ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 01-30-09, 04:36 PM

ec91199 is on a distinguished road
Food/drinks to increase Vyvanse effectiveness?

hello, i am 18 and was very recently diagnosed with ADD and prescribed vyvanse 50mg.
The first day on it i took the pill right when waking up with only water and no food, which turned out to be very effective. even though my doctor recommended taking it with a big breakfast, i looked online a little and read that vyvanse works best on an empty stomach.

i decided that taking it every morning on am empty stomach is not the healthiest of ideas since my appetite in general has been greatly reduced, and breakfast seems like the one meal i can get a lot of calories in before the vyvanse takes away my hunger for a large portion of the day.

the next morning i took the pill with water and a water protein shake, since i read that protein can increase vyvanse's effectiveness, but that day i barely felt the effects and what i did feel was shortlived. (this may be due to a large amount of vitamins including vitamin C in the protein powder. it is the "muscle milk" brand)

so basically i was wondering, if you have experience with vyvanse, what foods or drinks taken with the pill or shortly after can intensify and help the effects last longer? maybe a different protein powder with less vitamins and more protein? and is acidity good or bad? thanks for any info!
Old 01-30-09, 09:06 PM

ilostmybeer will become famous soon enough
Re: Food/drinks to increase Vyvanse effectiveness?

oddly enough, i took the Vyvanse this morning with a yogurt and had the best coverage I have experienced yet.
Old 01-30-09, 09:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

Killface1981 will become famous soon enough

Vyvanse was garbage for me... it also caused stomach pains and if I drank any alcohol on it, I'd be runnin for the toilet no matter where I was. It also gave me absolutely no energy, but I could pay attention to conversations better and at least act somewhat interested.

I think they're pushing it on the market to stop abuse of most ADHD meds(and to make a ton of money.)

If you tell your doctor about the bad side effects(with some of the good) you might get lucky and be put on Dexedrine. It's been up and down on it so far but it's working better than Adderall was after the effects had attenuated due to a few years use.

My psych was totally against give me dex but he finally gave in. Adderall wasn't cutting it anymore and Ritalin is the worst garbage I've ever put in my body.

Avoid alcohol and citrus drinks...
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-09, 10:37 PM

Captain Obvious has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Obvious has a spectacular aura about

Vitamins in general, except for Vitamin C, actually help Vyvanse to work, at least for me. High quality protein is essential, but don't forget carbs and healthy fats, too.

In my experience, diet doesn't really effect Vyvanse for me (with the exception of, say, orange juice). Cause it's in the GI tract for so long and it's extended release, you really can't eat a certain thing at a certain time to improve its effectiveness.

However, one of the best things you can do to improve vyvanse effectiveness is to take some B-6 (maybe 50-100mg) when you take your vyvanse. B-6 is very important in getting proteins across the blood brain barrier and in transforming certain ones like tyrosine into norepinephrine and dopamine.

In short:

+b-6 = +NE +DA => better motivation and concentration

Also, it's worthwhile to take a good multi (even though it has Vitamin C, most multis have very low dose VC and thus won't do much to hurt your Vyvanse effectiveness).

B-complexes (besides the independent b-6 dosage) are wonderful for cognition. They don't necessarily make Vyvanse work better directly, but they improve cognition and overall brain health, which WILL make it seem like Vyvanse is working better.

Also, as far as Vitamin C goes, I take a non-acidic form of Vitamin C. You can find them in most vitamin or drug stores. It's usually an esterified form. You'll know it when you see it cause it will advertize (STOMACH-FRIENDLY!) or (THE BETTER VIT C).

Last, get a good source of Magnesium. Very important. Not those magnesium oxide pills you find at most vitamin shops. Horrible absorption (not sure exactly, but it's somewhere around only 10-20%). Look in the laxatives section and you'll find some stuff called Magnesium Citrate. It has much better absorption. 2-3 tablespoons of this stuff per day will work. Magnesium is important cause it actually reduces some of the side-effects (anxiety, hypertension) and also slows tolerance to the drug. So the same dose works at the same effectiveness for much longer. It helps to avoid the "it worked great for a week but now I don't feel a thing" syndrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface1981 View Post
Vyvanse was garbage for me... it also caused stomach pains and if I drank any alcohol on it, I'd be runnin for the toilet no matter where I was. It also gave me absolutely no energy, but I could pay attention to conversations better and at least act somewhat interested.

