ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-19-09, 10:07 AM

Undiestainz is on a distinguished road
Adderall + Magnesium

Guys/Gals,

What would be the ideal suppl. dosage of magnesium when taking 40mg/daily adderall?

Just wondering.... and thnx.
Old 01-19-09, 12:05 PM

bgammill is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall + Magnesium

Found you a help thread. Hope you find your answer. http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...ight=magnesium

Old 01-19-09, 12:16 PM
Contributor

The ADHD Fan is a glorious beacon of lightThe ADHD Fan is a glorious beacon of lightThe ADHD Fan is a glorious beacon of lightThe ADHD Fan is a glorious beacon of lightThe ADHD Fan is a glorious beacon of light

The thread listed in the above post is a good one. I'd check it out, but here are a few other pointers. There are some other factors (including the medication taken) that can influence your necessary magnesium levels. These include gender (estrogen actually helps magnesium retention, so women typically require less), and the presence of comorbid disorders, such as Tourette's, anxiety, etc. In addition B vitamin levels and intake also play a role. Here are a few articles on Magnesium and ADHD, if you're interested in a bit more info. It doesn't give a specific amount for particular Adderall doses, but it lists guidelines, and has a link to a table for recommended magnesium amounts based on some of these other factors.
The Following User Says Thank You to The ADHD Fan For This Useful Post:
Undiestainz (01-19-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-09, 01:38 PM

bgammill, you da man ;-)
Old 01-19-09, 01:39 PM

both, thank you, good stuff,... "oh something shiny...BYE!!!" heheheh
Old 08-16-13, 07:41 AM

alliekittie is on a distinguished road

I am currently prescribed 60 mgs Adderall, (3) 1 mg Xanax, and 50 mgs of Seroquel per day. The best way for that I have found to maintain your Adderall is to do the following...In the mornings when I get up, I drink a glass of water with 2 Calcium only TUMS, and 2 (200 mg's) of 100% chelated, high absorption Magnesium (fully reacted, NOT buffered!) --The brand is called Doctor's Best and you can purchase a bottle for like $15 or less at GNC. After my shower, I pop 2 Adderalls, and drink my caffeine cause I HAVE TO HAVE my caffeine! I don't care what people on here say...it does help intensify the effects....

Around 1:00 I take my last dose of Adderall which tends to keep me up VERY late and I never want to go to bed! So...at NIGHT, when I'm ready to get in bed, I pop (2) 1 mg Xanax and a 1/4-1/2 of my 50 mg Seroquel, and my last dose of (2) 200 mgs of Magnesium-- (I TRY NOT to take the Seroquel every night--3 nights a week is what I should be doing so I don't have to go up on that dose.

What I have found is with this cocktail for my Adderall is that is COMPLETELY levels me out during the day. The Xanax and Seroquel build up in your system I have this to be the perfect balancing concoction for my Adderall. Not so many dips and valleys, no anxiety, very focused, my thinking is clear as as BELL, I can talk for hours as my job requires it...very happy!

I have recently added the Magnesium just THIS WEEK, by the way and I want you to KNOW that it DOES IN FACT make you FEEL as if you took WAYYY more Adderall than you really did. Try the brand I recommended and PLEASE take the advice of other posters on here that mention NOT buying Magnesium Citrate. Again, anything with citric acid in it is going to negatively affect your Adderall.

The biggest problem that I have being on Adderall is that I simply CANNOT eat!!!!!!! It is horrible! I haven't eaten but once in 3 days with the exception of a good protein shake tonight (Body By Vi--which is soy based). I do notice a huge difference in the appearance of my skin when I am on Adderall and I pretty sure it is more due to my LACK of diet and sleep.

This is my first post on here but I have been reading this forum for many years. I love this site, I think it is amazing, and have gotten so much advice out of here, I just wanted to share my experience with you guys because I noticed out of everything I have ever looked up, I have yet to find anyone taking the exact same drugs as me. If you are looking for a way to balance out your Adderall---DEFINITELY be on a BENZO (except Ativan it SUCKS BIG TIME) such as Xanax, Klonopin, or Valium, Try a low dose of Seroquel about every other; to about every other 2 nights, and your MAGNESIUM! Take ALL of these things listed AT NIGHT! The NECESSARY residual effects of those combined couldn't be MORE perfect for getting the MOST out of your Adderall experience whatever that may be!!

Also does anyone have any better dosing ideas for me? Instead of starting off the day like I do with 2, and then adding the last addy at 3 --How else would you recommend dosing it without losing the effects? I would LOVE to be able to get to bed before 2 am. AND LASTLY, any suggestions about EATING!? How do I make myself eat and what do I eat when I cant chew that's healthy besides shakes? I need GOOOOD suggestions, not BASICS if you have ideas, please let me know!

LOVE THIS SITE!

Last edited by alliekittie; 08-16-13 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: adding to stuff
Old 08-20-13, 11:33 PM
Jr Member

Natethagr8 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliekittie View Post
I am currently prescribed 60 mgs Adderall, (3) 1 mg Xanax, and 50 mgs of Seroquel per day. The best way for that I have found to maintain your Adderall is to do the following...In the mornings when I get up, I drink a glass of water with 2 Calcium only TUMS, and 2 (200 mg's) of 100% chelated, high absorption Magnesium (fully reacted, NOT buffered!) --The brand is called Doctor's Best and you can purchase a bottle for like $15 or less at GNC. After my shower, I pop 2 Adderalls, and drink my caffeine cause I HAVE TO HAVE my caffeine! I don't care what people on here say...it does help intensify the effects....

