomes absorbed in the act of biting his nails, his brain feels, for those moments, calmer, more organized. He is focused upon a very small field of action. Pacing offers the same organizing, noise-reducing effect. (Hobbies, too, are often a highly adaptive way of achieving the same result. Collecting, gardening, knitting, cooking, tinkering with the car - all are productive and soothing ways of focusing down on one narrowly defined activity.)
So, I'm sure that cutting fingernails does the same things. It's a way of "focusing down" to a narrowly defined activity which has the benefit of reducing our internal "noise" and makes us feel calmer and more organized.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-01-18), daveddd (04-02-18), Gypsy Willow (04-02-18), Kaia.S (04-02-18), mildadhd (04-01-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-18, 08:59 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,271 Times in 727 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

I'm screwed!! I chew my fingernails and toenails. -LN

Sorry, late.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-02-18), daveddd (04-02-18), Kaia.S (04-02-18), Little Missy (04-02-18), mildadhd (04-03-18), PoppnNSailinMan (04-02-18)
Old 04-02-18, 09:41 AM

Thanked 21,009 Times in 11,203 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me, when I finally decide to do LOL's nails because NO ONE ELSE will, I do it as fast as I can and then run around the house to get away from all of it.

I leave the clippings for the housekeeper and pretend they aren't there.

The focus is what makes me do it, getting all Fu Manchu-like catching in the carpeting, she only goes barefoot. Radiant floor heat is the Old Girl's dream.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
daveddd (04-02-18), mildadhd (04-03-18), PoppnNSailinMan (04-02-18), stef (04-02-18)
Old 04-02-18, 10:09 AM
ADDvanced Member

Kaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppnNSailinMan View Post
This topic of trimming fingernails reminds me of something in John Ratey's book, Shadow Syndromes: The Mild Forms of Major Mental Disorders. There is a chapter in which he talks about the kind of metaphorical, mental "white noise" which occurs in depression or ADHD or other mental disorders so that our brains "cease to function as the quiet reflective center of an ordered world" and we become "noisy on the inside." This figurative noise, he says, is "metaphorically akin to the very low signal-to-noise ratio of a radio channel filled with static."

He then says (p. 62):

So, I'm sure that cutting fingernails does the same things. It's a way of "focusing down" to a narrowly defined activity which has the benefit of reducing our internal "noise" and makes us feel calmer and more organized.
Thank you, this is very insightful information... i have been wondering all my life, why i still suck my thumb as a grownup in certain moments, or bite my nails compulsively when i don't have nail polish on... really, hours can go by on 1 single nail, it's a repetition of working my teeth onto a very subtle part, that doesn't come of easy, and once i'm 'in it' it keeps pulling me back, it's even a reason for being too late sometimes.

Smoking possible does the same thing?

And since a year, after my first panic attack before my diagnose, i have this white noise in my head. I never made the connection this way!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kaia.S For This Useful Post:
daveddd (04-02-18), Gypsy Willow (04-02-18), Little Missy (04-02-18), mildadhd (04-03-18), PoppnNSailinMan (04-02-18), stef (04-02-18)
Old 04-02-18, 10:21 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,781 Times in 13,007 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Mental white noise!
I've been looking for a way to describe my adhd, that's it;
and didn't realize the extent of it until I started meds.
20 mg ritalin - the first time I tried this dose, it simply stopped.

cutting nails doesn't relax me, but I feel calm when it's done because it usually had been bothering me. Also: fixing chipped nail polish.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-02-18), daveddd (04-02-18), Kaia.S (04-02-18), Little Missy (04-02-18), mildadhd (04-03-18), PoppnNSailinMan (04-02-18), psychopathetic (04-02-18)
Old 04-02-18, 12:04 PM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaia.S View Post
Thank you, this is very insightful information... i have been wondering all my life, why i still suck my thumb as a grownup in certain moments, or bite my nails compulsively when i don't have nail polish on... really, hours can go by on 1 single nail, it's a repetition of working my teeth onto a very subtle part, that doesn't come of easy, and once i'm 'in it' it keeps pulling me back, it's even a reason for being too late sometimes.

Smoking possible does the same thing?

And since a year, after my first panic attack before my diagnose, i have this white noise in my head. I never made the connection this way!
Yea. I bite my thumb or index finger. Sometimes to a callous

Interesting
Kaia.S (04-03-18), mildadhd (04-03-18), PoppnNSailinMan (04-02-18)
Old 04-02-18, 02:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

Gypsy Willow has a spectacular aura aboutGypsy Willow has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
much more focused

toenail clipping releases a massive amount of dopamine
Shut the front door!! I never knew that!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gypsy Willow For This Useful Post:
daveddd (04-03-18), mildadhd (04-03-18)
Old 04-02-18, 02:14 PM

HOOSIER69 is on a distinguished road

Wow!!

OCD

OCD (Oppositional defiant disorder - self diagnosed)

Procrastination, focus, and memory issues

Amygdala brain "hijack (flight or fight response)
The Following User Says Thank You to HOOSIER69 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (04-03-18)
Old 04-03-18, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Willow View Post
Shut the front door!! I never knew that!
Sorry. Dry humor
aeon (04-03-18), Gypsy Willow (05-24-18), mildadhd (04-03-18)
Old 04-03-18, 03:28 AM

Thanked 5,999 Times in 2,805 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
Yea. I bite my thumb or index finger. Sometimes to a callous

Interesting
So did I, but then I tried to become a guitarist- and stumps just don't sound so good.

I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.

both by:
Max Planck: Nobel Prize 1918 for inventing quantum physics.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-03-18), Kaia.S (04-03-18), mildadhd (04-03-18)