ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-11-09, 02:33 PM

pisces80 is on a distinguished road
Does Adderall XR make you sleepy/sluggish?

Hi, I was put on Adderall XR 20mg, I've been on it only 3 days so far, but it's making me really sleepy/sluggish and have developed a little diarrhea. Could you tell me if this is something that will pass as my body adjusts to the medicine or could it be something else? I've read before about how your body may need less or more when you feel this way, not sure what to do, should I keep taking it or talk to my dr. about.
Thanks for any input.
Old 01-11-09, 03:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

Rayleigh will become famous soon enough
Re: Does Adderall XR make you sleepy/sluggish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisces80 View Post
Hi, I was put on Adderall XR 20mg, I've been on it only 3 days so far, but it's making me really sleepy/sluggish and have developed a little diarrhea. Could you tell me if this is something that will pass as my body adjusts to the medicine or could it be something else? I've read before about how your body may need less or more when you feel this way, not sure what to do, should I keep taking it or talk to my dr. about.
Thanks for any input.
When I took Adderall XR at 20 mg it made me tired too. I would fall asleep a while after taking it. Up your dose. I am on day 2 of my increased dose and I feel SO much better. I am not hyper, I am calm. Not tired or too energized. You need to up your dose, being tired means it is too low. Actually when i was on too low of a dose, it almost made me feel worse than being on nothing. Also, the first few days are when most symptoms come and go so the diarrhea may pass. I had awful mood swings and depression which thankfully went way within a few days.
Old 01-11-09, 05:59 PM

Thanks for your response Rayleigh, my only concern is that if I up my dose it might be too much for me, since I only have the 20mg of Adderall XR. Won't 40mg be a bit too much, the one I have are capsules so I wouldn't be able to cut it in half. Do you take 40mg yourself? If you do, and you say you feel ok, I might go ahead and give it a try tomorrow. Should I take the pills at the same time or pace it out? Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-09, 06:09 PM
Jr Member

Bertrand is on a distinguished road

Also make sure you're getting enough sleep. You should be able to wake up without an alarm clock. Even non-ADHD people get ADHD symptoms when they are sleep deprived. Bear in mind that lack of sleep begets insomnia, so it can become a vicious cycle.

I haven't had any amphetamines in a long time and never Adderall (it didn't exist when I was getting treatment), but when I did take Dexedrine I would feel much calmer. If I were tired, I imagine I would have felt sleepy. (I had similar effects with methylphenidate, which I have had more experience with.)
Old 01-11-09, 06:39 PM

Well, the problem is that is not really sleepy because if I try to lay down to take a nap I can't seem to fall asleep, is more of a sluggish feeling, dragging feeling. I've been able to get 6 to 7 hours of sleep since I started so I don't think I'm sleep deprived. I also notice that there are periods of time when I feel a little energy and concentration and then after a while is gone and the sluggish feeling comes back. Why is that? It's kind of weird, I think next time I see my Dr. I'll ask her for the IR ones instead of the XR. What do you think?
Old 01-11-09, 06:59 PM
Jr Member

magiix will become famous soon enough

I was once told that that 'calm,' sleepy feeling (which I got the first time I took Adderall) was a sign that it must be true that I have ADD. Logic being: you add stimulants to people who are usually hyper-- but they calm and relax and get sleepy.--- kinda interesting.
Anyway, you can always go back to the doctor and ask for pills in smaller dosages--- adderall XR comes in 5mg, 10mg, 15mg, 25, & 30mg pills too. This way you could determine yourself if your dosage is too high *(by only taking a smaller dose) this is how I started. Also maybe if you take the same dose (20mg) XR with a 5mg or less IR kicker (at the same time), to so-called "kick" the XR into effect. this actually works quite nicely.. again you would need to speak with your doctor.
as for the 'diarrhea'..... on my usual daily schedule .... I still have to go, every day, about 10:10. which is about 1.5 hours after I take my dose. It sucks, its a bit uncomfortable, but its not all that bad, you get used to it. -- or at least that's me. ps. I also was on dexidrine for a time (xr&ir) and had similar effects... but possibly not as strong.
Old 01-11-09, 07:06 PM

morethanadiagno will become famous soon enough

Different people have different responses. For a long time 20mg. of AdderallXR worked amazingly here, but recently after taking a break I've felt a lot of what you described. My cousin who is 12 and also has ADHD had the same response as you to an extent that his mum had to take him off even though it was really helping him in school. Maybe you could talk with your doctor about adjusting the doesage or trying another stimulant? AdderallXR comes in doesages of 5, 10, 15, 20, and 30mg with most folks needing 20-30mg. to help. Different doesages work for different folks. Also there are many other ADHD meds out there.
~Jen
Old 01-11-09, 07:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,475 Times in 750 Posts
SuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant future

20 mlgrams knocks me out cold.

Syd Barrett
Old 01-13-09, 09:12 PM

Ok, day 5 on Adderall XR 20mg, and to tell you the truth is making me more tired/sluggish than helping with my ADD. Should I keep on taking it or stop and wait until I see my Dr. which is not until two more weeks. Is there any difference on how your body reacts to the IR versus the XR? I know we all react different but I'm just wondering if I would feel better taking the IR instead. Thanks again for your help.
Old 01-13-09, 11:48 PM

bgammill is on a distinguished road

Just keep taking it so your doctor will believe you more. Unless you're getting adverse side effects, just stick with your current dosing.

Old 01-14-09, 02:48 AM

Lord Powerbang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgammill View Post
Just keep taking it so your doctor will believe you more. Unless you're getting adverse side effects, just stick with your current dosing.
I agree with bgammill. But the sluggish feeling could be from the dose being too high.

I am prescribed 30MG XR and I didn't take it for a few weeks. I took it a few days ago and it made me really tired, but that may just be because I was deprived of sleep. Make sure you get at least 8 hours of sleep every night.
Old 01-14-09, 09:18 AM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

I get this sluggishness with adderall as well... How can you tell if the dose is too high and making you sluggish with the xr? I think trialing the ir would be easier to find the dose for these purposes. I've had great success when I found my dose on adderall but otherwise while adjusting I'm sluggish, I'll wait for the weekend to give it a shot I guess.
Old 01-20-09, 11:19 PM

demitriden will become famous soon enough

break the pill in half and eat/break the beads to take 10mg. it should be IR then.
Old 01-22-09, 12:25 AM
ADDvanced Member

elegy is a jewel in the roughelegy is a jewel in the roughelegy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by demitriden View Post
break the pill in half and eat/break the beads to take 10mg. it should be IR then.
Uhm, no. Please don't do this. Not only will it not be effective, it's also a form of misusing your medication.

Anyways, I'm on 20mgs XR, and I conk out right after I take it. Same with 40mgs. And 60mgs. So I guess amphetamines are just not for me, eh?

It's like taking a dang sleeping pill! I would be mad and frustrated, but I'm just too sleepy!

"I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it. "
Old 01-22-09, 09:11 AM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

elegy,

I once thought the same thing, I'm on concerta now but when adderall worked for me in the past about 3 years ago I took it for about 4 weeks before I started noticing the positive attributes. I was so sleepy for about 8 days , after a week almost two thats when I started feeling less sleepy and less on the go and content and focused. My guess is that your body has to adjust and the sleepy feeling is your body slowing down, once you adjust to the med which works differently than ritalin based mph meds then you get the positive effects. When adderall was working well, it was superior to mph. I haven't been able to last two weeks on adderall since I stopped taking it, I stopped because although it worked far better I had sleep issues on it, I probably should of just took it and got a sleeping pill. good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to hollywood For This Useful Post:
elegy (01-22-09)