Around 1:00 I take my last dose of Adderall which tends to keep me up VERY late and I never want to go to bed! So...at NIGHT, when I'm ready to get in bed, I pop (2) 1 mg Xanax and a 1/4-1/2 of my 50 mg Seroquel, and my last dose of (2) 200 mgs of Magnesium-- (I TRY NOT to take the Seroquel every night--3 nights a week is what I should be doing so I don't have to go up on that dose.

What I have found is with this cocktail for my Adderall is that is COMPLETELY levels me out during the day. The Xanax and Seroquel build up in your system I have this to be the perfect balancing concoction for my Adderall. Not so many dips and valleys, no anxiety, very focused, my thinking is clear as as BELL, I can talk for hours as my job requires it...very happy!

I have recently added the Magnesium just THIS WEEK, by the way and I want you to KNOW that it DOES IN FACT make you FEEL as if you took WAYYY more Adderall than you really did. Try the brand I recommended and PLEASE take the advice of other posters on here that mention NOT buying Magnesium Citrate. Again, anything with citric acid in it is going to negatively affect your Adderall.

The biggest problem that I have being on Adderall is that I simply CANNOT eat!!!!!!! It is horrible! I haven't eaten but once in 3 days with the exception of a good protein shake tonight (Body By Vi--which is soy based). I do notice a huge difference in the appearance of my skin when I am on Adderall and I pretty sure it is more due to my LACK of diet and sleep.

This is my first post on here but I have been reading this forum for many years. I love this site, I think it is amazing, and have gotten so much advice out of here, I just wanted to share my experience with you guys because I noticed out of everything I have ever looked up, I have yet to find anyone taking the exact same drugs as me. If you are looking for a way to balance out your Adderall---DEFINITELY be on a BENZO (except Ativan it SUCKS BIG TIME) such as Xanax, Klonopin, or Valium, Try a low dose of Seroquel about every other; to about every other 2 nights, and your MAGNESIUM! Take ALL of these things listed AT NIGHT! The NECESSARY residual effects of those combined couldn't be MORE perfect for getting the MOST out of your Adderall experience whatever that may be!!

Also does anyone have any better dosing ideas for me? Instead of starting off the day like I do with 2, and then adding the last addy at 3 --How else would you recommend dosing it without losing the effects? I would LOVE to be able to get to bed before 2 am. AND LASTLY, any suggestions about EATING!? How do I make myself eat and what do I eat when I cant chew that's healthy besides shakes? I need GOOOOD suggestions, not BASICS if you have ideas, please let me know!

LOVE THIS SITE!
I recently started body building about a year ago. Despite being on adderall I've been able to force feed myself 5-7 meals a day of healthy carbs, proteins, and fats. It tastes like crap, but I still get it down. I've gained about 15 pounds.

With adderall the more you eat, the easier it gets. The more you put it off, the harder it gets. Try eating meals like soup or cereal if you can't chew your food haha. Bottom line is nobody is gonna force it down for you...

Trust me I know where you are coming from, but if you don't eat and get enough sleep, it will catch up to you and give you all sorts of health issues.
Old 08-30-13, 09:51 AM
Jr Member

Chris John is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliekittie View Post

LOVE THIS SITE!
Alliekittie how long have you been doing this routine? It sounds interesting and similar to something I was going to do. I was taking calcium citrate in the morning to gasify my system but got bad results with that. How do the tums work? And you said they're pure calcium?
Old 08-30-13, 04:27 PM
Jr Member

Chris John is on a distinguished road

I meant to say "baseify" my system which isn't even a word, so I can see why I was autocorrected. Also, I've been thinking about the tums idea and wouldn't it be better to just take more adderall? The reason your taking the tums is to get more adderall in your system which you could also do by taking more adderall. And if you just took more adderall, you could avoid dumping large amounts of elemental ca in your stomach on a daily basis. I can't imagine this is healthy.

I'd like hear how taking the magnesium in the morning goes though, since this would in theory amplify the adderall because of its nmda antagonistic properties. Also might reduce tolerance buildup. Right now I just take magnesium at night to limit tolerance buildup.

Concerning your question about how to get to sleep easier. The only ideas I can think of are: try IR, take it earlier, or skip/lessen the second dose.
Old 09-02-13, 12:02 AM
ADDvanced Member

MusiciansWish has a spectacular aura aboutMusiciansWish has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undiestainz View Post
Guys/Gals,

What would be the ideal suppl. dosage of magnesium when taking 40mg/daily adderall?

Just wondering.... and thnx.
I'm just going to be direct with this one. It depends on your age. How much you need is dependent on your age.

Here's a supplement guide for you...this should help you out a great deal.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-su...uide-magnesium
Old 09-02-13, 02:43 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,364 Times in 7,823 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I take magnesium at night because it helps me sleep.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?