I think they're pushing it on the market to stop abuse of most ADHD meds(and to make a ton of money.)

If you tell your doctor about the bad side effects(with some of the good) you might get lucky and be put on Dexedrine. It's been up and down on it so far but it's working better than Adderall was after the effects had attenuated due to a few years use.

My psych was totally against give me dex but he finally gave in. Adderall wasn't cutting it anymore and Ritalin is the worst garbage I've ever put in my body.

Avoid alcohol and citrus drinks...
Now, I'm not certain of this, but it's probably cause your doctor didn't know how to dose it correctly. Way too many doctors underdose Vyvanse (mine included, before I finally convinced him). It's a new thing out on the market, and the FDA has set their recommendations for it way too low IMO. Over time, you'll start to see higher dosage prescriptions and doctors will be more comfortable with it.

I like Vyvanse (now that I'm on a high enough dose) cause it's smooth and doesn't have any major peaks and valleys. I kinda wish it kicked in faster, though. And it definitely doesn't last the full 12 hours as advertized. But overall, it's a good quality medication, and it's usage will get better with time as more people have experience with it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:
Addelerious (02-02-09), davoidone (02-20-11), FrazzleDazzle (02-02-09), ilostmybeer (01-30-09), Kasechka (03-10-11), myvinyl333 (04-01-10), TimeToTry (01-26-10)
Old 01-30-09, 11:56 PM

ilostmybeer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Vitamins in general, except for Vitamin C, actually help Vyvanse to work, at least for me. High quality protein is essential, but don't forget carbs and healthy fats, too.

In my experience, diet doesn't really effect Vyvanse for me (with the exception of, say, orange juice). Cause it's in the GI tract for so long and it's extended release, you really can't eat a certain thing at a certain time to improve its effectiveness.

However, one of the best things you can do to improve vyvanse effectiveness is to take some B-6 (maybe 50-100mg) when you take your vyvanse. B-6 is very important in getting proteins across the blood brain barrier and in transforming certain ones like tyrosine into norepinephrine and dopamine.

In short:

Also, it's worthwhile to take a good multi (even though it has Vitamin C, most multis have very low dose VC and thus won't do much to hurt your Vyvanse effectiveness).

B-complexes (besides the independent b-6 dosage) are wonderful for cognition. They don't necessarily make Vyvanse work better directly, but they improve cognition and overall brain health, which WILL make it seem like Vyvanse is working better.

Also, as far as Vitamin C goes, I take a non-acidic form of Vitamin C. You can find them in most vitamin or drug stores. It's usually an esterified form. You'll know it when you see it cause it will advertize (STOMACH-FRIENDLY!) or (THE BETTER VIT C).

Last, get a good source of Magnesium. Very important. Not those magnesium oxide pills you find at most vitamin shops. Horrible absorption (not sure exactly, but it's somewhere around only 10-20%). Look in the laxatives section and you'll find some stuff called Magnesium Citrate. It has much better absorption. 2-3 tablespoons of this stuff per day will work. Magnesium is important cause it actually reduces some of the side-effects (anxiety, hypertension) and also slows tolerance to the drug. So the same dose works at the same effectiveness for much longer. It helps to avoid the "it worked great for a week but now I don't feel a thing" syndrome.

Now, I'm not certain of this, but it's probably cause your doctor didn't know how to dose it correctly. Way too many doctors underdose Vyvanse (mine included, before I finally convinced him). It's a new thing out on the market, and the FDA has set their recommendations for it way too low IMO. Over time, you'll start to see higher dosage prescriptions and doctors will be more comfortable with it.

