ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-21-09, 02:40 PM

PolkaDotCom is on a distinguished road
Adderall Not Helping Focus

I'm on 10mg XR, which I take around 10a.m. each day, and it's not helping my focus at all, which then makes me anxious that I'm not focusing. It's better with 20mg, but not by much.

It helps me in every other way it's supposed to, though. Patience, irritability, control of emotions, impulsivity.

What gives? Could this not be the Rx for me?
Old 01-22-09, 01:29 PM

backwoods is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall Not Helping Focus

My doc started me on 20mg Adderall XR daily and it helped only very little for focusing/attention span. A couple of weeks ago he upped it to 30mg and it works A LOT better than 20 did.

edit: I would advise against taking double the dosage you were prescribed without your doctor knowing because he may decide to up your dose on your next visit which would be a waist of time and money because you already did it yourself. It took 4 doctor visits over 3 1/2 months before my doc put me on 30 mg Adderall XR, so you have to have patience while you and your doctor try to get your meds right.
Old 01-22-09, 04:45 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

gnbeg has a spectacular aura aboutgnbeg has a spectacular aura about
Re: Adderall Not Helping Focus

I'm on my first week of taking Adderall XR, 20mg. I would have to agree that it does not help that much with focus.

It helps me in other ways... I have more energy and motivation. I am generally in a better mood. A little more outgoing which is helping me get things done. Before, instead of talk to people, I'd just procrastinate.

So it is helping overall, but not with focus. At least not what I expected or hoped. It will be a couple more weeks before I see my psy. I'm hoping he bumps my dosage up. If I take 20mg, it seems to wear off around noon. Then I get a little foggy as others have described.

Hope this helps...
Sponsored Links