ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-09, 05:41 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Communicators is on a distinguished roadCommunicators is on a distinguished road
Emotional Intelligence - Right versus Left Brain

Please read both of the below articles. I find it extremely interesting and so may many of you. And please, moderators, don't delete this post because of the two occurrences of the word "God". I don't think that it is a coincidence that I became knowledgeable about my latest, and only, forum warning seconds after I came across this information.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emotional Intelligence
http://www.trans4mind.com/heart/

Since he has been on Earth, Man has had to face a dangerous environment. As population increased, the need arose to share knowledge and organize resources. Language and conceptual thinking developed in sophistication, with specialized brain centers becoming adapted for the task. Teaching of young people concentrated on this rational aspect of intellect, which is a left brain activity, and right brain functions (including intuitive and emotional processing) were no longer part of the masculine stereotype. But this limited form of intelligence has its problems. The Middle East conflict and many other events preceding and inevitably to follow, show that something is missing. The Western world is full of IQ teaching oriented to the left brain - rational and irrational focused thought processes, but not a single school for EQ (Emotional Intelligence) which fully encompasses and integrates right brain activity - non-verbal, holistic thought processes including emotions based on perception of real experience and holistic understanding and the resulting intuitive feelings.
Intelligence of the heart is lacking in our culture, so that all too often, instead of acting with integrated reason and feelings, we react with the emotional maturity of spoilt children. Instead of being recognized and understood consciously, emotions are supressed or resisted, giving them subconscious power. They then drive our behavior, and we use our rational intelligence to justify such behavior. Instead of conscious persons who understand why they feel and consequently behave as they do, we have become subconsciously driven and susceptible to cultural conditioning - even hypnosis and brainwashing. Our unempathetic and unethical behavior - and the corresponding lies and rationalizations that result - destroy our spiritual integrity.
In the whole of life, you have only two ways:
  1. The way of Love and its components: empathy, trust, certainty, confidence, understanding, etc...
  2. The way of Fear and its components: lies, refusal to understand, harmful acts, withheld communication, etc...
This is the whole scene regarding those old archetypes: forces of the light and forces of the dark. At any moment, we can be part of either one side or the other depending on whether we act through love or through fear. As we create every second, our creation is either towards light or darkness. And God, which is the sum of all consciousness, encompasses both our light and our darkness. Earth experience is mainly the opportunity to decide which way (towards light or dark) we want to create.
There is clearly a great need for an increased understanding and practice of Emotional Intelligence in our culture. In the world of business, factors that are really important to succeed in an ethical manner are dependent on EQ: the cooperation of employees, creativity and open-mindedness, understanding of another's point of view, ability to use empathy in negotiations, the quality of leadership and communication.
These factors are equally important in the running of schools, health services, local government and politics. They are an essential part of our personal and spiritual development and perhaps most importantly, they are principles that our children need to be taught.