I like Vyvanse (now that I'm on a high enough dose) cause it's smooth and doesn't have any major peaks and valleys. I kinda wish it kicked in faster, though. And it definitely doesn't last the full 12 hours as advertized. But overall, it's a good quality medication, and it's usage will get better with time as more people have experience with it.

good info, how long does it take to kick in for you. 45 minutes after I take it, i am able to feel it.
Old 01-31-09, 02:03 AM

Captain Obvious has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Obvious has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilostmybeer View Post
good info, how long does it take to kick in for you. 45 minutes after I take it, i am able to feel it.
I can "feel" it in an hour, but nothing reasonably effective is felt for two hours. Seems to peak at 3-4 hours, and then verrrry slowly goes down, over a period of another 4 hours or so. I take a "booster dose" of 15 mg Adderall 8 hours after my Vyvanse.

I LIKE TO TALK WITH BOLD LETTERS AND IN RED!!! ITS MUCH MORE FUN!!

Why the hell does everybody list their medication regimen in their sig?

Here's mine:

Drugs! xxxmg
Drugs! xxxmg
Drugs! xxxmg
Old 02-01-09, 10:26 AM

startsomething is on a distinguished road

Good info, seems helpful.. I'm gonna try some of those vitamins out and see if it helps me.

I just got prescribed Vyvanse 50mg after being diagnosed with ADD for the first time. My first dose was right after my prescription was written and filled, Thursday at 6pm (yeah, I ignored the warning that it'd keep you up if taken too late - but I was anxious to try it). Taken on a somewhat empty stomach, and combined with 5-HTP, a serotonin balancer, I had taken earlier. At first I experienced some anxiety and hypertension, I think mainly because I didn't know what to expect, but I was on my way to band practice and let me just say this - when it finally kicked in I've never had that good of a feeling on a drug. Playing music on Vyvanse was one of the best feelings I've ever had. In fact I literally didn't stop playing from about 9:00 until 1:30am because I was filled with so many ideas and was working on a new song. It made me feel very creative, confident and social. Every 30 mins or so I would experience some more anxiety, and I had to take a couple Valerian roots (basically herbal xanax) to calm myself down but I still think that was just the first time jitters. I didn't stop feeling the effects until about noon the next day.

Since I took my first dose so late, I decided to skip the next day because I wanted to start over a new routine taking it in the morning. Otherwise I would've had to take it at 6pm again to keep with the routine. Saturday at 10am I took my 2nd dose after having a small breakfast with a full glass of orange juice, and I felt some slight effects for about 20 mins and then it pretty much went away! In fact, for the rest of the day I kind of felt out of it and slightly irritable which I thought was really weird. How could I go from feeling on top of the world to being out of it, pretty much the opposite effect? Was it the orange juice? Skipping the dose? Or is it that I went up to the mountains for the weekend on Friday and my body was still trying to adjust to the high altitude? Every time I come up my body is really exhausted for the first night and next day. I should note that not long after taking the 2nd dose, I went hiking for about an hour and a half on a semi-strenuous trail. I'm thinking my body had too much to deal with and that's why the effect wasn't the same.
Old 02-01-09, 10:57 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough

Unlike other amphetamines, Vyvanse is not effected by acidity in the GI tract. Low pH beverages (cola drinks especially) will drastically reduce the initial absorption of orally taken amphetamine (Adderall and Dexedrine).

Vyvanse bypasses all of this since digestion occurs in the small intestine after the Pancreas releases trypsin. Trypsin cleaves the lysine off and allows the amphetamine to be released into the blood stream. All of this happens in the small intestine where pH levels are always back towards a more neutral level (since the intstinal tract cannot handle acidic conditions).

Drink your juice and/or soda as you wish. It won't effect Vyvanse at all.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JR1973 For This Useful Post:
Anna3000 (12-17-11), gatorADDe (02-07-12), shining (05-07-10)
Old 02-02-09, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1973 View Post
Vyvanse bypasses all of this since digestion occurs in the small intestine after the Pancreas releases trypsin. Trypsin cleaves the lysine off and allows the amphetamine to be released into the blood stream. All of this happens in the small intestine where pH levels are always back towards a more neutral level (since the intstinal tract cannot handle acidic conditions).
Trypsin! Holy crap! That's what it is! I've always wanted to know what specifically your body did to metabolize it. Could never find it in any of the texts. Where did you learn that?

