ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-09, 09:15 PM

spaghettibrains will become famous soon enough
Homelessness and ADHD

I was fired recently from a OTR tractor trailer job. I drove well over 100,000 miles last year. I wasn't fired for my driving. It was for paperwork,
specifically logs. Basically not handing them in. Not keeping them current then trying to remember what I did and where I was.

I only had a few thousand left when I was fired. Now that's gone. Im currently enjoying the pleasures of my hometown NYC. I might write a book New York on $0 a day.

I have full blown depression now. Cursing myself, something as asinine as not writing things down caused me to be impoverished. I am a high-tech homeless guy and still have my laptop.

I have had a life long problem with the symptoms of ADHD. It's amazing, what are seemingly innocous behaviors can have such drastic consequences.

The sad part is I've suffered before. And I always say the same thing. This time I'm going to "keep track", get organized, write things down etc.

I actually hired a coach a week prior to being fired. I met with her twice. The second time before the visit i said to myself "I am not a moron, I dont need help". But it was a bit to late I was basically canned,they just had to get me loads going west to get their truck back.

All the crap about whether ADHD or `ADHD like symptoms are "real". They are feeling pretty real for me right now

It's a cruel irony. I have a relatively high intellect, I don't drink,no drugs,excellent health and physically fit. And I'm homeless entirely through my own fault. How I'm getting out of this one I don't know.

.My work history is a poor to say the least. I can't get an OTR job due to the termination. Trying to maintain sanity in these circumstances is pretty hard.

When you see homeless people on the street, you see some that are profoundly disturbed. Maybe they weren't always that way. They might have been fired due to disorganization,then snapped from the stress.

But lucky me I have a relatively strong constitution. So I can enjoy this in all its glory. So basically count your blessings things could always be worse.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to spaghettibrains For This Useful Post:
γ-quantum (03-09-09), ADHDTigger (02-10-09), Lola (02-10-09), LostInTheStars (02-11-09), mADD mike (02-10-09), MusikGeliebter (03-24-09), prtsimmons (03-09-09), reesah (02-12-09), somuchbetter (02-10-09), Song of Mercy (02-10-09), timtam (02-10-09), tresjoli45 (04-19-09)
Old 02-10-09, 02:38 AM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,143 Times in 1,772 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Homelessness and ADHD

Is there any one in the New York area who can help this fellow ADDer out?

Sorry to hear about your tough break brother. If it is any consolation you are not alone. I have a suspicion that there are a number of forum members here who are essentially homeless -- sleeping in their cars or couch surfing. (If you are on the "couch circuit" you should consider yourself homeless. One day your luck will run out and you will find yourself outdoors...)

In my own case I was dismissed from my job in September of 2007 -- in part for not making a log entry. I have been living the tempin' life since then, with a part time job working at a hardware store on the weekend. If it wasn't for an understanding roommate I would have ended up on the street. (Are you eligible for unemployment? As I have noted elsewhere my employer was successful in denying me my well earned unemployment benefits. )

I know what it's like to have a recent dismissal on one's job record. I can say that it does get easier to handle with every interview you do. Luckily there is an awareness out there that employers now are more than ready to use any pretext to shed staff. (Does your failure to keep a log preclude driving shorter assignments? Having a CDL is still a boon from what I can see looking at the help-wanted ads here in Seattle...)

Hang in there and stay in touch. (Avoid pawning that laptop -- if you can.) As my grandfather -- who lived through the Depression -- used to say: "This too shall pass."

-- Oscar Wilde
Old 02-10-09, 04:44 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,005 Times in 631 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future

re: disorganization.

I think you are talking about problems with your brain's Manager (Executive Function).

You can read about Executive Dysfunction here:http://www.chrisdendy.com/executive.htm
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-09, 08:47 AM

Thanked 3,128 Times in 1,637 Posts
Song of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant future

I feel for you SB, I have been homeless 7 times as an adult. I have slept in the car and when that was gone slept under large awnings just praying for dawn. I have had a good run this time. I was in a house and a great job for a few years before my last homeless experience...that in turn got me disability...now I have had a house for about 7 years.

I wrote this to tell you that I feel your pain and if its not to offensive will be praying.

