ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 02-01-09, 06:26 AM

althea999 is on a distinguished road
Help: How to stop taking Strattera

I am on day 14 of strattera. I am 27/f and the side effects are too much to handle. The first seven days I was on 18mg and the next seven were 40mg. I am supposed to start taking 60mg on Monday...

I have one 40mg pill left.

I just curious... before I go call my doctor tomorrow (on Superbowl Sunday)...

Can any of you tell me your experiences with how you came off of Strattera? I am not going onto another medication nor am I taking anything else but Strattera... So if you have any information it would be wonderful if you could share it.

I have read through a lot of threads on here and a lot of people seem to say you can just quit taking Strattera without any nasty side effects. Then I have read else where that you should step down off of medication (although this was not specific to Strattera).

Please help.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-09, 07:11 AM

CaucusRace will become famous soon enough
Re: Help: How to stop taking Strattera

I trialled Strattera last year, for about four weeks. I increased dosage weekly up to 80 mg, but stopped because it turned out to be more expensive than I thought it was. I just stopped cold turkey, and there wasn't any side effects. I didn't have any withdrawal. The only thing was some of the positive effects I noticed from the Strattera went away, but that's to be expected.

So anyway, short story is, there wasn't any adverse effects when I stopped Strattera. The only thing my doctor said was to wait two days before starting back on my usual Dexedrine. I don't know if he was just being cautious, or if he thought there was a risk of the two drugs interacting in a bad way. That's probably good idea though if you want to be careful, avoid powerful medications for a few days after you stop. I takes up to about two days for Strattera to clear out of the system.
Old 02-01-09, 11:20 AM
Contributor

fxfake will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by althea999 View Post
I am on day 14 of strattera. I am 27/f and the side effects are too much to handle.
After 14 days you probably have nothing to worry about. If you have 1 pill left you could take it today (if you feel you need to) so you don't have to page your doctor. Medical problems are logistically much easier during business hours.

However, you were supposed to start 60mg on Monday; how were you going to get that? Written script, called in already, or ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaucusRace View Post
So anyway, short story is, there wasn't any adverse effects when I stopped Strattera. The only thing my doctor said was to wait two days before starting back on my usual Dexedrine.
My doc let me overlap. I had no problems with that, other than Strattera's nasty groin-pain side effect (no effect on functionality though).
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-09, 08:00 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

surferdude123 has a spectacular aura aboutsurferdude123 has a spectacular aura about

a lot of people state they can just stop it. others say they can't.

according to the literature (NEJM, Lancet, American Journal of Psychiatry)

there are no withdrawal effects, like Effexor, etc.

I am a current ADD-Inattentive sufferer and in med school, taking 80mg of strattera.

it works wonderfully, however, the insomnia is annoying. other than that, and a dry mouth, I don't notice much side effects.

initially i noticed having to really push to urinate, but thats since gone.

I've been on it for about 5 weeks now. So peak time to notice improvement.

titration with this drug is very important when first starting.
Old 02-22-09, 06:02 PM

smartpath is on a distinguished road

At 14 days you will be only beginning to feel the strattera boost on your concentration. I would advice you to try it at least for one month. That is also when the side effects become more manageble. I've taken strattera for 3 years and the only thing that I feel when I stop taking it (on vacations I don't take to save on money) is a little bit of anxiety, and of course I become more forgetfull, disorganized although very energetic 36 hours after my last dose.