I LIKE TO TALK WITH BOLD LETTERS AND IN RED!!! ITS MUCH MORE FUN!!

Why the hell does everybody list their medication regimen in their sig?

Here's mine:

Drugs! xxxmg
Drugs! xxxmg
Drugs! xxxmg
Old 03-30-10, 05:57 PM

handle_this is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Food/drinks to increase Vyvanse effectiveness?

I'm quite curious to know exactly which enzymes are responsible for hydrolyzing vyvanse into dextroamphetamine and lysine, but I'd suspect that the common digestive enzymes (including trypsin) are involved in addition to the numerous non-specific esterases expressed in the GI tract. Please post any references that you're aware of. Thanks!
Old 03-31-10, 01:03 AM
Contributor

CalmTheChaos has a spectacular aura aboutCalmTheChaos has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1973 View Post
Unlike other amphetamines, Vyvanse is not effected by acidity in the GI tract. Low pH beverages (cola drinks especially) will drastically reduce the initial absorption of orally taken amphetamine (Adderall and Dexedrine).

Drink your juice and/or soda as you wish. It won't effect Vyvanse at all.

This is not entirely true of Vyvanse.

Lots of acidity and lots of Vitamin C will both pull the Vyvanse out of your system faster, even if it has already been fully absorbed.

If you ever get too physically stimulated by the meds, you can "bring yourself down" with juice and C.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalmTheChaos For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (03-31-10), shandiggie (08-24-12)
Old 03-31-10, 10:32 AM

herplover is on a distinguished road

I am happy to hear all of you help with all of us "newbies" to the long list of available meds; my stepson tried several different meds for his treatment before becoming the most successful on vyvanse; after seeing such an improvement in his school and social interactions I decided to discuss options with my doc to try and get myself diagnosed. I find myself not having hobbies or losing interest in things quickly after I start them, or just randomly changing subjects. I have been on Vyvanse for about 3 months (started on 40mg and titrated up to my current 70mg) along with 50mg of Zoloft for my GAD & history of panic attacks; which have drastically subsided; although after starting the Vyvanse I started to experience a type of anxiety (but only driving oddly enough) so the Dr. suggested I up the Zoloft to 100mg. Which has been helpful; but I feel like I need MORE focus I love the slow release of Vyvanse and don't want to experience that high feeling or take the risk of triggering the anxiety or panic attacks by switching to something stronger? Anyone have any suggestions? I want to discuss my options with my Dr. but would like to take some suggestions to the table when I go. We all now Vyvanse is not a cheap drug and the insurance does not want to cover alot of ADHD meds.
Just a side note - you can go to www.vyvanse.com and they have a $50.00 coupon off your RX.
Old 04-02-10, 05:03 PM

dividebyzero is on a distinguished road

On days you need it to go further but don't want to redose you can just stay away from anything acidic and even drink some water with a teaspoon of baking soda in it (you can do it a couple times throughout the day, I do it after the peak).

Some people say tums but all that calcium isn't really good for the kidneys in the long term. The sodium bicarb (baking soda) pretty much just has sodium in it to worry about, so if you're hypertensive or whatever then don't try it. Almost all of the amphetamine is excreted unchanged in the urine and urinary pH has an immense effect on the drugs excretion and by taking baking soda you will in turn raise your urinary pH causing less of the amp to be excreted thereby extending the effects.

I have read however that people felt like the amphetamine wore off when in fact their blood levels were still very high, so the brain adapts to it rather quickly too.
Old 02-19-11, 09:55 AM
Jr Member

ADHD Me will become famous soon enough

So are non-acidic forms of Vitamin C OK? I eat a lot of salads, especially with Kale, which contains Vitamin C. I sometimes even eat them for breakfast. Kale has lots of protein in it, so I figure it may be good in combination with the medicine at some level.

I really don't want to give up my salads. Is Vitamin C in that form OK with Vyvanse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post

In short:

Old 11-21-11, 01:58 AM

Inception is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by startsomething View Post
Good info, seems helpful.. I'm gonna try some of those vitamins out and see if it helps me.
I like how everyone chose to avoid what this person has posted and continued to discuss everything but the elephant in the room in her post....addiction. As soon as I read "I have never had that good of a feeling on a drug" I knew this was going to be hard to comment to you and everyone who defends prescribing d-amphetamine for ADD/ADHD(most people on this forum).