Song
ADHDTigger (02-10-09), FinallyAnswered (03-09-09), mADD mike (02-10-09), pADDyjay (02-11-09)
Old 02-10-09, 10:07 AM

Lola will become famous soon enough

Write that book....or any book! Your post made great reading and you describe things well and with humour! Do it, you could be the next JK Rowling
FinallyAnswered (03-09-09)
Old 02-10-09, 11:21 AM

Thanked 1,005 Times in 631 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future

I just read a book about a family who was homeless for this very reason. The daughter and mom were chronically homeless. The mother was brilliant but couldn't do the life skills things she needed to do to maintain and income and apartment for them.

It is called Learning Joy from Dog's without Collars.

http://www.lauraleesummer.com/
Old 02-10-09, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensU_girl View Post
re: disorganization.

I think you are talking about problems with your brain's Manager (Executive Function).

You can read about Executive Dysfunction here:http://www.chrisdendy.com/executive.htm
My I.Q. is alledgedly in the top 5%. I was an honor student. I've always heard how intelligent I am. But the simple simon things in life trip me up.

When I was 22 I described my behaviors as being worse than being an alcoholic. And lo and behold I have the life of one.

I've suffered before, but it's not a manner of "learning your lesson". If the capacity to do certain things just aren't there or do not function properly you can have "lesson" after "lesson" and still not learn.

If and when I do get out of this. Paying a coach or someone to keep me on track would be as vital to my existence as air.

Right now I am doing the stereotypical homeless thing......I'm in the library. One of the projects I'm working on is:
"The Homeless Diet" how to lose 5lbs. a week guaranteed.
1. First get yourself fired.
2. Run out of money.
3. Become homeless.
4. Walk aimlessly (with a gym bag or napsack) for miles and miles everyday.
Do this and you are guaranteed to shed the pounds and have great legs.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spaghettibrains For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-10-09), QueensU_girl (02-16-09), Song of Mercy (02-10-09), timtam (02-10-09)
Old 02-10-09, 01:02 PM

Thanked 3,128 Times in 1,637 Posts
Song of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant future

Hey SB, you do have a knack for being funny. I lost 40 pounds last time.

Song
Old 02-10-09, 01:35 PM
Committee of One

Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth I would advise anyone who recently lost their job to apply for food stamps. It is one of the only programs out there in this country for adults without children. (Ironically increased funding for this were cut from the "stimulus" bill now in the Senate. How formerly working people are to survive until the recovery allegedly arrives is a damn good question...)

SB you may have been an honor student etc. That was then. The priority now -- for everyone -- is survival.
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
Song of Mercy (02-10-09)
Old 02-10-09, 03:12 PM

Thanked 13,633 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

SB- have you been treated for your ADHD? Are you getting treatment now?

Have you tried First Call For Help yet? You can reach them by dialing 211 (free call) or on the web at http://www.firstcallforhelp.info/ for your area. They can at least get you information on the resources available to you. Don't be afraid to play the ADA card- it is obvious that you are profoundly impacted by your ADHD.

I have been exactly where you are now. Sofa surfing followed by day labor and prayer. Former Mensa member, articulate, capable, technology professional... none of it made a darned bit of difference when the chips were down.

Coaching makes a great deal of sense. So does medication if you choose to go that route.

You didn't choose to have ADHD. There was no option. You have it. You didn't ask for the challenges that you have to deal with. Right now, you need to get into some arrangement that is more stable than what you are dealing with- preferably BEFORE you slip a cog.

Let us know how you get on. We really do care.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
mADD mike (02-10-09), Retromancer (02-10-09), Song of Mercy (02-10-09), spaghettibrains (02-10-09)
Old 02-10-09, 07:12 PM
Committee of One

I heartily agree. Once you get stabilized I would strongly urge you to take advantage of your states vocational rehabilitation program. One of the good things about these programs is that they are not means tested -- you are not going to be penalized for your last years income. Have no doubt that you are eligible -- AD(H)D is emphatically considered a disabling disorder.

I am taking my own advice -- I just got back from an appointment with my DVR caseworker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDTigger View Post
Don't be afraid to play the ADA card- it is obvious that you are profoundly impacted by your ADHD.
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-10-09), mADD mike (02-10-09), meadd823 (02-18-09), sloppitty-sue (02-11-09), Song of Mercy (02-10-09), spaghettibrains (02-10-09)
Old 02-10-09, 08:32 PM

I actually went to vocational rehab previously.When I lived in Florida. I was tested for 6 hrs. Then additional vocational assesment for about 3 hrs. They sent me to a psychiatrist I was prescribed I think straterra.

That's where I was told I was "highly intelligent". Unfortunately the case worker pretty much sucked.7 mos of nothing. So I took the over the road job. I knew the one thing that would affect me was the logs.

