ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-06-10, 05:45 PM

HEROES_4_GHOSTS is on a distinguished road
Re: Does Adderall XR make you sleepy/sluggish?

Hi all. I started my Adderall ER 15mg two days ago. I felt sooo sluggish afterwards. The last thing I wanted to do was study.

My insurance isn't the greatest, so I was sent to a place where some lady asked me a bunch of questions for about 30 minutes...just standard questions from a questionnaire on her computer. I went there because I know that I have ADD, not ADHD. I'm not hyper in any way, and I don't think I ever have been. I'm not impulsive either. Anyhoo, my appointment with the nurse psychotherapist was about month after, like Jan. 21, 2010. When I went, he didn't ask me a damn thing, he just dicided that I had an anxiety disorder. I explained to him that I only get anxious every now and then, just because I'm in nursing school, and it's VERY stressful, and this is my last semester. The source of my anxiety is that I HAVE to pass because I have a lot of family counting on me, I've failed out of two other nursing schools because of my ADD. So, he gave me samples of Strattera. Three bottles; 25mg, 40mg, 60mg, then an actual prescription for 80mg. Well, I was so excited! I was finally going to be able to focus and concentrate! But NOOOOO! My first 25mg dose, I was feeling so strange. Like I was under water and separate from the world and what was going on around me. The last thing I could do was study, or even drive a vehicle. Still, I continued and progressed to the 60mg. But I just couldn't take it. Even taking before bedtime wasn't helping. So I went back two weeks later to tell the nurse guy, and he wanted to give me an SSRI. I told him I didn't want to start with anything like that ever. He reluctantly prescribed the Adderall, and told me....."This is a schedule II med, and if you think you have ADD, I'll give it to you, but if you lose it, I don't want to know. Don't call me for another prescription".

Well, now, I'm afraid to call him and tell him of this crappy sleepiness. I can't concentrate and study like this. It's definitely not as bad as the Strattera though. But I feel like I have to drink a couple of 5 Hour Energy shots!

Anyone know what else is left? Do I have to give it a couple of weeks? Maybe I'm wrong and don't even have ADD, but severe lazziness/bad study habits. So many questions now. I never wanted to start meds in the first place, but after long consideration, I decided that I have to try if there's a possibility that it can help me. One of my classmates told me he had ADHD too. He told me that even if I'm not physically hyperactive, my BRAIN is, so much so, that I'm distracted and can't focus for very long periods, like a 4 hour lecture. He told me that instead of taking the typical meds, he smokes something from a hooka, and it really helps him! It's not an illegal substance, but that's definitely out of the question for me! LOL

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!
Old 02-15-10, 04:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

this is totally old , but how does this reply even relate to adderall.
Old 02-15-10, 06:16 PM

HEROES_4_GHOSTS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
this is totally old , but how does this reply even relate to adderall.
I posted here because the thread is called "Does Adderall XR make you sleepy/sluggish?".

I apologize if I went into too much detail, or broke any rules.

Peace
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-11, 07:17 PM

MedStudent82 has a spectacular aura aboutMedStudent82 has a spectacular aura about

Hi,

I am a 29 year-old male and just recently started taking adderall (10 mg IR) a week ago for adult ADHD, which started I think when I was in high school. I also am sluggish and get into thinking "tunnels" due to my dosage being too low.

First of all, my psychiatrist recommended immediate release 10 mg dosage for me to take every 4 hours instead of extended release (20 mg, which administers 10 mg immediately and then 10 mg later on, 8 hours total) to start because someone can have a bad side effect to a new drug, and at least an immediate release will be gone soon (~4 hrs for me).

I started off with a child's dose (5 mg) the first 3 days, just breaking them in half and using 5 mg twice a day (first thing in the morning when I wake up, and at lunchtime) because he said it's best to start low and scale up slowly. What I noticed the first days was that I was calm, still within my mind, and it seemed like a miracle drug. Normally, I get 1000 thoughts at once, am very energetic (now I realize it was bouts of hyperactivity), and am overly aware of my surroundings and people, have a tendency to talk too much (can't help it), and cut people off a lot (out of love . I also could never sit with myself alone and just be calm. I was constantly on the go because I always felt the pressing need to initiate actions that popped into my head (but never finish them because I always am distracted by other things that come up).