The Intuitive Brain and ADD
http://borntoexplore.org/addint.htm

ADDers are often said to be highly intuitive. What is intuition? First of all, it's not ESP, and it's not instinct, although the word intuition has historically been used that way. It's an extremely important and powerful form of non-linear intelligence, useful for deciphering patterns from chaotic situations.
I've run across several references to ADDers being highly intuitive, including "The Hidden Gifts of ADD" by Ned Hallowell, M.D. Intuition is form of subconscious intelligence possibly used by the right brain to discern complex patterns and relationships. It is highly underrated. All small children learn primarily through intuition, and at an extremely fast pace (gee, they also have short attention spans, are impulsive, and fidget a lot....hmmm). For example, they learn to speak complex sentences through "absorption," without having any understanding of grammar. Imagine if you had to teach every child language by explaining to them that each sentence must have a noun. You don't, because their subconscious biological computer called intuition has already figured that out, without the child's knowledge. Music is also learned intuitively. People cannot usually explain that the pattern of first, third and fifth notes on the scale has a pleasing sound to their ears because of the mathematical relationship of vibration wavelengths. But our subconscious intelligence knows these relationships. Small children given intense music lessons have sudden increases in their mathematical abilities.
Types of intelligence:
For the purpose of this page, there are three types of intelligence; the following definitions come from usage in the biology and temperament fields.
1. Instinct. This is now thought to be inherited intelligence unique to a particular species. Like a hard disc with information on it before it leaves the factory. For example, a bird knows to sing a certain song, and a dog knows to growl when angry. Humans instinctively know to suckle when infants. Children (and adults) are instinctive afraid of spiders and snakes unless taught otherwise. Many adults will jump with fright when startled by a big spider, followed by embarrassment because they know the spider is harmless.
2. Intuitive Intelligence. Intuitive intelligence is the ability to learn complex skills and solve problems on a subconscious basis; for example, a child learning to speak without learning the rules of grammar. The rules of grammar actually were learned, but the child cannot tell you want they are. This type of intelligence is particularly powerful at picking up patterns in a seemingly chaotic situation. When the right answer to a complex problem pops into your head but you can't figure out how you came up with it, it's probably the product of your intuition. Important: Intuitive intelligence is better at solving certain types of complex problem than our conscience, sensory intelligence.
3. Sensory Intelligence. As described by Jung, sensory intelligence is our ability to think logically and to learn new facts in our world. As children grow up, their ability to learn intuitively appears to decrease as their ability to think methodically and logically increases.
Everyone people possess all three types of intelligence. Sensory intelligence is what we normally think of as intelligence because it is conscience thinking, while the other two types are more mysterious and subsequently discounted. Intuitive intelligence is used to identify relationships and concepts while sensory intelligence is used in remembering details and linear thinking.
A stereotypical ADD child is doing poorly in school and is a complete whiz on computers. Why? Partly because computers are best learned intuitively. Just sit down and start hitting buttons, and see what happens. Do it enough, and that subconscious intelligence starts picking up complex patterns and relationships. The intuitor begins to get an instinct for what to try next, while the average person with predominant sensory intelligence lacks this advantage and wants detailed written instructions or someone to teach them each new thing they do on the computer. I suspect this is one reason why intuitors are so over-represented on the internet.
Intuitors have differences in how they perceive and retain information. Their memories are often impressionistic and lacking detail. One ENTP intuitor described it this way:
  • "I was 10 when I realized that I was in awe of my S [sensory intelligence] mother's memory. She'd describe every detail of a store, recall the exact coarseness of the velvet upholstery, remember photographically where a slightly skewed landscape painting was hung, remark upon how the clerk's left cuff link was tarnished and his thumbnail broken; meanwhile, I'd recall that the place seemed dark and cluttered, maybe dusty, and that the clerk might have been a man. I knew that there was a secret world of miniscule, fleeting and sometimes glaring things which was visible to most earthlings, but rarely to me; that's why the kids called me "space cadet" and waited to watch me trip on the sidewalk cracks. I knew that, in the classroom, they "saw or heard, then remembered" - while I never saw and never heard, and usually had to figure out what I should have remembered. Even though I usually had the answer right, I regarded them as superior; my mother and my classmates seemed gifted with especially acute senses while I was burdened with the need to compensate for my poor powers of observation. Fortunately my N [intuitive] father was also a descendent of the Space Cadet Clan - as spaced out, zoned out, ditzy, "in the clouds" and oblivious as I was - and, as the philosophical extraterrestrial told the stuttering spaceman, I knew that I 'was not alone'.... "
Intuitors lose detail, but more often get the big picture. They are also good at coming up with ideas, concepts, and relationships that others miss. Hallowell says that ADDers are highly intuitive and have "flashes of brilliance."
My own personal example: In English Class, my peers were discussing a book we had all read. I couldn't remember the names of any characters or places, dates, or even the sequence of events which occurred in the story, and felt truly stupid. Granted, I had skimmed entire paragraphs in my rush to read the book at the last minute. OK, I skimmed some pages. Alright, I admit I completely skipped a few of the middle chapters, but the point is, I couldn't remember any detail and was mortified that everyone else could. But when our written summaries of the book were graded, the professor pulled me aside after class and said I was the only person in the class who really understood what the story was about . And he said he would have given me an A, but my spelling was horrible and my paper too sloppy. (I've been working on my spelling ever since.)

Left Brain vs. Right Brain
Both ADDers and highly creative individuals are thought to have differences in the left brain vs. right brain relationship.
"We have all met people who are good at grasping facts but tend either to be too literal in interpreting them or to miss the point altogether. Likewise, we know others (often people with artistic talent of some sort) who are erratic in dealing with facts and do poorly on tests but who have an amazing ability to grasp the gist of a story, the subtle shadings of meaning. We can only speculate whether these differences can be traced to hemispheric specialization" - Howard Gardner (author of "Multiple Intelligences") from "Art, Mind & Brain."
Well, I like to speculate and have absolutely nothing to lose. So here's a list of right brain vs. left brain characteristics which I found on the Net. I'm told the list is partly popular conjecture and partly fact (the brain is really still a mystery). But lets run with it anyway, just for the shear fun of it .
Right Brain Traits:
  • Intuitive: Follows hunches, or feelings, takes leaps of logic.
  • Nontemporal: having little or no awareness of time.
  • Random: arranges events and actions haphazardly.
  • Causal and Informal: deals with information on basis of need or interest at the time.
  • Concrete: relates to things as they are commonly known or understood. Explicit, precise.
  • Holistic: sees whole things all at one, overall patterns. Leading to divergent ideas.
  • Visual: uses imagery, responds to pictures, colors, shapes.
  • Nonverbal: responds to tones, music, body language, touch.
  • Visuo-spatial: uses intuition to estimate, perceives shapes.
  • Responsive: listens to music.
  • Originative: interest in ideas and theories imaginatively.
  • Emotional: suspicious judgment until it feels or seems right.
  • Learning: through exploration
Left Brain Traits:
  • Methodical: organizes information, classifies, categorizes, structures.
  • Temporal: keeps track of time, thinks in terms of past, present, future.
  • Sequential: arranges events and actions in consecutive succession.
  • Linear: thinks in terms of sequence, one thought directly following another. Leads to convergent conclusions.
  • Factual: deals with details, items, the particulars, features of a thing.
  • Verbal: used words to name, describe, and define things.
  • Systematic and Formal: processes information methodically, in a well-planned way.
  • Learning: through systematic plans
    After reading the above lists, it may seem that ADDers are simply missing their entire left brains, but I haven't yet run across that in the literature. What I do find are theories about "disinhibition from normal levels of dominant hemispheric control." I think that means the left brains aren't quite as dominant in ADDers as they are with "normal" people, so the right brain has a looser rein, so to speak. The right brain is therefore allowed to go further, to do more.