HERE is why you didnt feel the same way the 2nd time you took it after waiting a day from the first time. D-Amphetamine(active ingredient) is prescribed speed, more so chemically resembling methamphetamine than oxycontin, dillaudid, or fentanyl resemble heroin....On this forum you will hear everyone complaining about adderall(d-amph and l-amph) and vyvanse(d-amphetamine) losing its effectiveness or as some addicts will plain admit tolerance.

The reason its not good the 2nd time as it was the 1st time when everything felt the best to you it ever has is because all drugs do this(thats what keeps people coming back and upping there use of the drug to counteract the tolerance that develops with narcotic use(yes vyvanse is a DEA schedule II drug, classified as highly addictive and a controlled substance ie narcotic)

What you described in your message is not what adhd meds are supposed to do, they are not supposed to bring you euphoria better than any other drug you have taken as you put it. I would advise you ASAP to get on another ADHD med thats not amphetamine based like desoxyn with its active ingredient of Methamphetamine Hydrochloride aka prescribed methamphetamine.

GOOD JOB Pharmaceuticals lobbyists and pharma sales for masking your narcotic peddling under the cloak of medicine to allow addiction to arise and great some doctors for taking benefits(travel for prescribing meds and luxurious golf outings and 5 star hotels). I guess the amino acid lysine being attached to d-amphetamine warrants a backdoor way to get around the end of pharmaceutical giant Shire's monopoly of being only company allowed to manufacture adderal. More interesting is that shire who developed Lisdexamphetamine(vyvanes) now has exclusive rights to being the only company able to sell vyvanse. Fun fact Shire's annual revenue off Adderall XR is 1.1 Billion and vyvanse currently is pulling in 318.9 million. The fact that Shire is able to sell vyvanse at a much higher price than its identical twin dexedrine because it has a an amino acid to prevent recreational abuse by snorting it or iv'ing it is bs. If you pop more than recommended you will achieve the feelings the poster I quote has described as best feeling from drug eve.

The big finale kicker is that Shire has carefully chose to brand Vyvanse's main active ingredient Lisdexamphetamine, a similar name to d-amphetamine but just enough to not be associated with the addiction and recreational abuse d-amphetamine has caused in its past.

Sorry for any typos. Wrote this real quick and didnt have type to properally cite my claims but had to draw from my memory from everything Ive read before.

Sadly its all true, just google and dont read biased opinions on the internet including mine. Look at the facts and make your own judgement but I am tired of everyone always complaining about tolerance and not getting that same feeling. If thats how you are feeling then you need to get off because that is a sign of addiction. If you get bad anxiety from the amphetamine based meds get the heck off them and dont add more narcotics by taking schedule IV drugs such as xanax, klonopin, ativan, valium etc(there are many other benzodiazepine drugs prescribed but I cant draw all the names without going to the search engine).

I have to get bed and wasnt going to post anything but seeing what this girl wrote and how everyone ignored the clear signs of a what sadly appeared to foreshadow a direct route to dependence on this "medicine". Sorry Im going to tell it how it really is if u feel depressed not on it or tired, or unmotivated than your DEPENDENT and that is classified as addiction. IF you start upping your dosage on your own or change doctors because your doctor wont prescribe more or take vyvanse with an instant release amphetamine salt(adderall) than your 110% a drug addict with a serious substance abuse.

Dont believe me?

When your vyvanse wears off do you get angry? sad? anxious? disengaged with others? Does your vyvanse make you enjoy things more?

I mean I have ADHD just like you guys all do but the 1st time I took 70 mgs of vyvanse I wasnt supposed to all the sudden change my favorite interest from watching football and hanging friends to reading and cleaning. Yes at first it made me an already personal person even more talkative but after awhile I just became completely isolated. Just a heads up.

Last edited by BR549; 11-21-11 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: paragraph breaks for easy reading/removed comments