Starting adderall a week ago has had infinite pros and only a few cons (one being sluggish/tunnel-minded/clutsy). The pros are that I can continue and follow-throught with thoughts/actions with EASE (not just a little bit better, but completely easy now), am more still and calm with myself than I have been since I was a kid. Before I was a definite "people pleaser" -- I always would soften the blow of what I said by overcompensating/expressing my feelings or thinking of the 10 different ways in which someone would take things I said wrong. Now I speak more directly what is on my mind now and am confident without even trying (mostly because my attention is within my mind more, and less about the people around me, which was an attribute I never understood that I never had). It took everything for me to study long periods and I would get stressed out by the 1000 other thoughts/tasks while doing it and eat to feel better, and always had about 15- 20 extra pounds' weight because of it. Now I eat how I always wanted to without even thinking of eating junk food/more food to suppress my anxiety brought on by stress from tasks.

The cons? (What this whole thread is about -- sorry for the digression -- I'm still experiencing extreme/too much focus) I am sluggish (particularly in the mornings/early afternoons, tired, whatever you want to call it. It's as if taking 5 mg Adderall made me sleepier. I was fighting it at work (a research lab) along with the thinking "tunnel-vision". So day 4 I took the full 10 mg Adderall twice a day and felt a TON better. It brought my activity level up to how I used to feel before, with a slight tingly feeling of "euphoria" as they say, and the thinking "tunnel-vision" was still full on, but noticed less because I was more energetic.

But the last few days of this week I have noticed that the 10 mg I take in the morning, afternoon, and yesterday for the first time, at 3PM (in order for it to take effect until 8-9pm -- my peak hours I need to focus after work on my regular life's stuff), that it is awful in the morning (still very sluggish), but AMAZING after 3-4PM. I was not sluggish/tired, but felt GREAT/NORMAL. I don't know if this is because it is still too low of a dose (maybe I need to bump up to 15 mg or 20 mg in the morning, followed by the existing 10 mg in the afternoon?). I read some forums elsewhere that a full stomach might affect the efficacy/bioavailability of Adderall, particularly fatty meals (which I don't eat), but those studies I looked into were biased and carried out by competing pharmaceutical companies, and heresay from people like us making unqualified observations. But the directions for Adderall still say with or without food, meaning there is no significant difference (otherwise they usually report that in the directions).

What I'm trying to say is that I think our doses are too low (even though your post is from forever ago and you've probably moved on) and need to be bumped up either overall or just more heavily in the mornings/afternoons. I am going to go into my psychiatrist in two weeks for my next follow-up (3 week spread with him), and hear what he has to say. I might try 15 mg on my own one day to see how I feel (since 2 weeks seems like an eternity sometimes).
Old 05-08-11, 10:49 PM

mattskate19 is on a distinguished road

Hows your diet, water intake, and sleep?
Without proper nutrition your body has no energy to use.
Without water you become very tired, aches etc.
Without sleep once again your body specifically your brain has no energy.

Keep a high protein, high fat (EFA's), moderate *low* glycemic carbs.
Of course plenty of sleep and water!
Throw in a multi-vitamin/mineral before you go to bed and take a B-complex before taking Adderall or right whenever you get up in the morning.
Old 05-09-11, 12:54 AM

MedStudent82 has a spectacular aura aboutMedStudent82 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattskate19 View Post
Hows your diet, water intake, and sleep?
Without proper nutrition your body has no energy to use.
Without water you become very tired, aches etc.
Without sleep once again your body specifically your brain has no energy.

Keep a high protein, high fat (EFA's), moderate *low* glycemic carbs.
Of course plenty of sleep and water!
Throw in a multi-vitamin/mineral before you go to bed and take a B-complex before taking Adderall or right whenever you get up in the morning.
Hi mattskate19,

I assume your comment was directed at me, since I was the newest post in a year. It's funny because it's nighttime and the adderall has worn off and I'm reading my manifesto post and kind of impressed I wrote that in no time lol.

My diet is fairly balanced. My sleep is average or maybe just below avgerage, and my water in-take is so-so. I take a multi-vitamin supplement and omega-3 oil gelcap every morning for breakfast (usually oatmeal with protein powder mixed in and maybe an egg or two (or egg-beaters). For lunch I usually have a chicken sandwich (protein), sweet potato (starchy carb) and mixed veggies (fibrous carb). If I'm on the go I'll have a Nature's Own bar (relatively good ratio of protein/sugar). I've gotten 6-8 hours' sleep a night (usually 7) this past week on Adderall, so I think I was a little tired to begin with, which explains some of it, but the day I got plenty of sleep (9 hours Saturday where I felt amazing) really showed me how well I can be on Adderall. I got 7 hours last night, and barely felt anything today the 8 hours I was on it, just the "tunnel-vision" and slow alertness to jump from one thing to another (very fixated on one thing at a time) like usual.