I went for help along time ago. One of my problems was "I'll work eighteen hours a day but won't take two min. two write down what I did". That same problem got me in this situation.

I gave up on getting help. When I tried when I was younger I got psychobabble nonsense, like "I had a fear of success". I was looking for someone this year. I was willing to pop pills anything even if it had a placebo effect. I finally found a psychologist willing to coach. But as I stated I was already basically fired. Day late dollar short."Getting help" is a kind of hard when you have money. Without it you are pretty much screwed.

I appreciate the kind words and advice. New York is actually a homeless mecca....................lots of libraries.

p.s. I've done the day labor thing too
Old 02-10-09, 09:02 PM

Thanked 13,633 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Sweetie, I KNOW you have been through the wringer. I hate to say this but you absolutely HAVE to keep swinging. There is so much more known and available today than there has been in the past.

If you can get in to see a doc, don't be afraid to tell them that you have ADHD. It was already diagnosed. The most they will do is confirm that. If they offer Straterra, tell them what your result was with it.

GET YOUR TAIL INTO A SHELTER THAT WON'T KICK YOU OUT IN THE MORNING!!! You have a valid disability. USE IT!!! Start down the Voc Rehab road again. Yes, it may be a waste of time. Do it anyway. The drifting is only making this MUCH harder for you.

Keep talking to us. For now and until you can find your feet, let the forum provide you with some structure.

Please. Decide that you are worth all the effort you can make. Obviously, we think you are.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
Retromancer (02-11-09), sloppitty-sue (02-11-09), Song of Mercy (02-10-09)
Old 02-10-09, 10:17 PM
Jr Member

Lalita is on a distinguished road

OK i know this sounds HORRIBLE. But seriously, if i knew I was in your sistutation and had no other option I would go tell a mental hospital (or the police if you want a ride there) that im feeling down on life and it is spiraling out of control because of your undiagnosed add. They'll commit you and will help you with your add problem. I know this for a fact because my brothers friend got diagnosed with his add this way (although he honestly didnt know he had it, he was trying to kill himself). Please don't get offended by this post I am in no way tring to say your incapable of handling your affairs in a different way. Im just saying it is an option, and you DO have a legitimate reason to seek help.

p.s. i know i am very knew to this but I have read that strattera is not as effective, you need to push yourself to follow up and get put on a more helpful medicine. I know how hard it is to get to the doctor or do follow ups but if in the end it puts your life in order you will be thanking yourself forever for it.

p.s.s. i just have to add one thing more, i am so sorry i do not live near you guys out there needing help. i am very unmotivated, but by hearing people in bad situations it brings tears, i know if i could i would come to where you are and make sure you took care of yourself. as unambitious as i am in life i am very serious in helping people, if i could i would follow you around and make sure you followed up with your add. and tiger i would let you sleep on my couch ;p.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lalita For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-11-09), LostInTheStars (02-11-09), spaghettibrains (02-12-09)
Old 02-11-09, 04:52 AM
Committee of One

Brother I have my own personal collection of clueless middle-class professional tales. Nor is this my first -- or second -- time using the services of DVR. The dilemma is you essentially have to be a full-time advocate to simply get the services you need. I would encourage you to use the time your spending in the library to do the research you will need to be such an advocate.

Listen to Tigger my man, she is talking sense.

"This too shall pass."

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettibrains View Post
I actually went to vocational rehab previously.When I lived in Florida. I was tested for 6 hrs. Then additional vocational assesment for about 3 hrs. They sent me to a psychiatrist I was prescribed I think straterra.

That's where I was told I was "highly intelligent". Unfortunately the case worker pretty much sucked.7 mos of nothing. So I took the over the road job. I knew the one thing that would affect me was the logs.

I went for help along time ago. One of my problems was "I'll work eighteen hours a day but won't take two min. two write down what I did". That same problem got me in this situation.

I gave up on getting help. When I tried when I was younger I got psychobabble nonsense, like "I had a fear of success". I was looking for someone this year. I was willing to pop pills anything even if it had a placebo effect. I finally found a psychologist willing to coach. But as I stated I was already basically fired. Day late dollar short."Getting help" is a kind of hard when you have money. Without it you are pretty much screwed.

I appreciate the kind words and advice. New York is actually a homeless mecca....................lots of libraries.

p.s. I've done the day labor thing too
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-11-09), firstdesserts (03-17-09), meadd823 (02-18-09), sloppitty-sue (02-11-09)