I could stand to drink more water. I gave up coffee (used to live by my 16 oz coffee in the morning and sometimes around noon) and now have literally no need for it -- I feel fine enough without it some mornings after I took Adderall -- the thing is every morning/afternoon I never feel the good energy level as I did a couple late afternoons when it finally kicked in. I simply feel like it's this weird in-between dosage where it makes me feel calm and stuck on one or two things intensely, like I'm narrower in thought in the mornings and it's difficult to multi-task things, jump from one task to the next easily/ plan a bunch of things at once. On the other hand, the afternoons when the 10 mg kicked in I had this great energy level to help manage the tunnel vision and felt like this was the way I was finally supposed to think every day of my life from now on. Until I have my dosage increased I won't know if this is my answer yet, but I hope so. I've never felt more calm/still and thoughtful/at peace with myself in over a decade. I'm realizing my inner potential I never thought I would, and it means everything to me... it's insane how I never knew how my life's destructive pattern and how it could change because of a neurological condition. Never once occurred to me.

So, I'll take your advice, drink more water, start adding omega-6's to my supplemental regimine, and switch multi-vitamins to nighttime before bed, as well as add B-complex before adderall doses and see what happens.

Are you also taking Adderall? How long have you been taking it for?

Thanks for the advice and goodnight! Need a full night's sleep!
The Following User Says Thank You to MedStudent82 For This Useful Post:
tired1823 (05-09-11)
Old 05-09-11, 01:00 AM
Banned

Thanked 2,738 Times in 1,615 Posts
tired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to behold

This is just my perspective, but sometimes adderall is great at first, but after a while it's like your evil twin. make a list of the things you love about your life and yourself right now and a list about the things you dont like (pre adderall list that is)
If in a year you are still taking adderall look back on the list and see if you've lost or gained anything bc of the meds. This will help with cognitive dissonance in the future. Adderall is a psychotropic drug afterall so be ready for changes. especially with the higher doses.
Old 05-09-11, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliee View Post
This is just my perspective, but sometimes adderall is great at first, but after a while it's like your evil twin. make a list of the things you love about your life and yourself right now and a list about the things you dont like (pre adderall list that is)
If in a year you are still taking adderall look back on the list and see if you've lost or gained anything bc of the meds. This will help with cognitive dissonance in the future. Adderall is a psychotropic drug afterall so be ready for changes. especially with the higher doses.
That's good advice, Alliee, thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to MedStudent82 For This Useful Post:
tired1823 (05-09-11)
Old 09-13-12, 11:22 AM

MSMSMS is on a distinguished road

First thing, because I want the most recent posters to read it (not to be obnoxious, I promise), you do NOT want to take a multivitamin before bed. This can cause a UTI or worse, a bladder infection. If you don't want to take it in the morning with breakfast, take it with your lunch! They should always be taken with food anyway.

Ok, so... yeah. Day 2 on Adderall and I am SO TIRED. I took 5 mg IR yesterday morning and may have noticed some effects (outside of fatigue/sleepiness), but it may have been psychosomatic. Then in the afternoon, I took another 5 mg and that feeling came back again. I ordered what I thought would be an herbal raspberry iced tea, but no, it was raspberry black tea. I figured, "Well, I feel like I'm about to fall asleep. Let's see what it does."

I felt a million times better, but then had trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep last night. I'm pretty sure that it was the tea, because that would normally be a problem for me, having caffeine so late in the day.

Today, by Dr.'s orders, I took 10 mg IR in the morning. Again got that tired, tunnelly feeling described by another poster.

Tomorrow is still 10 mg, then the following day is upped to 15. Hoping that will do the trick, because if I have to take mind altering substances, I'd rather it be only one and not two (I'm including caffeine).
Old 09-13-12, 10:13 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Zevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud of

I take 20mg XR in the afternoon. It worked great yesterday, and this afternoon. But now I'm sleepy this evening. But then so is my NT husband. So it could just be a normal low energy point of my day?